HAASE fiberglass tanks, any info available?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vtgent49

Jan 15, 2008
Central VT
I chatted at a trade show with a solar installer and he showed me printed info on Storage tanks made of fiberglass. They are standard, double wall tanks made to store fuels. The outer tank is a catch basin for leaks in the primary inner tank.

They come with a top and bottom, and the sidewalls are flat and rolled up to fit in doors. The installer firberglasses the parts together. The solar guy then foams between the tanks, about 6" I think.

He uses the 1200 gal model regualarily, for unpressurised storage.

Looked great, but now I can't find them or any info about them. They may have some business relationship with Viessmann.

Any sources?

I think you meant "Hasse" tanks. Someone posted a link on here sometime ago but here it is-http://www.haasetank.com/pages/energy.php. There is a video on youtube where you can watch a tank being assembled onsite. Did the guy give a price on the 1200 model? I believe its as pricey an option as any comparable tank.

I was really interested in the HaaseTank until I found out the prices, which were insane, to me at least.

instead, I'm doing a custom-fabbed 409 stainless modular tank for not much more than an STSS liner type of equivalent volume, although, if you figure in my plate HX and extra bronze pump, and the 75 ft of corrugated stainless subing for the DHW HX, maybe it's somewhere between the STSS and the Haase.

my tank system would probably cost less if it were not a one-off

BUT it'll survive a full boil-in-the-tank and out-live me, and I'll never need to wonder whether I will wake up to a basement full of hot water and steam from a failed EPDM liner or resin joint

I’m doing a custom-fabbed 409 stainless modular tank
Trevor, Any progress on the tank install ? Please post some pics when you can. Thanks.
Will

Willman said:
I’m doing a custom-fabbed 409 stainless modular tank
Trevor, Any progress on the tank install ? Please post some pics when you can. Thanks.
Will

the whole floor of the tank and three sides are in place and gasketed, bolted, and sealed. the 4th side and the top await futher work, as it will be too hard to "get in the tank" for the final measurements and install of final aspects if I bolt the 4th side on too soon. The fabrication work from the place that made it for me is really impressive; the assembly is not for the faint of heart, but has had no major hitches of any sort. the 75 foot spiral corrugated 3/4 stainless tube for the DHW HX is on site but not yet configured or installed in the tank. playing phone tag with a local stainless fabricator to make my vertical "stratification baffle" to go in the middle of the tank for the interface with the boiler and the house's primary/ secondary system. The ridiculously big Water - air HX is installed on top of the old oil furnace and I've fabricated and installed most of the duct work to tie that water-air HX back into the house's main ducts.

plate HX and a batch of Wilo Star 3 speed pumps and a pair of Tekmar 722 4-way valves (to keep counterflow on both sides of the plate HX, in both tank-charging and dis-charging modes were all ordered today, along with a lot else.

the day job has been insanely busy lately, and I have a lot of cut, split, and close to dry wood to get in from out of the woods and up next to the barn, which (along with working on my install) is why I've been scarce around here lately

I am taking a lot of photos, and hope to post some soon.

pybyr said:
instead, I'm doing a custom-fabbed 409 stainless modular tank for not much more than an STSS liner type of equivalent volume, although, if you figure in my plate HX and extra bronze pump, and the 75 ft of corrugated stainless subing for the DHW HX, maybe it's somewhere between the STSS and the Haase.

my tank system would probably cost less if it were not a one-off

Indeed it would/will. Final price on the tank system (tank, heat exchangers, insulation) should be pretty much identical to STSS tank packages, but for a stainless tank and no EPDM liner.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.