GREAT way to get all pellets out of hopper!

tonyiiiafl Posted By tonyiiiafl, Mar 9, 2019 at 6:40 AM

1. tonyiiiafl

tonyiiiafl
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2016
    Loc:
    Cape Cod, MA
    I own a Harman Accentra insert. I always had pellets that would drain fine from the middle of the hopper, but the sides would get jammed up a bit and not flow down due to paraffin buildup. I solved my issue. Once hopper was emptied, I took some 240 sand paper and cleaned the hopper throughly. Then some 409 or Puple Power spray cleaner to wipe it down. Next, I applied 2 layers of premium car wax or Carnuba wax. Buffing it down with a micro fiber cloth. Now the hopper flows to about 95% empty! The pellets have no drag as they trickle down and don’t get stuck. About every month when I shut down for a full cleaning, I wipe with the cleaner and apply another coat of wax. This gets me another 2 or so hours of burn time on the single load of pellets.

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers!

Tony

c.stevens likes this.
  2. Paulinator

Paulinator
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 27, 2017
    Loc:
    SW WA
    Thank you for sharing, I have that same problem. I'll have to give it a try. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kenora

kenora
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2007
    Loc:
    Kenora, Ontario, Canada
    Had the same trouble with my pelpro 130 ... I didn't bother with the sanding...just waxed her down with carnuba wax.. now 99% of the 120 lbs gets to the auger... great tip..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    c.stevens likes this.
  4. Former Farmer

Former Farmer
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 12, 2008
    Loc:
    NE Wisconsin
    Furniture polish also works unless you have a lot of fines in your pellets.

5. tlc1976

tlc1976
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Northwest Lower Michigan
    I've never had this problem with buildup on the hopper walls or sticking pellets. It will empty 100% on its own, even a couple months ago when I forgot to put in a bag before going to work. Does a certain pellet do this more than others, softwood maybe?

6. tiger

tiger
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 3, 2014
    Loc:
    Seabrook, MD (DC suburbs)
    Not sure I understand the sandpaper part -- but I like the rest of it, and might try it. I think I have some Blue Coral in the garage almost as old as I am...

7. jp99

jp99
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jan 7, 2015
    Loc:
    Ohio
    That's a good solution. I wonder if another method might be to wipe the hopper down with powdered graphite every so often?

8. mikkeeh

mikkeeh
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2011
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I had a similar problem with my p43. The inside of the hopper was coated with......something. Almost seemed like a non slip spray on finish. It would leave 4-5 pounds of pellets in the hopper. I sanded it down , and put on several coats of paste wax. Worked well. Harman seemed to have no idea what the coating was or how it got there...but sanding and waking was their suggested fix.

9. Yooper Doug

Yooper Doug
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 20, 2017
    Loc:
    Michigans Upper Peninsula
    Definitely sounds as if it will work. My P43 needs persuasion when the hopper gets half empty