Half-ton pickup redux

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over my short 39 yrs on this earth, I have heard countless stories of chevys, chryslers and fords with transmissions that died in the first 50k miles. Most recently, this last year, a coworker had the transmission die on his 30k mile chevy Equinox. Then so many injector and safety alarms that he hasn't driven it nearly a mile without an engine light on. He tried to lemon law it, it was at the dealer so much. They never got it fixed. Meanwhile, I was driving my 2006 Acura with 130k on the clock, that never had a problem.

Too many stories like this for me to buy American. Not that anyone is trying to convince me. Everyone has their own experiences. Everyone has their own bias. I think a big part of it is just continuing to buy what you grow up with and who you grow up around.
When I visit friends in KY, I think I'm the only foreign SUV driver in 100 miles. :)

EGR- has no place on any engine- why feed gunk and grit back into critical areas? Worst possible thing for direct injection type units.

Everyone has their own experiences. Everyone has their own bias. :)
Since its well established that they all break, all have bad model years and designs at times i have to consider other factors.
I would say im bias to American brands. As a small business owner, i tend to buy from(patronize) those that buy from me. Iv never sold a house to any foreigners from Japan or South Korea or Germany so i wont be buying any cars or trucks from them in general. With all their faults American brands (mostly GM) have kept me going daily for 46yrs,and extended family for 56yrs. I guess its possible that iv had an exceptional string of good luck or its also possible that i take very good care of my vehicles even in my driving style. In the end they are all just a few tons of vinyl, glass, aluminum and steel and some lubricants.

Gm v6 80's oil pumps would self destruct apx 50-60k miles, same for the auto tranny's in the full size gm cars. Gm 80's design flaw rear drum brakes even with the supposed fix they still would not go more than 10k city driving. There was a hack we used to solve it- Gm never did get it right. 70'sLots of nit picky stuff all makes. 50's &60's units were pretty reliable just normal stuff for the most part. 80's were the start of a lot of computer integration and then the nightmares started it was also a time where the imports were grabbing a lot of market share based on price and supposed reliability? But they would rust out real quick around here. Good, bad or indifferent all the makes had their problems and still do. Way back , rule of thumb, never buy a car that went down the assembly line on Monday or Friday. Gm plant- Janesville Wi, circa 70's, Hazard pay extra $0.25/ hr for driving units off assembly line. Honest! I lived in Beloit wi at that time, big employers were gm and chrysler in Bellview IL. a lot stories.

When I visit friends in KY, I think I'm the only foreign SUV driver in 100 miles. :)
That may be evidence that not all are experiencing the horror stories that you are hearing about. Also the ones who have no problems are not as vocal about it.

.So i dont think my experience is so narrow. In the end ill go with what i think is best from past experience every time. Ill listen to anyones opinion but it may go in one ear and out the other. No offense.
Not an insult. The experience of any single individual, when compared to the millions of cars on the road, is by definition of the word, very narrow. That’s where things like cost of ownership, calculated from the service records of thousands (sometimes tens of thousands) of examples of each individual make and model, is much more valuable than any personal experience. That’s all I was saying.

Sometimes the difference in scores of the worst rated models and the best is not a great deal. One thing i can credit foreign brands with is forcing the homegrown brands to do better. Doesnt seem to have worked with the jeep brand though. One thing that dont show up on service records is driving style. The wife can burn through rotors(and brakes) in a few thousands miles.

Reactions: Ashful
.a coworker had the transmission die on his 30k mile chevy Equinox Meanwhile, I was driving my 2006 Acura with 130k on the clock, that never had a problem.
. :)
I dont think you can judge the whole brand by this. I dont think all toyotas are bad just because i got one that was. My SIL has an 2003 Equinox that never had a problem. Now drives a 2014 Equinox without any problems. Still has the 03 with over 250000 Mile on it. I would totally try a Ford again even after some not so great one,s in the past.That was in the 80s so i cant compare that to the new ones. I still think overall they are a good car company.

Last edited:
they are all I would buy too but not any them, I wouldn't buy a 4 cyl anymore they seem to have engineering issues aside from not being better on gas than my 240hp 6 cylinder. wouldn't buy the Malibu size ones or smaller, don't fit me but some parts aren't built well
wouldnt buy the small suv or trailblazer or that size stuff for the same reasons under built and get the same mileage as full size stuff

don't look now but everything is "underbilit" for purpose intended all in an effort to achieve mpg ratings. No way a full size blazer gets the same as an equinox mpg wise with the same hp to weight ratio. Then there is the towing issue to add to that. now you can play with gearing a bit to get them close but there are going to be trade offs somewhere.

