Green Team pellets.....bunching up in burn pot....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
Ok, so i had mentioned that the GT gave me a small clinker/biscuit type after unit shuts down....so based on my understanding to do it i increased the air rate to its max and decreased the feed rate to its minimum.

What happens is that the pellets seem to bunch up in the burn pot, it reminds me the old Englander which used to do this rehardless of pellet brand.

I really like the heat from the GT, as a matter of fact to me they seem to burn hotter than the Somersets and much less carbon buildup in the cleaning rod. With Somersets the rod gets sticky more quickly than the GT, actually with the GT the rod moves really well and freely....BUT pellets seem to bunch up and at the end of the shot down there seems to be a formation of a clinker or biscuit-type.

I am really trying to "dial in" my stove and get the GT to burn to my likings if at all possible due to the good heat AND the price around here at Lowes.

Should I really just give up and pursue another brand more expensive????????? :confused:

If you like the heat and the price, I'd either keep trying to dial it in or live with it. I personally like GT's very much but Lowe's up here in Maine jacked the price up to $275/ton so I switched to MWP.

Reactions: mepellet
Hi Geek, I have the same as your ol' 25 PDVC and the GT do form a sort of clinker in mine also, it's a loose aggregate of ash and falls apart easily. Other brands didn't do this in my stove so it may be the chemical makeup of the GT pellets. Sometimes I get the clinker with them and many times not. I've played around with the feed rate and air flow and have minimized it but still get one a couple of times a week. I really like the GT, it's my second year burning them and I've been lucky to buy them for around $200.00 a ton in the Fall. You're right about the heat, they run around 250-270 degrees in my stove.

Reactions: geek
I see, thanks for the reply Lorne41.
My unit just went off and there was a medium formation of a clinker. The problem is that, based on my perception, when the pellets bunch up (due to the underlying formation underneath) the flame gets a bit lazy as it seems to be "suffocating" maybe due to the air restriction coming from below the pot.......it all makes sense but i wish i could address this somehow to avoid clinker removal every 2 days in the winter.:p

Take a couple of aspirin get a good nights sleep, and think about it!:cool:;ex

Hi
I see, thanks for the reply Lorne41.
My unit just went off and there was a medium formation of a clinker. The problem is that, based on my perception, when the pellets bunch up (due to the underlying formation underneath) the flame gets a bit lazy as it seems to be "suffocating" maybe due to the air restriction coming from below the pot.......it all makes sense but i wish i could address this somehow to avoid clinker removal every 2 days in the winter.:p

Hi Geek, same with my stove, the clinker forms and deflects the flame forward towards the door and smokes up my glass and it gets lazy. That's probably why we all tinker with our stoves to maximize the performance!
Every 2 days, if you remember your old 25-PDVC it's twice a day! LOL

I had the bigger 25-PDV but it's almost the same....yeah, it was painful.
It is true that this Napoleon doesn't have an agitator for longer runs; but at the same time it is definitely a BIG upgrade compared to the other unit....not looking back. ....:p

Geek, I talked to our buddy, He says the GT's do the same for him and he shutsdown every 16 hours to do a quick clean of just the burnpot. I told him to contact you. I wouldn't think you need to clean the burnpot, But maybe just turn it to low and quickly push the clinker to the ash pan or chop it up some. You will have to be the agitator if you know what I mean? ;)

ah, so he gets the same on his Thelin......interesting.....thanks for the feedback..!!

Geek, I talked to our buddy, He says the GT's do the same for him and he shutsdown every 16 hours to do a quick clean of just the burnpot. I told him to contact you. I wouldn't think you need to clean the burnpot, But maybe just turn it to low and quickly push the clinker to the ash pan or chop it up some. You will have to be the agitator if you know what I mean? ;)

I'd get a new stove before i have to shutdown every 16 hours, thats B.S.!!, GT has the worse ash i've seen, but the cleanest burnpot, your pellets should "dance" in the burnpot, not overload and clog.

