Half-ton pickup redux

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pallet parts into a box slot on either end for chainsaw bar 2 saws per box , keeps them from going every where. never liked those plastic things

that's why I like the avalanche, you can fit 4x8 stuff in it and close the tail gate and tool boxes on the side in the fenders, you can do both.

I have seen oil air filters, not so much any more but I used to work on generators and the older diesel ones had it

sure enough, right after ole rusty hit 200K, she started leaking antifreeze all over the place and the brakes were all metal crunchy sounding... I got everything taken care of, and now it won't start without laying my foot on the gas....

sure enough, right after ole rusty hit 200K, she started leaking antifreeze all over the place and the brakes were all metal crunchy sounding... I got everything taken care of, and now it won't start without laying my foot on the gas....

This is the 1994 Chevy? Congrats on hitting 200k, sorry to hear about the troubles. Hopefully it does start and can still be driven. Is it a 350 V8?

probably vacuum leak or iac, trying to remember the one they have. some can clean and put back

just about broke in for a tbi sbc. I had a 89 I had for 10 years don't think I put more than a couple hundred bucks into. was over loaded and towed my camper a ton

My 1995 Chevy pickup was the singularly most unreliable vehicle of any type I have ever owned, by a substantial margin. In fact, I replaced so many damn parts on that thing (which I sold in 2005), that it was less reliable than any combination of three or four other vehicles I’ve owned, combined. At less than 10 years old, it seemed to have more problems any 20+ year old vehicle I’ve driven, so I’m amazed you still have the patience to have one running at all.

The real irony is that I replaced it with a 2005 Dodge, and wasn’t very happy to buy Dodge (on former reputation), but they were the only ones still offering manual transmission with a v8 extended cab. I owned that Dodge for 12 years, and the only repair it ever required was one ripped rubber CV boot on the front left. Total lifetime repair cost over 12 years was somewhere around $30.

Reputations developed 40+ years ago are apparently a very poor indicator of current fleet quality or reliability. I’ve since owned three Dodge products (that original Dodge, a newer RAM, and an SRT), and have not had to have a single repair on any of them. Yet they can’t escape a poor reliability reputation developed in the 1970’s, earned two owners prior (Chrysler -> Benz -> Fiat). Go figure.

probably vacuum leak or iac, trying to remember the one they have. some can clean and put back

just about broke in for a tbi sbc. I had a 89 I had for 10 years don't think I put more than a couple hundred bucks into. was over loaded and towed my camper a ton
I bought the truck for 300$ and have really only spent money on tires. When it does start, it runs smooth. So it seems like it's spark related not vacuum hose. It's from Wisconsin, so the whole thing is pretty rusted out. I'm not going to put a ton into it.

ign will make it run rough at idle
if it runs smooth just wont idle its idle function is messed up, which is the idle air control or some of the emmisions garbage, haven't worked on it in forever though been a lot of different vehicles in between, I would search full size chevy forum they had a lot of threads on common vacuum leak areas. I think the egr is one

My 1995 Chevy pickup was the singularly most unreliable vehicle of any type I have ever owned, by a substantial margin. In fact, I replaced so many damn parts on that thing (which I sold in 2005), that it was less reliable than any combination of three or four other vehicles I’ve owned, combined. At less than 10 years old, it seemed to have more problems any 20+ year old vehicle I’ve driven, so I’m amazed you still have the patience to have one running at all.

The real irony is that I replaced it with a 2005 Dodge, and wasn’t very happy to buy Dodge (on former reputation), but they were the only ones still offering manual transmission with a v8 extended cab. I owned that Dodge for 12 years, and the only repair it ever required was one ripped rubber CV boot on the front left. Total lifetime repair cost over 12 years was somewhere around $30.