they are all I would buy too but not any them, I wouldn't buy a 4 cyl anymore they seem to have engineering issues aside from not being better on gas than my 240hp 6 cylinder. wouldn't buy the Malibu size ones or smaller, don't fit me but some parts aren't built well
wouldnt buy the small suv or trailblazer or that size stuff for the same reasons under built and get the same mileage as full size stuff
I am curious what issues you are referring to with 4 cylinders? I have owned many 4s 6s and 8s through the years and i have never had a reliability issue with a 4. Granted i have had some great 6s and 8s to but all of the 4s have been extremly reliable. And yes if you put an underpowered 4 in a large vehicle it wont get good mpg but all of our 4cylinders got great mpg for the vehicle they were in. My wifes current escape for example has the 2.0t which after their initial turbo problems have help up very well. It has close to 300 hp and depending on your driving can easily get 28 mpg on the highway. And that is on an awd vehicle. I agree the trailblazers are crap but they drive way better than a tahoe. And most other midsized suvs dont get much better mpg than full size but the smaller unibody ones blow the full sized stuff out of the water in that regard.

don't look now but everything is "underbilit" for purpose intended all in an effort to achieve mpg ratings. No way a full size blazer gets the same as an equinox mpg wise with the same hp to weight ratio. Then there is the towing issue to add to that. now you can play with gearing a bit to get them close but there are going to be trade offs somewhere.
Yes absolutly full sized stuff still has a place no matter what power suspension etc you have you need some weight there to be able to control and stop a trailer. That is why we have full sized stuff but we drive her escape most places. And it actually tows small trailers pretty well

Meanwhile, I was driving my 2006 Acura with 130k on the clock, that never had a problem.

Too many stories like this for me to buy American.

My 4runner hit 250k last week. Front wheel bearings at 236k are the only repair it's ever needed. Regular stuff like tires, brakes, battery, plugs, wires, and a few bulbs have been replaced over the years but everything else is original.

all those smaller gms have all kinds of "known" issues, the windows are designed cheap to break and fall down, they have all sorts of engine issues. my fil has an almost new Malibu been in the shop two or three times for different engine sensors and one was the head or manifold for egr poor design and constant lights on.

the blazers and all those little suvs (any brand really, they put way undersized engines for the weight and its a brick) get crap mileage, I was talking about the real full size stuff, Tahoe Yukon subrban, they get the same as my ave, 18l 22hwy real world. that's all you hear from real people with all the smaller ones so why bother buying one that's got half the towing and you could fit on one of those trailblazers in the back of my ave

all those smaller gms have all kinds of "known" issues, the windows are designed cheap to break and fall down, they have all sorts of engine issues. my fil has an almost new Malibu been in the shop two or three times for different engine sensors and one was the head or manifold for egr poor design and constant lights on.

the blazers and all those little suvs (any brand really, they put way undersized engines for the weight and its a brick) get crap mileage, I was talking about the real full size stuff, Tahoe Yukon subrban, they get the same as my ave, 18l 22hwy real world. that's all you hear from real people with all the smaller ones so why bother buying one that's got half the towing and you could fit on one of those trailblazers in the back of my ave
Ok many of the smaller suvs are not underpowered at all. Our escape certainly isnt my freinds pathfinder isnt my freinds and my sils rav arent my bils 4runner isnt. And they all can get mid to upper 20s depending on your driving. My trailblazer certainly isnt underpowered and has plenty of towing capacity. But no the mpg are no better than the tahoes. It does drive much nicer though.

I think you may be confusing the trailblazer with another vehicle. They were body on frame trucks. They came in a standard and extended version. Extended is as long as a tahoe and has a real 3rd row that can seat adults comfortably. It was offered with a 275 hp straight six (not underpowered) or the 5.3 the same motor and trans as most tahoes and suburbans. They even made an ss eith the 6 liter.

Yes they have electrical issues. But the full sized stuff from the time had many of the same issues. Yes they have rust issues but again so do the full sized. The only problem they have that the bigger stuff doesnt is with the goofy front axle setup.

Last edited:
Vehicles ince 2002
Used 2001 Dodge Cummins-- Favorite truck by far. wish I never sold it. ....

Those things are still incredibly expense used. I've seen that year (with the diesel) listed for $10k or more recently with a body in good shape.

...the blazers and all those little suvs (any brand really, they put way undersized engines for the weight and its a brick) get crap mileage....

I was looking for a Silverado with the 4.8 V8 like I had before, but I've heard and research shows the 4.3 V6, 4.8 and 5.3 V8s get close to the same MPGs. As you mentioned - weight and wind resistance are significant factors. So far in the month owning the 5.3 the MPGs seem almost identical to the 4.8.

