Grates for a New Yorker WC90 Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richyrich

Dec 12, 2016
Northern VT
Anyone know where I can find grates for my New Yorker WC90 boiler? I can't seem to find anything online or anywhere else. My only solution may be to lay a metal plate with a bunch of holes and slots in the bottom of the firebox above the ash pan. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I believe this is a wood/coal appliance. Your solution to lay a steel plate over the existing grates will be an improvement over the original grates if you are burning only wood. For wood fuel you don't need as many holes or slots as you think you do. cut the plate about 2 inches short and push it all the way to the back of the firebox leaving a 2 inch gap in the front. This has worked for me or should I say my friends that I have helped in the past.

Thanks for the quick reply Fred61. Yes, it's an indoor wood/coal add on boiler to an oil fired boiler. I get my wood for next to nothing around here so I only burn that and occasionally cardboard, empty cereal and pizza boxes. Many years ago I used to burn anything and everything in there including my kids s***ty diapers, but that's another story. Anyway thanks for the tip on the 2 inch gap in the front, something I didn't think of, as there is a small blower sending air underneath the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.