Hamer Hot ones.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use them this past winter?
Working on the 5th ton of Hamers this winter. By far the hottest hardwood pellet I've used so far. Ash seems low for hardwood. Only get the speed bumps if I run the Harman real low. Seem to be bagged better than some too. Hopefully my supplier will have them again this year.

Working on the 5th ton of Hamers this winter. By far the hottest hardwood pellet I've used so far. Ash seems low for hardwood. Only get the speed bumps if I run the Harman real low. Seem to be bagged better than some too. Hopefully my supplier will have them again this year.
thanks....
I think my dealer has an early buy of 247.00....
yeah...low burn get's bumps alot...
In room/auto I deff get a little bit dirty burnpot & glass with the Up/Down/Off /Rinse/lather /repeat routine.[during shoulder days].. Softwoods though seem to be cleaner..

Last edited:
Softwood pellets are scarce by me. Menards has them for $300 ton. To stiff for me. The Hammers started @ $235 early season and went up to $265 around new years. They carry Lignetics for the same price. Only a 10 mile round trip, with 6 stop signs. With the learning curve of pellet burning and the endless string of junk pellets, Indeck, Easy Heat, Pennington, and TSC store brand, once I got a hold of a decent pellet, I'll never go back. All told, my 6 ton averaged out to approx. $250 ton. For $247, your early buy sounds good! The Lignetics are good, but the Hammers blow them away, IMO.

Late for my input, but I only had 4 bags of Hamer's, gotten from a trade with another forum member. I just put Hamers in the P43 a couple of days ago because I was too lazy to move them off the stack to save them for next year (they were under the Cubex I bought a couple of weeks ago). On the P43 I have an oven thermometer hanging off the firebox lid, into the airstream. I have the stove set on Room temp / Auto and have it controlled by a thermostat.

This morning the stove was burning and I thought to go check the thermometer. Now, most pellets run about 225* and I've had better pellets (Okies, Cubex) run at 250* or a little above. these were running close to 300*. Can't say about the ash since these only hit the burnpot last night

Yep, they are a hot burner and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if I could get them for a decent price ($247 would be fine by me).

Reactions: Bucks Pellets
Softwood pellets are scarce by me. Menards has them for $300 ton. To stiff for me. The Hammers started @ $235 early season and went up to $265 around new years. They carry Lignetics for the same price. Only a 10 mile round trip, with 6 stop signs. With the learning curve of pellet burning and the endless string of junk pellets, Indeck, Easy Heat, Pennington, and TSC store brand, once I got a hold of a decent pellet, I'll never go back. All told, my 6 ton averaged out to approx. $250 ton. For $247, your early buy sounds good! The Lignetics are good, but the Hammers blow them away, IMO.
Found the Lignetics to be quite ashy this past season..burned a ton..

Found the Lignetics to be quite ashy this past season..burned a ton..
Yes, Lignetics have a bit more ash than the Hamers. Fluffier?, maybe. Still a decent pellet Hamers are a darker, heavier ash. The 5 ton of Hammers I had, had 3 different dates on the bags. Dates are bag printing dates? Correct me if this isn't right. There was a difference in the different tons. Some had more ash than others. But still the great Hammer heat. This is the only pellet I've been able to run the P61A for 24 hrs. with only one bag! Want to find some softwood pellets to try without breaking the bank. But when all else fails and it's cold, I'll be burning Hamers.

Yes, Lignetics have a bit more ash than the Hamers. Fluffier?, maybe. Still a decent pellet Hamers are a darker, heavier ash. The 5 ton of Hammers I had, had 3 different dates on the bags. Dates are bag printing dates? Correct me if this isn't right. There was a difference in the different tons. Some had more ash than others. But still the great Hammer heat. This is the only pellet I've been able to run the P61A for 24 hrs. with only one bag! Want to find some softwood pellets to try without breaking the bank. But when all else fails and it's cold, I'll be burning Hamers.
Thanks for reply post...
I just ordered ton Hamers from my dealer... 249.00
also 2 ton Okanagan Platinums... 299.00 but great Softwoods.

burned up some Douglas firs this past month that I had left over..[Blazers/Okanagan firs]..
I noticed that I was getting some big HARD clinkers with the firs on room auto mode...
Only pellets I ever got clinkers with was the Fir Family.
seems that being such dense pellets, they need to be in a constant flame environment like room/manual or stove mode as I had no clinkers after switching modes.
the constant ramping up/down/ off, rinse/lather/repeat of room-auto was the culprit[at least now during shoulder season.]

Thanks for reply post...
I just ordered ton Hamers from my dealer... 249.00
also 2 ton Okanagan Platinums... 299.00 but great Softwoods.

burned up some Douglas firs this past month that I had left over..[Blazers/Okanagan firs]..
I noticed that I was getting some big HARD clinkers with the firs on room auto mode...
Only pellets I ever got clinkers with was the Fir Family.
seems that being such dense pellets, they need to be in a constant flame environment like room/manual or stove mode as I had no clinkers after switching modes.
the constant ramping up/down/ off, rinse/lather/repeat of room-auto was the culprit[at least now during shoulder season.]
Nice price for the Hamers. My dealer didn't discount anything here this winter. Still @ $265. Lowes and Home Depot were done/out early spring, and TSC held tight on their prices for JUNK. My brother( 2 hrs north) got Somersets for $219. Thanks for the info on the Blazers/Okanagans. I run room temp most of the time. I'm gonna look hard for some soft wood pellets this year. My stove dealer says his early buy sales coming soon. He carries ProPellets. I enjoy trying new pellets and seeing how much heat I can get out of them!

