Greenworks Electric Chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Anyone ever use one of these? I might be able to get one about half price used.
will be only for yard maintenance in a small yard.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Greenwor...75035&wl11=online&wl12=33705447&wl13=&veh=sem

I don't have any experience with an electric saw... just got a small electric snowblower to complement the tractor for walks and was pleasantly surprised by how well it did. I would have 2 concerns about an electric chainsaw:

1) Batteries are the cost limiting step and they tend to have short lifespans. My $190 electric Snow Joe snowblower has something like a $110 battery. I am hoping to get 5 years.

2) While I have never had to engage my chaps with any saw I have ever run (fingers crossed), there is some concern electric saws have too high of torque for safety gear to be properly utilized. Think of it as driving a car where the seatbelt doesn't work.

That being said, saw is probably whisper quiet... If you get it, let us know how it is.

same hear battery is as much as tool times, i would ever buy new or walmart there stuff is normally refurbs and seconds, never tell how old the battery is. i would buy an electric from home depot or lowes, i bought a ryobi weed eater very impressive life and power. i also so my limbing up to 5 or 6inches with a makita lxt sawsall. the batteries on the makita stuff last forever, have some i bought 6 or seven years ago still going strong as new

I don't have any experience with an electric saw... just got a small electric snowblower to complement the tractor for walks and was pleasantly surprised by how well it did. I would have 2 concerns about an electric chainsaw:

1) Batteries are the cost limiting step and they tend to have short lifespans. My $190 electric Snow Joe snowblower has something like a $110 battery. I am hoping to get 5 years.

2) While I have never had to engage my chaps with any saw I have ever run (fingers crossed), there is some concern electric saws have too high of torque for safety gear to be properly utilized. Think of it as driving a car where the seatbelt doesn't work.

That being said, saw is probably whisper quiet... If you get it, let us know how it is.

I am sure the concern about electric saws having too high torque for safety clothing is incorrect. If it were true there would be very obvious and serious instructions and disclaimers issued with the safety clothing.

Battery operation is nice, but like the others have said, battery powered tools you don't use frequently, YOU HAVE TO CHARGE THEM and THE BATTERY DIES WHEN YOU MOST NEED IT! You have to get a second battery to keep running when u have to charge the first one. My opinion? Nice gimmick with big $$ expenses when the batteries die.

A better alternative for your small yard is a corded electric saw and extension cord instead. A chain brake equipped one is nice (Poulan). Homelite has a 9amp and a 12amp model, but no brake.

Whatever you get, Make SURE you can get parts and service for the saw before you buy it (Google the model number and look for Parts).

Be a man. Buy a gas powered saw.

You're welcome.

Reactions: Jazzberry
Hopefully someone with experience with this saw will speak up. I do recall reading some reviews last summer and IIRC the Greenworks was not near the top of the list on one site and at the bottom on a couple others, but it depends on the model, some test better than others.
This review is informative, but they don't have the Stihl and Husky models in the test.
https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/outdoor-equipment/best-battery-powered-chainsaw-shootout/29018/

I will say that my experience with some modern lithium ion electric tools has impressed me. I built our woodshed and a full greenhouse with some 20v Makita electric tools and the power and battery life were quite impressive.

Last edited:
Can't really argue with that.

What would you recommend? I never have used a chainsaw before, would like something 14"-19" range.

I'm only teasing you. I'd recommend the $200 Echo saw for all around use for the money. HD has them, work well.

Just use ethanol free gas in it, and you'll get years of trouble free use from it.

Reactions: begreen
with battery tools makes a huge difference who made it, i do some electrical and i use it all the time. i wouldnt buy anything but makita or milwakee, the dewalt tools the batteries dont last. there is a big diff in batteries depends how much they put into it. i always just use my sawsall, just use the chainsaw on trees bigger than 6in

Can't really argue with that.

What would you recommend? I never have used a chainsaw before, would like something 14"-19" range.

If you've never used a chainsaw before and want to buy a new one then visit a local dealer. Thats what I did and they steered me in the right direction. I ended up with a Stihl MS211 that is plenty for general yard cleanup and homeowner tasks.

