Half-ton pickup redux

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see plenty of 80s and 90s cars on the road here. I dont know if it is as many as trucks but pretty close.
During car shows, and car cruises around here but not as everyday drivers.

During car shows, and car cruises around here but not as everyday drivers.
We still see quite a few as daily drivers. But one thing to consider is that many times truck are not used as a primary vehicle. Because of that they see many fewer miles which means longer life. I also dont think unibody vehicles will last as long. A body pn fram vehicle with a rusty body can still be perfectly safe and functional. On a unibody it isnt. Lots of the older daily driver cars we see are old full sized stuff that is body on frame. They also are the typical type that would be owned by seniors and see few miles. So they can be had pretty cheap in good condition. A quick scan of craigslist in our area shows lots of old caprices cadilacs crown vics etc for sale low miles and cheap.

Im sure book value has something to do with it. Since trucks seem to hold their value and suffer less depreciation than most cars. Owners are far more likely to fix rather than junk a higher value vehicle.

Im sure book value has something to do with it. Since trucks seem to hold their value and suffer less depreciation than most cars. Owners are far more likely to fix rather than junk a higher value vehicle.
True

My son still has my old 72 Chevy stepside I gave him when he turned 16. We just had his 40th birthday party last night. I bought it around 1985 or so.

Also, the personality and interests of the driver. Wrench turners are probably more likely to own an old truck than an old Buick.

Good friend of mine bitching every day about his 5 YR old Dodge Ram. First the rocker panels are rusting out already now the exhaust system is falling off. He is looking to upgrade but probably wont go Dodge. I may consider a new Dodge Ram but it will be have to be a lot cheaper than a GM or even a ford product for me to bite ,and i dont plan to keep it past the warranty anyway.

Our 2006 chevy 2500 6.0 gets about 18 highway without much load and 16 or so towing the work trailer or boat. I have nothing against deisels I just dont see that they make sense for most people. That is unless they are modified so they blow huge clouds of smoke for no reason. Then i have a problem with them. But its frame is starting to rust pretty bad and has been patched twice already.
Thats more than i got with a toyota tacoma manual tranny and a 6cy. And also every other truck iv ever owned. I hope to do better with a new truck but the new Silverados are not scheduled to come out until Jan 19 .

Good friend of mine bitching every day about his 5 YR old Dodge Ram. First the rocker panels are rusting out already now the exhaust system is falling off. He is looking to upgrade but probably wont go Dodge. I may consider a new Dodge Ram but it will be have to be a lot cheaper than a GM or even a ford product for me to bite ,and i dont plan to keep it past the warranty anyway.
I always felt the same, watched my buddies buy late 1990's Dodge trucks, and they seemed to always have issues. Then again, I was having even more issues with my Chevy, at the time, but wouldn't have admitted to that.

I resorted to buying my first Dodge truck in 2005, when I was in the market for a new truck, and found GM wouldn't give a manual trans anymore. Dodge was the only one left who did manual trans with a V8 and extended cab, at that time. I remember looking it over, and pointing out how much better my old Chevy was in several areas, at least in my head.

But whereas the Chevy required new 4wd solenoids, all new exhaust, and had numerous computer/injection system problems in it's first 10 years... I owned that 2005 Dodge for 12 years with only one repair. That repair was a torn rubber boot on a front CV joint, total cost was about $100 for parts + labor. It was, by a very long margin, the most reliable truck I ever owned.

I bought a 7000 lb. GTW trailer when the truck was 10 years old, and that truck was really only legal to tow 5500 lb. So, when it started to just get the hint of rust in the rear fenders in year 12, I used it as an excuse to trade the truck in. This time, I had none of my past qualms about going with a Ram.

I think all three American manufacturers put out some pretty crappy vehicles in the past, and maybe Dodge was at the bottom of the pool, but it seems Daimler really did a good job of cleaning up their act. My 2005 Ram had a few key Daimler, Getrag, and Bosch components. The trans was Getrag. My '16 SRT has an interior that looks like an upgraded and updated version of our '12 Mercedes E-class, lots of similarities there. My '15 Ram shares a few components with that but you can see where they're diverging from the Dodge branding. It will be interesting to see how Fiat changes them over the next 5 - 7 years, now that they've taken over the brand.

I always felt the same, watched my buddies buy late 1990's Dodge trucks, and they seemed to always have issues. Then again, I was having even more issues with my Chevy, at the time, but wouldn't have admitted to that.

I resorted to buying my first Dodge truck in 2005, when I was in the market for a new truck, and found GM wouldn't give a manual trans anymore. Dodge was the only one left who did manual trans with a V8 and extended cab, at that time. I remember looking it over, and pointing out how much better my old Chevy was in several areas, at least in my head.

But whereas the Chevy required new 4wd solenoids, all new exhaust, and had numerous computer/injection system problems in it's first 10 years... I owned that 2005 Dodge for 12 years with only one repair. That repair was a torn rubber boot on a front CV joint, total cost was about $100 for parts + labor. It was, by a very long margin, the most reliable truck I ever owned.