Reputations developed 40+ years ago are apparently a very poor indicator of current fleet quality or reliability. I’ve since owned three Dodge products (that original Dodge, a newer RAM, and an SRT), and have not had to have a single repair on any of them. Yet they can’t escape a poor reliability reputation developed in the 1970’s, earned two owners prior (Chrysler -> Benz -> Fiat). Go figure.

really 2000 and later are the worst, I know a ton of pre 2000 ones that lasted forever, my dadsidea of an oil change is wait till its down a quart. still see it around though he bought a newer chevy because of the rust.
I know probably a dozen people that have bought a post 2000 1500 ram and had all sorts of issues, the fuse boxes are stupid design and they wont change it because its a grand in the dealers pocket every time. the wheels have fallen off all of the people I knows too, I had the pleasure of trying to fix one the hub plus axle, caliper, bracket everything gets destroyed and dodge parts are twice as much as chevy ones

it idles fine once it has started and i give it a couple of pumps on the gas. It either starts up on the first crank and keeps going, or just suddenly stops.

really 2000 and later are the worst, I know a ton of pre 2000 ones that lasted forever, my dadsidea of an oil change is wait till its down a quart. still see it around though he bought a newer chevy because of the rust.
I know probably a dozen people that have bought a post 2000 1500 ram and had all sorts of issues, the fuse boxes are stupid design and they wont change it because its a grand in the dealers pocket every time. the wheels have fallen off all of the people I knows too, I had the pleasure of trying to fix one the hub plus axle, caliper, bracket everything gets destroyed and dodge parts are twice as much as chevy ones

I never had to open the fuse box, so no experience there. In fact, I can’t remember ever having to open the fuse box on any vehicle I’ve owned in the last 20 years, it’s just a non-issue for me.

Car manufacturers do not refuse to fix known reliability problems, because “its a grand in the dealers pocket every time.” Intentionally creating or ignoring quality problems is a surefire way to lose massive business, as the big 3 all learned the hard way, 30 years ago.

I also find it very hard to believe that every person you’ve known with a Dodge truck has had the wheels fall off, that would make for quite a news story and subsequent vehicle recall. I do believe it’s possible you knew ONE person who’s ONE wheel fell off their ONE Dodge truck, I had the same happen with my Ford truck. In my case, it was a failed wheel bearing, due to a previous repair that was not executed correctly by some owner or mechanic prior to me owning the vehicle.

I remember looking at the [email protected] inch lug pattern on my first Dodge, at laughing at how wimpy it looked in comparison to the [email protected]” pattern on my prior Chevy, but it has never been an issue. My Chevy was undoubtedly built heavier, in all the places it didn’t matter, but that did not translate into reliability. Of course, I’m comparing a 1995 Chevy to 2005 and 2015 Dodge products, which is hardly fair. I assume they have all gotten better over the course of two decades.

Last edited:
The real irony is that I replaced it with a 2005 Dodge, and wasn’t very happy to buy Dodge (on former reputation), but they were the only ones still offering manual transmission with a v8 extended cab.

Unfortunately even used manual transmission full size pickup trucks are very hard to find. I looked for quite a while. I believe the last ones were around 2005 or so. But, the GM 4 speed auto (L460?) seems fine, simple as it is. Looking at the EPA figures, for some reason some full size pickup trucks actually get slightly better fuel economy with the automatic. Some new truck transmissions are I believe 9 speeds. I know someone with a 2018 that needed the whole thing replaced (under warranty) due to a rough shifting situation that couldn't be resolved with a repair.

Some new truck transmissions are I believe 9 speeds. I know someone with a 2018 that needed the whole thing replaced (under warranty) due to a rough shifting situation that couldn't be resolved with a repair.

My 2015 truck and 2016 car have slightly differing versions of the same 8 speed auto trans. It’s all they offer on big v8’s now.

The 8 speed auto gets better numbers in every style of racing, at least in the SRT cars, but the manual is still more fun. I also prefer manual when it’s slippery outside.

Last edited:
Unfortunately even used manual transmission full size pickup trucks are very hard to find. I looked for quite a while. I believe the last ones were around 2005 or so. But, the GM 4 speed auto (L460?) seems fine, simple as it is. Looking at the EPA figures, for some reason some full size pickup trucks actually get slightly better fuel economy with the automatic. Some new truck transmissions are I believe 9 speeds. I know someone with a 2018 that needed the whole thing replaced (under warranty) due to a rough shifting situation that couldn't be resolved with a repair.

I bought my first automatic ever a few years ago when I bought a new car- because the fuel economy was better, and the high gear on the stick was much lower than the high gear on the auto. It was kind of sad, and I still don't like the automatic very much.

