Hallmark Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

titanracer

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2011
South Central PA., Newville
Found these pellets today at a local Ace hardware store in southern PA.. Grabbed (5) bags to test burn. Wasn't real keen on how the store was storing these pellets. They were under the store front overhang, prior to entering the store front, uncovered. It has been rainy here in PA the last (2) days. A store employee was helping me with loading of them, so I did get some of the top bags that were kind of drizzly wet bags, but not soaked as though they were rained directly on. Since I clean my pellets before putting them in stove, when I got home I cleaned all (5) bags, to get the pellets out of bags and see if they were not wet. After cleaning bags of pellets, I store them in a 44 gallon rubber maid style containers w/lids. A 44 gallon container will hold (5) bags. 1st impressions were: they seem like a decent pellet. The pellets ranged in size from 1/4" to 1" long. The inside of the bags smelt like fresh cut 2x4's. There was very little fines in bag & not real dusty when pouring them from bag. I attached some pictures for viewing. I did unload hopper & load these in to burn. Don't know if I will burn tonight or not, it has been warm here in southern PA, the last couple days. But sure to be burning later in the week. I will give an update to how they burn after I burn a bag or 2 here this week. Enjoy!
20181216_134247.jpg 20181216_134425.jpg 20181216_134607.jpg 20181216_135320.jpg

Pennsylvania here also. Ace Hardware around here have lignetics. Charge ridiculous price. 3 hundred $30 a ton. but people pay that because they have no room for storage and you can come and pick up how many bags you need at a time. On the other hand Home Depot is $249 a ton for people who do have storage room. So how much did you pay per bag? Never heard of those before

They said these were new to them & they were not selling them by the ton, only by the bag. Why, I have no ides. I paid $5.99 a bag.

UPDATE: Pellets burned great. Produced a med fine gray ash, but not anymore than any other hardwood pellet. Only negative was, they produced low heat. I NEVER burn off of low setting. Usually the house is 75 to 80 degrees. It has not been really cold around here yet, ( mid 30's at night, 40's thru day). These pellets burning on low kept house around 71 to 72 degrees & not really cold yet. Ran it a night on setting 3 out of 5, and only got house to around 74 to 75 degrees, it should have been smoking hot in here. This is only down fall to these pellets. No heat!!

Sorry to revive an old thread. Wondering if anyone has any other experience with these pellets? Or can provide an update if more of these were bought. A local supplier is selling them, 265/ton.

Sorry to revive an old thread. Wondering if anyone has any other experience with these pellets? Or can provide an update if more of these were bought. A local supplier is selling them, 265/ton.

I bought a ton in August, these are the worst pellets I’ve ever used. Even the mixed hardwood softwood pellets from Walmart are better!

These put out decent heat, but are extremely dirty, leave the worst carbon and clinker deposits I’ve ever dealt with. It’s almost hard to believe how much dirt and clinkers these things leave. And the buildup on the glass is just terrible! I always clean my glass every day with plain glass cleaner. That doesn’t even touch these deposits! I have to use auto polishing compound to get the glass clean!

Never again! I’ve used just about every brand you can think of. I have a Harman stove and it’ll burn just about anything so I’ve never worried too much about brand. But these are terrible pellets!!!

I bought a ton in August, these are the worst pellets I’ve ever used. Even the mixed hardwood softwood pellets from Walmart are better!

These put out decent heat, but are extremely dirty, leave the worst carbon and clinker deposits I’ve ever dealt with. It’s almost hard to believe how much dirt and clinkers these things leave. And the buildup on the glass is just terrible! I always clean my glass every day with plain glass cleaner. That doesn’t even touch these deposits! I have to use auto polishing compound to get the glass clean!

Never again! I’ve used just about every ebrand you can think of. I have a Harman stove and it’ll burn just about anything so I’ve never worried too much about brand. But these are terrible pellets!!!
What pellets are u talking about?

Bought 10 bags of Hallmark Pellets for our pellet stove a week ago and they were nothing like the ones we used a couple months ago. Same brand, same price, bought at the same location but this time there were a lot of fines and junk in the mix plus the pellets were short and broken, our stove malfunctioned and we had some smoke in the house from the fines. Never again.

Purchased 50 bags of Hallmark Pellets from Menards, and THEY ARE HORRIBLE!!!! Usually I can clean the glass with just paper towels and water.... I need to use Glass Cooktop Cleaner and 0000 steel wool just to get it clean. The tar deposits are so bad, I have a hard time pulling the tube scraper. Concerned how much damage these are going to cause to my Lennox Montage 32SF with the large amounts of residue these pellets leave behind after burning. Gonna load them all up and return this garbage. Stay away from these!!!!!

Reactions: Coke Oven Mike
I know the original post was quite a few years ago. I just bought four bags of these. I've burned bad pellets before but these are the worst I've ever used. Poor heat and just plain filthy. Very ashy, but it's more of a fine dust. If you sweep it or even brush against it, it goes everywhere. It puts a horrible film on the glass. This stuff is really bad.

Wife and I moved to a new home last year. Had a M55 insert installed from local dealer. I ended up buying a ton of these, support local small business. The first half went through fine with no complaints. Probably because it really wasn’t too cold. Once the chilly weather came, you are right, no heat and the ash was just weird.

As I opened up more bags, I noticed that the pellets had colors of blue, red, and white. This led me to believe that they were strictly made from pallets and not hardwood as advertised.

I went to their website and sure enough the company that makes them strictly makes pallets from recycle. I emailed them with pictures of my concern. I did get a response asking for a receipt from my purchase, which I provided, and a call. However nothing came about.

Stay away from these.

Reactions: Coke Oven Mike
Interesting...
in all the years of burning it has always been Easy Heats as the hands down worst pellets to burn.
made from old skids is what i have heard... called " Ole Roy's" for a good reason..

They also made my agitator squeal during rotation. Burned very dirty as well. Like I said just a weird ash and who the heck knows what else is in them.

Since I’ve switched to AWF hardwood, has not squealed at all.