I bought a 7000 lb. GTW trailer when the truck was 10 years old, and that truck was really only legal to tow 5500 lb. So, when it started to just get the hint of rust in the rear fenders in year 12, I used it as an excuse to trade the truck in. This time, I had none of my past qualms about going with a Ram.

I think all three American manufacturers put out some pretty crappy vehicles in the past, and maybe Dodge was at the bottom of the pool, but it seems Daimler really did a good job of cleaning up their act. My 2005 Ram had a few key Daimler, Getrag, and Bosch components. The trans was Getrag. My '16 SRT has an interior that looks like an upgraded and updated version of our '12 Mercedes E-class, lots of similarities there. My '15 Ram shares a few components with that but you can see where they're diverging from the Dodge branding. It will be interesting to see how Fiat changes them over the next 5 - 7 years, now that they've taken over the brand.
I agree completly all companies have had problems and they all will in the future. I have had good experiences and bad with all of the big 3 and with some imports. Being brand loyal over decades just doesnt make sense to me they change so much over time. I just look for a vehicle that meets my current needs and is in the price range i am looking for. Right now all of our personal daily drivers are fords but i am by no means a ford guy. If i were buying a new truck right now it wouldnt be a ford i just dont like the look compared to the other 2.

If i were buying a new truck right now it wouldnt be a ford i just dont like the look compared to the other 2.
I think all 3 look very good for the 2019 model . Ford is looking a lot better the last few years. Im not a fan of how high off the ground they all seem to be going. Us old timers are having a hard time crawling in and out.

Last edited:
I have never bought/driven a truck based on the "look". Interior or exterior. They are tools for me. I do not own a "pleasure" truck. That being said, you couldn't give me a ford :p

My grandfather told me over 25 years ago: "at best, a vehicle is a depreciating asset".

I think all three American manufacturers put out some pretty crappy vehicles in the past, .
They certainly did. And all 3 have, and have had the capability of putting out great trucks and did at times. I still plan to do a test drive of each of the big 3. I have an open mind. Since im not likely to keep it past the warranty, so im not worried about past issues. Wife is voting for the SIlverado based on looks at this time so theres,THAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
I have never bought/driven a truck based on the "look". Interior or exterior. They are tools for me. I do not own a "pleasure" truck. That being said, you couldn't give me a ford :p

My grandfather told me over 25 years ago: "at best, a vehicle is a depreciating asset".
I dont care that much about looks but right now all 3 are pretty good mechanically so it would come down to price and personal preference to me. And personally i dont like the look of the new fords as much.

Why so against fords out of curiosity

We will be replacing our current family vehicle with a truck so i guess you could call it a "pleasure truck" and the insurance Company will as well. Looks(and even color) will play a part in the final decision. It definitely will NOT be white ,green or blue. I havnt owned a ford for 40 yrs but im not ruling them out. All vehicles are depreciating assets ,since my health is also a depreciating asset i plan to enjoy the twilight of my years. No way, im lookin at an ugly truck every day.

We will be replacing our current family vehicle with a truck so i guess you could call it a "pleasure truck" and the insurance Company will as well. Looks(and even color) will play a part in the final decision. It definitely will NOT be white ,green or blue. I havnt owned a ford for 40 yrs but im not ruling them out. All vehicles are depreciating assets ,since my health is also a depreciating asset i plan to enjoy the twilight of my years. No way, im lookin at an ugly truck every day.
No not all. Are depreciating assets. Some can actually appreciate quite a bit if you pay attention and buy at the right time.

No not all. Are depreciating assets. Some can actually appreciate quite a bit if you pay attention and buy at the right time.
Of course collectables, not many trucks n that category lately.

Of course collectables, not many trucks n that category lately.
There are tons of trucks in that category. 70s 80s and early 90s suvs are the thing right now that can still be bought cheap but are climbing in value.

I think Vtwoodheaters GF was referring to newer cars and trucks bought and used as commodities , not antiques which if kept up certainly increase in value.

When is the last time you put a cord of wood in a 1986 Suburban, or a '92 full-size Bronco? Really? When those vehicles were being produced, the term SUV hadn't even been coined.

When is the last time you put a cord of wood in a 1986 Suburban, or a '92 full-size Bronco? Really? When those vehicles were being produced, the term SUV hadn't even been coined.
In them no but lots of people pull trailers with them. And actually sport utility vehicle became a class of vehicle in 1975. And regardless i didnt realize hauling firewood was a requirement for every vehicle. I have a truck for that. I have my bronco for fun.

And there are plenty of trucks that are climbing in value. Many are alread pretty high but 70s and 80s dodges are still cheap but climbing now

In the half ton pickup thread....
It stopped being a half ton pickup thread a long time ago. And i was commenting on your statement which simply said vehicles. Nothing about age or type.

Wife hit a deer in her car so while it's in the shop she's driving my S10 ZR2 while I borrow my parents' farm truck. 03 Ram 2wd with a 6.7 Cummins, 5-speed manual, and a 4.10 axle is about as polar opposite of a truck as its gets to mine.

My S10 while it struggles hauling heavy stuff, has never gotten stuck (and I've taken it through some pretty nasty mud/snow), this Ram has about 0 traction off road, but would happily pull a house up a hill on the freeway at 75 MPH (at 2600 RPM).

Status
Not open for further replies.