Late for my input, but I only had 4 bags of Hamer's, gotten from a trade with another forum member. I just put Hamers in the P43 a couple of days ago because I was too lazy to move them off the stack to save them for next year (they were under the Cubex I bought a couple of weeks ago). On the P43 I have an oven thermometer hanging off the firebox lid, into the airstream. I have the stove set on Room temp / Auto and have it controlled by a thermostat.

This morning the stove was burning and I thought to go check the thermometer. Now, most pellets run about 225* and I've had better pellets (Okies, Cubex) run at 250* or a little above. these were running close to 300*. Can't say about the ash since these only hit the burnpot last night

Yep, they are a hot burner and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if I could get them for a decent price ($247 would be fine by me).

friend of mine said his Harman ate Hamers up like they we're candy.. said he went thru them pretty fast.... haven't read where anyone had that problem.

Reactions: bogieb
friend of mine said his Harman ate Hamers up like they we're candy.. said he went thru them pretty fast.... haven't read where anyone had that problem.

I didn't have that problem. The pellets are pretty small and if I had been running longer pellets in the P43 I most likely would have turned down the feed rate. However, I had been running short pellets anyway so left it at 3. I guess we won't know what the difference is unless we knew what his setting were and the mode. Of course I wasn't running them during really cold weather, so who knows how it might have been then.

My P61 loves Hamers. They don't burn any different in mine either. Bought a bag of TSC brand pellets last week. I know, I was bored. Upon scanning the upc code, turns out they were Cheat River. :eek: Mixed them with a bag of Hamers. Burnt okay, but the flame colors were off. Dull yellow with no blue or white. Heat was about the same, though it wasn't real cold out either. When my P61 starts using more pellets, either the outside temp drops or the esp sensor needs cleaned. Slowly warming up here, again, Though it was 36 last night.

My P61 loves Hamers. They don't burn any different in mine either. Bought a bag of TSC brand pellets last week. I know, I was bored. Upon scanning the upc code, turns out they were Cheat River. :eek: Mixed them with a bag of Hamers. Burnt okay, but the flame colors were off. Dull yellow with no blue or white. Heat was about the same, though it wasn't real cold out either. When my P61 starts using more pellets, either the outside temp drops or the esp sensor needs cleaned. Slowly warming up here, again, Though it was 36 last night.
Never burned them before but I have a ton coming in the summer so I'll see how they do..
on a different note,
biggest surprise I have had this season was when burning Douglas firs..[Blazers and Okie firs..
was using up some of them and they we're the 1st time I ever had big solid clinkers and pellets that we;re not burned all the way after shut down.
Thought I had an Air flow problem but other Brand pellets burned fine.. my conclusion:
those Firs are a very dense pellet and are Not Condusive to the on/off/on/off routine of Room/Auto mode...
When I switched to Room/Manual the clinkers dissapeared... tells me anyways that the firs need constant flame like during the coldest months.
I was using the firs up on shoulder days which I won't do again.

Last edited:
Never burned them before but I have a ton coming in the summer so I'll see how they do..
on a different note,
biggest surprise I have had this season was when burning Douglas firs..[Blazers and Okie firs..
was using up some of them and they we're the 1st time I ever had big solid clinkers and pellets that we;re not burned all the way after shut down.
Thought I had an Air flow problem but other Brand pellets burned fine.. my conclusion:
those Firs are a very dense pellet and are Not Condusive to the on/off/on/off routine of Room/Auto mode...
When I switched to Room/Manual the clinkers dissapeared... tells me anyways that the firs need constant flame like during the coldest months.
I was using the firs up on shoulder days which I won't do again.

Thanks for the info on burning soft woods. I normally run room temp on auto. I'd love to score a ton or two of soft wood. Only place I know of that carries soft wood around here is Menards, or so their website says. Haven't seen any in the store (Massillon) though.

Thanks for the info on burning soft woods. I normally run room temp on auto. I'd love to score a ton or two of soft wood. Only place I know of that carries soft wood around here is Menards, or so their website says. Haven't seen any in the store (Massillon) though.
Actually it is just the Douglas Firs that are the most dense softwoods..
any other softwoods like White pine, Spruce etc burn fine in any mode.
I have La Cretes [Sprucewood] and Okanagan platinums[ 100% Softwoods] and no clinkers on Room/Auto mode.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Actually it is just the Douglas Firs that are the most dense softwoods..
any other softwoods like White pine, Spruce etc burn fine in any mode.
I have La Cretes [Sprucewood] and Okanagan platinums[ 100% Softwoods] and no clinkers on Room/Auto mode.
Have you burned the platinum before? How about the oakie gold? I liked the gold I tried for the first time last year. I bought three ton platinum this year since they were the same price as the gold.

Have you burned the platinum before? How about the oakie gold? I liked the gold I tried for the first time last year. I bought three ton platinum this year since they were the same price as the gold.
yes.. have burned golds and Plats..Both great Softwoods... I bought my Okie plats for price also...

I haven't seen those around here, I'm set for next year but that sounds like a steal for quality pellets!

I haven't seen those around here, I'm set for next year but that sounds like a steal for quality pellets!
JESUS H.. YA THINK SO??
Great price for Hamers....

Attachments

• 37534002.jpg
    37534002.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 352
Reactions: jackhammer
Status
Not open for further replies.