GreenwoodDraft At Idle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henfruit

Minister of Fire
I was wondering has any measured there draft at idle? I kanow they want between >05 to >07 for the right draft what would they like at idle. I an getting any where from .04 to .05 at times depending on how far i am into the burn.seems like a lot of air is getting in some where?

Yeah, my Seton will pull more draft than that at idle. And that's on a 6" stack.

Well, I expect some draft at idle. But you wouldn't believe some of the readings I was getting with a 6" stack w/ 2 90's and a tee! I'm embarassed to post them.
What I need to do seal my unit up around the edges, but I'm the biggest procastinator in the world. Some day.

i have 6 inch stack also sraight up about 15 feet from th bottom. i did some leak testing and found some at the door hinge side.at the damper , the side panels seemed ok. the smoke pipe had a little but i sealed that up. do you have gaskets on your load door and damper door?

this is how i get zero, and how i sealed up my door. the door took about 10 minutes. i had already installed a automotive gasket on my draft door, but that still needs to be sealed up a little better.

Attachments

• DSCF0343.JPG
    DSCF0343.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCF0298.JPG
    DSCF0298.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCF0309.JPG
    DSCF0309.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCF0313.JPG
    DSCF0313.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 252
2.beans said:
this is how i get zero, and how i sealed up my door. the door took about 10 minutes. i had already installed a automotive gasket on my draft door, but that still needs to be sealed up a little better.

You actually get zero draft? I have mine (Seton W-100) sealed up with a gasket on the door and draft and I sealed up the side panels with high temp RTV (600 degree) and I get anywhere from .02 to .12" WC when the draft is closed. I do not have a damper in the exhaust which may be the culprit. What exhaust temps are you at when the draft is closed? Mine are around 250-300.

No, I have no gaskets anywhere. I have minimal leaks arouond the door and the damper.

there must be some draft but it doesnt read on the manometer. i havent checked temp in a while but i think they get around 150* im getting a stainless flap made that will fit alot tighter than my my flame cut one with hope to comepletely stop air from moving thru the boiler. i do think the flap helps alot. after sealing it up and installing the flap it doesnt creep in temp. it can hold wood for longer periods of time where as before the wood would be gone when there was no call for heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.