I had to fix my father inlaws and my brother both bought 1500 quad cabs, those are just the people I am related too, personally know a lot more we ahd a bunch were I worked that had the same issues, they were traded early for chevies for reliability, all the work trucks and plows that were chevies had nothing but brakes and one of a half dozen had the cluster fail.

every dodge truck(Dakota to 3500) has the bcm under the fuse box right behind the headlight right where it gets all the salt and water and still is there, chevyies are always inside.
the wheel bearing separates without notice, they had them from almost new and didn't make any noise, he was on his way to my house was making noise for maybe 5 miles he said, then it fell off

they wernt beaten, neither have campers, my father inlaw has another comuter and once in a while hauls a 600lb qd, brother just drives it empty to work. both had the first wheel fall off within 60k

Last edited:
it idles fine once it has started and i give it a couple of pumps on the gas. It either starts up on the first crank and keeps going, or just suddenly stops.
if you go on rock auto and look up idle air control for it will show you what I'm talking about, they o back and forth and meter air at idle, but the can stick closed or not work so good when they get some miles. a lot of times I just clean the cone good and the seat in the tb.then try it first. might need reset(which on a tbi is just unplug the battery a while). its a very tiny area it has to meter and it gets a bunch of carbon build up. then it wont idle but will run fine other wise on the other parts of the tb and fuel injectors

Last edited:
if you go on rock auto and look up idle air control for it will show you what I'm talking about, they o back and forth and meter air at idle, but the can stick closed or not work so good when they get some miles. a lot of times I just clean the cone good and the seat in the tb.then try it first. might need reset(which on a tbi is just unplug the battery a while). its a very tiny area it has to meter and it gets a bunch of carbon build up. then it wont idle but will run fine other wise on the other parts of the tb and fuel injectors
thanks!

I bought my first automatic ever a few years ago when I bought a new car- because the fuel economy was better, and the high gear on the stick was much lower than the high gear on the auto. It was kind of sad, and I still don't like the automatic very much.

That's the case with every auto/manual comparisons I've seen, high gear is lower or much lower than than the same vehicle's auto. I wondered about the reasoning - I've heard the manufacturers justification was 'so the customer wouldn't have to downshift as much'! Ya'd think if you bought a manual, you know you're gonna have to shift! I had a Subaru Outback that ran around 3100 rpm at 65 mph in 5th (standard trans) while the auto (different year but exact same gear/diff ratio) I had was around 2650. Agreed it's kind of sad. My plan is to eventually get a older economical car, I want that to be a manual. I test drove one a manual trans. car a month ago and it made want one again big time.

Glad I got the truck though - got a load of wood last weekend. A lot of trees fell or split (especially pine) around here last month due to heavy wet snow and wind. The homeowner appreciated that I took it away.

Last edited:
had a ton of commuter cars over the years, the wife does 30k per year and i go 30-50k for the last 20 years. i had a dodge neon, that was the typical 4 cyl 5spd. it got 32-33 if you kept it to 55. but alot of my driving is highway and all those types of cars really tank because of the rpm like you say, was like 28-30 at 65. i have had gm w bodies, cutlass supreme, grand prix, and two monte carlos, they all get 35 on crap gas and 38 if i find real 100 gas hwy only and at 65 mph. they are tuned for low end torque and run about 1800rpm. as long as you get the mid package, not sport
the wife i get gm h body, if you get the base 3800 they get 32 mpg too, she had a bonniville, and 2 lucernes, she drives like john force, they hold up fine anyway.
normally keep a car 200 to 300k they seem to be better at not needing much maintenace

never liked autos either but not much choice anymore if you want something decent.

really pointless these million speeds are, the rear gear is the same, overall ratio is the same as the 4l60(pretty close) which is 95 percent of your driving. so all your real world mileage is based on engine, overall locked ratio, and areo dynaics. so my 04 5.3 avalache gets exactly the same mileage real world same conditions as the neibors and my dads new 17 s with same engine

really pointless these million speeds are, the rear gear is the same, overall ratio is the same as the 4l60(pretty close) which is 95 percent of your driving. so all your real world mileage is based on engine, overall locked ratio, and areo dynaics. so my 04 5.3 avalache gets exactly the same mileage real world same conditions as the neibors and my dads new 17 s with same engine

All of the newer pickups have sad wimpy rear gear ratios. 3.23 is standard on Dodge’s most popular package (Big Horn) highway queens, and Chevy and Ford are very similar. I had to search long and hard to find one with 3.93 gears and the other options I was seeking.

