Haggling over a new car price

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One was fluffy and didn't know what she as talking about as the "best" she could do was $500 under the MSRP. Two others gave it a shot and dropped the price around $1,000. Two others came down significantly more and bidded back and forth once or twice. They were within ~$100 of each other.

Should have asked about the GM discount you can buy the car below dealer invoice.

I go to a high volume dealership, we bought one car the week after 9/11/01 they had seen the big slow down that became the 9/11 recesion, but were still selling about 10 cars a day. Normally they sell 30 +. When it gets near the end of the month Ford calls them to see how many cars they can take. Ford pays the transport fees, and gives the dealership extra incentives. The best part for me is that there is no haggling, the sticker price is shown on the window, the transport fees are subtracted, any rebates and incentives are listed, then the final price on the car. My Ranger was stickered at 14,000, I paid 9,500. My wife's focus was stickered at 14,500, we paid 9,500.
this dealer also has a used car center, I bought a '06 grand caravan used in '06 for 16,000, with 15,000 miles on it, everywhere else I was looking at closer to $20K.
We just bought a '12 Focus last year for 15K it was a 1 year lease return with 12,000 miles

In the 70's I bought a car from a GM friend at the Schenectady Chevy dealership. Got a good deal and learned that there are a number of different invoice prices.

No only one Invoice price but what the consumer can purchase for is a little different

Status
Not open for further replies.