Half-ton pickup redux

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good deal - it's usually the guy who suggests that! And you have a very nice brother for giving you that older Chevy with the manual transmission!
Thanks Stelcom66. My only brother and i lost him yesterday May 2 at 71 yrs old. He brought that up on a car carrier last fall all the way from the smoky mountains of Tennessee. Ill be going down there Saturday to pay my respects. Retired Navy and Vietnam Veteran. Hes been a Chevy guy for 50YRs has a couple of 57s in his garage.

Thanks Stelcom66. My only brother and i lost him yesterday May 2 at 71 yrs old. He brought that up on a car carrier last fall all the way from the smoky mountains of Tennessee. Ill be going down there Saturday to pay my respects. Retired Navy and Vietnam Veteran. Hes been a Chevy guy for 50YRs has a couple of 57s in his garage.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Sorry to hear this Oak. He sounds like a great brother, gone too soon. I've lost both parents, but no siblings yet, butI know it's coming. My condolences to your family.

OMG I am so sorry to hear that Oak. Thanks to your brother for his service to our country. My condolences, he sounded like a great guy in more ways than one.

Thanks all, He was truly my hero and role model. One big reason why i always have so much respect for veterans ,and military in general, never having the honor to have served. You can protest the war, but never protest the soldier.

Very sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. We will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GM will be introducing a 4cy 2.7L turbo engine for 2019 for their half tons. 310 HP and 348lbs torque. 8 Speed transmission .Can deactivate cylinders on low power draw and run on 2 cyl.
Zero to 60 is reported to be under 7 sec. No MPG estimates yet until closer to launch. May be worth waiting for. Body Styling looks great if no changes are made to prototype.

Interesting - that's more power and torque than my 2002 5.3L V8, and almost half the displacement, with the transmission having double the speeds.

Where did you see the prototype? It would seem crazy a 2.7L 4 cyl being in a full size pickup, but that follows the trend of Dodge and Ford.

GM will be introducing a 4cy 2.7L turbo engine for 2019 for their half tons. 310 HP and 348lbs torque. 8 Speed transmission .Can deactivate cylinders on low power draw and run on 2 cyl.
Zero to 60 is reported to be under 7 sec. No MPG estimates yet until closer to launch. May be worth waiting for. Body Styling looks great if no changes are made to prototype.

I own two vehicles with variable displacement engines. I am not a fan, and the first button I push every single time I start them is the one that disables that system. Their behavior is like that of the old downshift linkage between the accelerator pedal and a traditional auto trans, in that it does nothing under mild acceleration, only kicking in when you push the pedal way down. It makes gentle acceleration impossible.

I buy vehicles with large displacement engines for this seamless power behavior, not because I want to maximize my MPG.

I buy vehicles with large displacement engines for this seamless power behavior, not because I want to maximize my MPG.
I think the cyl deactivation is across the line right up to the 6.2. The start-stop would annoy me ,i hope there is a way to deactivate that. Except in line at drive thrus like the bank.

Last edited:
There's significant amount trouble reports with the AFM (cyl deactivation) system, and information how to deactivate it.

There's significant amount trouble reports with the AFM (cyl deactivation) system, and information how to deactivate it.
Im ok with new tech as long as i have a warranty. If it does happen to be problematic, i would trading up after 2 yrs. Also not sure how much savings there are going from 4 cyl to 2 ,may not be worth it anyway. I do think it will require premium fuel due to the high compression.

Last edited:
I think the cyl deactivation is across the line right up to the 6.2. The start-stop would annoy me ,i hope there is a way to deactivate that. Except in line at drive thrus like the bank.
I've had start stop tech on cars for the past 12 years. It has worked seamlessly and does save fuel and reduces emissions. Done right it just works.

Could GM finally be retiring the 4.3 V6? From an article I found "Chevrolet says the new 2.7-liter engine is more powerful and efficient than the 4.3-liter V6 it replaces...." Of course the 4.3 isn't as efficient as the new 2.7 4cyl will be, but it has proven to be very reliable.

Sign of the times I guess. Along with that, Subaru will finally stop offering a manual transmission in the Forester, and maybe the Impreza and Crosstrek as I've heard it'll only be available in the BRZ for 2019.