My old trucks were all 3.93 - 4.11, and I just don’t like the way the lower ratio rears drive. I’m only doing 5k miles per year on that truck, so MPG isn’t even a consideration.

my father and i tow 30+ campers, made sure it was towing gears, they both have 3.73. most of the chevies have those on z71 or towing/plowing setups. not sure on the neighbors but given the mileage he said when asking probably the same too, 354 s are pretty popular on them though it only gives you 1 or 2 more highway miles. i have only seen one 323, was a early 2000s v6 std cab my brother had for a while. sadly bought a new dodge 1500 when he got a trailer though(his friend works at a dealer) have to see what those get, think he has the smaller v8

dont know much about the others except the work trucks we had, i kinda kept an eye on maintenance and stuff on those, most everything was pre 2008. seems like the dodge ones all had too much rpm and was most of the problem with the hemi mileage. but every gm 6.0 was the same basically the same 11-15 mpg because of 4.10s

i have had gm w bodies, cutlass supreme, grand prix, and two monte carlos, they all get 35 on crap gas and 38 if i find real 100 gas hwy only and at 65 mph. they are tuned for low end torque and run about 1800rpm. ....

You both put on some serious miles! Interesting you mention the GMs with the V6s - I was considering those too. I've heard of someone buying a 4 cyl manual asking if there's something wrong since the highway rpm was so high, and their much larger Regal or Impala was not only turning less than 2k rpm on the highway but getting better miles per gallon at that! Very interesting you're getting about the same. or maybe even better than a 4 cyl w/manual on the highway. I'm probably close to 30k/year with the company van - but since I bring it home I can go with something with high miles for a car, won't use it for commuting. Yes the manual transmissions are enjoyable but I do like the comfort of a mid size or larger GM (or other co.'s) car.

Years ago my son had a '95 Cutlass Supreme - I really liked that car. Smooth engine (3.1V6) and ride. I don't think it had a tach though. I did 3 trips to his new house via highway about 20 miles away with the Silverado, the rest mostly local town roads since I've filled up. I'm a couple notches below half a tank, 245 miles since filled up. Just estimating/judging that is not bad considering it's a 5.3 V8. I know the Honda Pilot's tank was smaller, but at 245 miles I'd be around 1/4 of a tank. So, it seems the truck's economy can't be that much worse than the Pilot's.

And... I couldn't fit this in the Honda.

Wood in truck.JPG

my cutlass was about same year and engine, about 250k i traded it for the grand prix, had the 3.1 too, that one i put over 300k on and same mileage as new i had to rebuild the trans on that one and replace the alt, none of the other ones though. the first monte was an 04 with the 3400, basically same as the 3100. 200k on that the fuse box had some loose pins. the fool at monroe told me you are going to have to replace intake manifold gaskets, never did. the first thing i do with all my gms is flush the dex crap and fill it with prestone extended life. alot of people had the brown crud but was fine anyway, my mother has had two impalas same deal. the one i have now is the 3500, 240hp and still same mileage but if i got to pass a truck or something i can do it in a safe distance

the only ones i have had to get into the engine is the 3800 in the wifes bonneville and the first lucerne, they have stupid plastic intake manifolds and elbows that leak. they have a update though with thinker stuff lower gaskets and stuff i dont think it was 200 bucks for all that. one trans in the bonniville but she had it like 250k too. those cars are nice so is the lucerne, we always take those when we are going somewhere, gets it too if you want to go but if you are easy on the gas over 30 mpg is easy. and huge trunk if you got kids crap

reallty none of those suvs dont get very good mileage, why we have the cars

the trucks normally 18 local 20-22 i get with my ave, most of the trucks with the 5.3 are the same too

I know someone with a 2018 that needed the whole thing replaced (under warranty) due to a rough shifting situation that couldn't be resolved with a repair.
Been reading that there have been complaints and problems with early versions the new 10 speed transmissions. The design is common to Ford and Chevy (co-developed), but Fords seem to be having more issues. Not sure if that is just higher sales volume or what. Part of the issue appears to be with the computer programming which there is a tech bulletin recall for. There was also a faulty park pin issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.