I know a ton of people that have (had) the mid size truck frame vehicles and one that got the 6.0, hes the only one that's still got it because he only drives it to shows and the track. all the other ones have either got something that gets better milage, they get terrible mileage for the power and weight and wont tow anything I need

they have all sorts of issues too, that frame has electrical issues and the head cracks on the inline engines, that totals it most times or gets sold to some chump that doesn't read the common problems before buying a car. gm had a recall but they capped it at 100k before everyone normally has a problem.

I drive all rural two lane, there are always trucks and tractors and not much room, theres always a line of those little suvs behind them, not me.
I would never buy a foreign car really don't care, I ve heard people at work and that talking about there Honda and stuff, the cost of the maintenance stuff is way higher though, and I just cant give my money to a different country

I was looking for a Silverado with the 4.8 V8 like I had before, but I've heard and research shows the 4.3 V6, 4.8 and 5.3 V8s get close to the same MPGs. As you mentioned - weight and wind resistance are significant factors. So far in the month owning the 5.3 the MPGs seem almost identical to the 4.8.
If you do allot of highway driving the smaller motors will get better mpg. But around town or with a load they will be similar. Many times with an edge to the bigger motor. It all depends what you will be using it for.

the full size ones ride like buicks too, if you want not a big fan.85 percent of m use is towing one of a couple big trailers I put air bags an dkyb shocks on my Yukon and the ave I have now because soft is not good for trailers

2016 Escape 2.5 turbo 4wd ,cold weather 24.5mpg now that things have progressed above35 deg 27.5mpg. my drive is 100 miles a day 90% at apx 72mph the other 10% is in town it will sidle up to apx 28 or so as it gets a bit warmer. How you drive has a major effect- rabbit starts and charging up to stops drags mpg down significantly.
Towing duties fall on my trucks although the Escape is rated at apx 3500# towing capacity. Likely fry the tranny if that was a constant use. For me it is mostly a commuter unit.

If you do allot of highway driving the smaller motors will get better mpg. But around town or with a load they will be similar. Many times with an edge to the bigger motor. It all depends what you will be using it for.

a lot of the dealers order them with taller gears too, since most people that buy them know the difference, so you would see 4.3 and 4.8 a lot with the 3.23 gears, worth some hwy mpg

I know a ton of people that have (had) the mid size truck frame vehicles and one that got the 6.0, hes the only one that's still got it because he only drives it to shows and the track. all the other ones have either got something that gets better milage, they get terrible mileage for the power and weight and wont tow anything I need

they have all sorts of issues too, that frame has electrical issues and the head cracks on the inline engines, that totals it most times or gets sold to some chump that doesn't read the common problems before buying a car. gm had a recall but they capped it at 100k before everyone normally has a problem.

I drive all rural two lane, there are always trucks and tractors and not much room, theres always a line of those little suvs behind them, not me.
I would never buy a foreign car really don't care, I ve heard people at work and that talking about there Honda and stuff, the cost of the maintenance stuff is way higher though, and I just cant give my money to a different country
Yes they had issues with the heads the first year out it was fixed after that. The power to weight ratio for the 4.2 is about the s a me as an avalanche with the 5.3 and it is higher with the 5.3. And as you said it gets similar mpg. So where is the problem there?

No they dont tow as much as a full size but they tow better than other mid sized stuff. It all depend on your needs. I have my f250 and my j10 or the work truck or van if i need to tow something heavy. But the tb tows our bayliner very well on vacation.

As far as the foreign car thing you do realize how many of those cars are made here and how many domestic cars are not dont you? And chrysler was owned by daimler and now fiat so not really domestic either.

the full size ones ride like buicks too, if you want not a big fan.85 percent of m use is towing one of a couple big trailers I put air bags an dkyb shocks on my Yukon and the ave I have now because soft is not good for trailers
Yeah they either wallow around like a boat or bounce around like crazy depending on the suspension. Neither is very comfortable on the twisty mountain roads i usually drive. Obviously if you are towing big trailers you need a full size but most dont do that.

2016 Escape 2.5 turbo 4wd ,cold weather 24.5mpg now that things have progressed above35 deg 27.5mpg. my drive is 100 miles a day 90% at apx 72mph the other 10% is in town it will sidle up to apx 28 or so as it gets a bit warmer. How you drive has a major effect- rabbit starts and charging up to stops drags mpg down significantly.
Towing duties fall on my trucks although the Escape is rated at apx 3500# towing capacity. Likely fry the tranny if that was a constant use. For me it is mostly a commuter unit.
Yeah i said we had the 2.0 earlier but i was wrong it is the 2.5 like yours. We have to many vehicles to to keep track of between work trucks personal daily drivers and classics.

But so far we are really happy with the escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.