I'm sure some dealers will even let you test out the saws to see what works for you.

I have never owned a battery chainsaw but I work with a guy who bought an Ego brand. He just uses it around his yard and buys all his firewood. I think he said it had a 30 min run time, all depending on what he was cutting. I agree with the idea that brand makes a big difference with battery tools. My dewalt 18v lasted 10 years of hard use and then I just had them rebuilt. Quality can be repaired or rebuilt. You can buy a stihl 170 for under $200 and mine has lasted 8-9 years now.

Thanks everyone, the Greenworks in question was on a auction site, and has ended. It was more than I was comfortable with, not knowing the battery condition.
going forward, I will probably get something small (and or cheap), as I dont yet have a stove installed, but, have two spruce trees in my back yard that need the lower limbs removed, 4-6" diameter, 8 - 12' in length. thanks for all the suggestions. (and ribbing) ;)

You mention yard maintenance and a small yard, you might want to watch Craigslist for a use electric chainsaw that's a plug in.

I have a 20+ year old Mac electric that still works like new, and has great power and torque for what it is. As long as you can reach your trees with an extension cord, you're good to go, and they're usually cheap to purchase.

I'd have an issue with the batteries as other have mentioned, can be very expensive, and go bad when you're not using them. Cheaper, reliable alternative, and outside of sharpening the chain, should never cost you any additional $$.

I am sure the concern about electric saws having too high torque for safety clothing is incorrect. If it were true there would be very obvious and serious instructions and disclaimers issued with the safety clothing.

Sean-
Well, i have never tested it nor am I an expert but here is a thread from our own forum about it. Stihl apparently does/did have that warning:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/electric-chainsaw-and-chaps-warning.36621/

and here is another link making that same claim:
https://www.gemplers.com/tech/faq-cschaps.htm#chainsaw11
11. Can chain saw chaps be used with electric chain saws?
GEMPLER’s does not carry any chaps for use with electric chain saws. Electric chain saws have a higher torque and pose a different type of hazard than gas powered chain saws; therefore the chaps are not suggested for use with electric chain saws.

Actually, just went and perused the Stihl Chaps website.... this is the quote that comes up under every description:
"designed to reduce the risk or severity of injury in the event of contact with the rotating saw chain on a gasoline-powered chainsaw."

What about just going to your local tool rental and just renting one for a day or so for probably less than $20 for occasional use i would stay away from electric unless you plan on running it down and recharging at least monthly. Or you get more electric tools that use the same battery so you can swap around like a weed eater. If you did go battery you need to have at least 2 batteries as you dont want to be cutting and run out of juice and leave something dangerous while you wait to get charged back up

Have you tried it out yet? Thats a vintage saw so be sure to read up on the fuel/oil mix requirements and be careful not to touch the top of the tip of the bar to the wood since it doesn't have a chain brake.

Have you tried it out yet? Thats a vintage saw so be sure to read up on the fuel/oil mix requirements and be careful not to touch the top of the tip of the bar to the wood since it doesn't have a chain brake.

it needs some work, not pumping fuel to the carb. I squirted a bit of gas (mix) into the carb and it fired right up. so far the research on the gas/ oil mix I've done, says a 40 or 50:1 with a good synthetic oil will be OK. the manual calls for a 20:1 mix with std 30w oil (summer) or 10w in winter.

I do have that same Greenworks 40 volt 16" saw. It works fine. I've used it for all kinds of stuff and find it to be very handy to just pick it up and do small jobs on a whim. I've had no problems for the three years I've had it. I consider it as just another tool in the stable and supplements my Husqvarna.

The thing to look for in battery operated tools like this is the term "brushless". These are not DC motors, but operate through a computer controlled inverter so the motor can run as a more efficient AC motor. Less maintenance and provides more power to the chain. I imagine that's pretty much a standard these days, though. Yes, replacement batteries are expensive. For that reason alone, I don't think I'd buy a used one.

Oh, one thing I should mention is that this and probably other similar saws use a thin chain and bar. You do have to be careful to cut straight and keep adequate tension on the chain or the chain can jump off. They make it pretty easy to replace, but it's kind of frustrating when that happens.