Group opinion on Harman Accentra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

glockshooter

Jan 2, 2010
Wilkes-Barre PA
Folks, need opinions on how much i should be investing in a Harman Accentra fs. Stove is apx 18 years old, very low number serial. Over the past few years, I've replaced the control board, last year was the auger, gears and feed motor. Posted here about a crack i see developing in the feeder tube. If i'm looking at the right parts (namely the feeder body weldment), i think i'm looking at another $500-600 part. From what I can tell, it looks pretty involved to put in. hoping i can take a swing at it myself.
At what point is it too much to keep throwing parts at a stove and look at new? Granted, the Harmans seem to be starting at $5k, and St Croix doesn't have a lot of stoves on their website to pull me into a store to see.

My Harman is 15 years old and going strong. I'd keep it going but if it comes to replacing it I'll go with a ductless heat pump.

You've already replaced a lot of the wear parts, so maybe it'll be good for a while?

I'm doing the same thing with my 13 year old car right now. Even if I have to replace some expensive things on the car, it's still a lot cheaper than buying another car. I plan on keeping the car in good mechanical shape and will fix minor rust until "the wheels fall off."

But for a stove with a new price of $5k - $6k, you could reach the point where it's cheaper to buy a new stove.

Reactions: glockshooter
When something starts to nickel and dime me I replace it .
When it is one repair after the other and costs keep mounting
it is time to go . You repair the weakest link only having to repair the next link
and so on and so on. When you have had enough of sending a lot of time
doing repairs it is time to try a new one.
Just my nickel's worth

My XXV is getting up there and I have yet to even use it (bought it used this year and just turned it on enough to make sure it ran at all).

Looking through parts lists and being able to do my own work (hopefully), I figured the risk or replacing some (most?) parts was low relative to the cost of a new unit.

I certainly understand the frustration of always feeling like you are working on something. Financially it probably makes more sense to keep your unit, but if the annoyance of dealing with some issues outweighs saving some money then it is time to go.

Perhaps you can have the tube welded?

I was able to repair a crack in the feeder tube on my ‘06 Accentra insert using automotive muffler cement. It’s been holding for sever years now. A cheap and easy fix.

I was able to repair a crack in the feeder tube on my ‘06 Accentra insert using automotive muffler cement. It’s been holding for sever years now. A cheap and easy fix.
I've got mine puttied up with a furnace putty currently. Can't imagine i want that to be a long term fix though.

You've already replaced a lot of the wear parts, so maybe it'll be good for a while?

I'm doing the same thing with my 13 year old car right now. Even if I have to replace some expensive things on the car, it's still a lot cheaper than buying another car. I plan on keeping the car in good mechanical shape and will fix minor rust until "the wheels fall off."

But for a stove with a new price of $5k - $6k, you could reach the point where it's cheaper to buy a new stove.
I think im at the point of saying this is my last major repair. I don't feel like a fan going out is major, but after this, it's about all that's left. If it gets me 5 years out of it, I think i'll be good. Pricing on new is just a big nut to crack right now.