Last edited:
Could GM finally be retiring the 4.3 V6? From an article I found "Chevrolet says the new 2.7-liter engine is more powerful and efficient than the 4.3-liter V6 it replaces...." Of course the 4.3 isn't as efficient as the new 2.7 4cyl will be, but it has proven to be very reliable.

Sign of the times I guess. Along with that, Subaru will finally stop offering a manual transmission in the Forester, and maybe the Impreza and Crosstrek as I've heard it'll only be available in the BRZ for 2019.

I suspect the WRX will continue to have a manual . . . at least I hope so . . . I know today's automatic transmissions are just as good, if not better, than manuals in terms of fuel economy and performance, but there is just something more engaging about rowing through the gears that makes me enjoy driving my vehicle vs. just going from Point A to Point B.

Reactions: bholler
I think gear shifting days are numbered as more electric cars come online. This is the first time I have been without a shift vehicle in over 50 years. I do miss it, except when stuck in gridlocked traffic.

I suspect the WRX will continue to have a manual . . . at least I hope so . . . I know today's automatic transmissions are just as good, if not better, than manuals in terms of fuel economy and performance, but there is just something more engaging about rowing through the gears that makes me enjoy driving my vehicle vs. just going from Point A to Point B.

Yes, it would make sense for the WRX as well, I forgot about that model. True automatic transmissions are typically more efficient these days. But, the appeal for a manual is still there for me as well. I had a CVT in a company SUV a few years ago, the fuel economy was very good. The jury may still be out on those - but I haven't heard too many negative reports about Subaru CVTs. The Jatco CVTs used in Nissans and the company Jeep Patriot I had were known for failures above 100k miles. Seems like CVT development has waned in favor of multiple gear automatics. Considering trucks though - a CVT seems out of the question. Especially with a load of wood, gears would make more sense than a belt.

Yes, it would make sense for the WRX as well, I forgot about that model. True automatic transmissions are typically more efficient these days. But, the appeal for a manual is still there for me as well. I had a CVT in a company SUV a few years ago, the fuel economy was very good. The jury may still be out on those - but I haven't heard too many negative reports about Subaru CVTs. The Jatco CVTs used in Nissans and the company Jeep Patriot I had were known for failures above 100k miles. Seems like CVT development has waned in favor of multiple gear automatics. Considering trucks though - a CVT seems out of the question. Especially with a load of wood, gears would make more sense than a belt.
I wouldnt say out of the question for trucks. The durability is not there yet for heavy duty applications but i am sure it could be done. And the ability to hold in the peak of the power band could be very usefull in that application.

That being said i was not a fan of the few cvts i have driven. It just feels strange. I am sure i would get used to it if i drove one all the time but it is strange not to feel shifts.

My wife refuses to give up her current car, as finding a performance sports wagon with manual trans has become impossible in our country. European makers still manufacture and sell them there, but refuse to endure the expense of emissions testing them for the US standards.

I just bought my first auto in 2016, because the manual trans was not available in the model I wanted, for governmental BS reasons I won’t go into now. There is a 2-door version of the same drivetrain that is available in manual, but the auto beats it under every track condition. That doesn’t make it more fun, but it is some consolation. Paddle shifters help in the mourning process, too.

When considering a new truck , blazing acceleration is not my top concern. But under 7 second times from zero to 60 does sound appealing when its coupled with mid 20s MPG ratings. The V6 already does 24 hwy. I dont see how they could go backwards from there. It will be interesting to see the towing capabilities of this new engine/ 8sp. tranny matchup.

Last edited:
My wife refuses to give up her current car, as finding a performance sports wagon with manual trans has become impossible in our country. .
Mine as well ,only the car she wants does come in a standard shift. For me shifting has become a chore as the knees wear out. So the (shift) to automatics in trucks is OK with me. My son will be inheriting my standard shift truck when he turns 16.

Last edited:
Ford has an interesting option ,a 3.5 eco boost V6 engine with a whopping 450HP . But it seems to add 15 K to the the sticker price. Takes a $35000 truck right up to 50K. Also 10 Sp automatics. So far Dodge has the best lease deal at $149 a month for 24 months, but id rather pay more for the GM or the Ford both at around $300 Month.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.