Yes, I also noticed the ash volume with the GT. Just finished the 3rd test bag and cleaned the pot this morning.
Now testing for the first time Lignetics, the bag with the blue lettering name. Bought 2 bags last night just to check them out, price is up there though at $6.70/bag and around $290/ton......these smaller shops like True Value and Ed's Hardware are nuts...:confused:

I look for more airflow to get those pellets moving around so the air flow can eject the ash, if I can't do it that way I'd look for a means of reducing the fuel feed, if that all fails I'd look into some reversible modifications to try.

Oh and a very good cleaning before every test run.

I feel your pain with those GT's. I haven' tried them, but what you discribe is the same thing I get with Canadian Energex. Good heat, from them, but dirty burn. I burned my Energex for 2.5 years before switching over. That bird nest clinker you get will be there as long as you burn those. mixing with another brand did nothing to help. I can go a week with MWP before I need to clean. Have you tried the microwave moisture test?
Most reviews of the GT porduct are positive, so I have to think it is an issue of not being the right pellet for your stove.
No amount of cleaning or air adjustment has ever limited the clinker issue with Energex in my stove. I now can get a brand that doesn't do that, doesn't brake the piggy bank, and gives decent heat. I'll get more once I get more of these Energex used up. My issue is that everytime I buy more MWP, I use them over the old supply Energex. I even gave a ton away. My son is burning them in his Englander and likes them! If I get frustrated enough, he might end up with the rest of the ones I have!
Jay was spot on when he said the same pellets can can very different results in different stove, and with different stove owners. If I could afford to make a change, my next stove would be one of those that you hear others say that their stove will burn anything. Hind sight, 20/20

Yeah, would be nice to have those agitators, ha?

There are a couple positive things i give to the GT:
-great heat, better than my Somersets I think.
-minimal carbon build up in the cleaning rod up in the chamber, the Somersets will build some carbon up there so I need to be pulling the rod more frequently.

I know you swear about how good the MWP burn in the NPS40, I just haven't been able to score at least a couple bags to try.

Too bad I'm almost decided not to buy the GT, specially for the above positive things and the good price at Lowes minus a 10% coupon...:(

I'd get a new stove before i have to shutdown every 16 hours, thats B.S.!!, GT has the worse ash i've seen, but the cleanest burnpot, your pellets should "dance" in the burnpot, not overload and clog.

No worries for me mate, My stove runs for weeks on end with no touchy and no opening door at all! No problems with the GT's or any other pellet for that matter.

Jay was spot on when he said the same pellets can can very different results in different stove, and with different stove owners.
I have a couple of friends that burn the same stove and same pellets. Bought from the same place and are most likely the same batch. Night and day results. But there is a happy ending, The one that seemed happy, Bought the rest from the other for a steal. ;)

my next stove would be one of those that you hear others say that their stove will burn anything.
I tried to talk geek into one of those and almost had him! ;em

it's definitely the GT, i switched to lignetics and like my Somersets i get no clinker....

Jay, i might stop by the Bristol BT tomorrow, Debi said she has some innthe Suffield location....current price $245 is too high, plus delivery....yikes?

it's definitely the GT, i switched to lignetics and like my Somersets i get no clinker....

Jay, i might stop by the Bristol BT tomorrow, Debi said she has some innthe Suffield location....current price $245 is too high, plus delivery....yikes?

You getting a full ton or just getting a few bags to try? I stopped at TSC the other day and they have some more MWP in the stove bag. $4 and change a bag.

You getting a full ton or just getting a few bags to try? I stopped at TSC the other day and they have some more MWP in the stove bag. $4 and change a bag.

I am just picking up 5 bags to hopefully try before cool weather leaves us.

just called TSC for the hell of it she said they just raised the price MWP 240 per ton

Box store prices climbing and the pellet house prices dropping for spring deals. The box store pellet war is about over. They raise the prices in spring to make something on them before they pull out and sell the next seasonal item. I hear some Lowes have already jacked theirs up to $299/ton already.

I am just picking up 5 bags to hopefully try before cool weather leaves us.
I'm pretty sure you'll like them. Not as much heat as the GT's but I doubt you'll get a clinker in a weeks burning. Very light fluffy ash(might seem like alot, But actually well within super premium spec by weight!). Heat is decent. But because the bulk density is somewhat lower, You get a good compromise between long burns and good heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.