Hamers pellets and cleaning problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJohnfromCT

Feeling the Heat
Dec 29, 2012
Danbury, CT
I've been burning Hamers Pellets since my stove was installed in 2011 and have always been happy with them. I've tried a couple of other brands (NEWPs and O'Malleys) but have always gone back to the Hamers even though they are a little more expensive. They are hardwood with high heat, low ash and fines and burn great in my MVAE. This year though I've been experiencing deposits in my burn pot that I just can not scrape out. In fact, last week and this I've had to resort to my Dreml to get it clean. I'm not sure if it's just this batch that I received or are others having issues also. Appreciate your comments and Happy New Year to all. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

P.S. Any one in the greater Danbury,CT area burning softies and, if yes, what brand and where did you get them? I would need to have them delivered.

I stopped using Hamers last year for the same reason. I'm having much better luck with Turmans.

Thanks Justin. Are Turmans softwood and does your supplier deliver to Danbury?

Been using Hamer's Premium Hardwood Pellets since the early1990s in my Vermont Castings Reliant, though years ago they began stocking them at the local Southern States Co-Op and now they carry the "Statesman" label. Mine are from a WVa. mill. I've tried others, my stove just loves these.

tried hamers last year ,don't think I'm buying them again for that reason.Went to cubex this year worse then the hamers good thing I have a ton of spruce pointe.Going back to la cretes next year they seem to do the best in my stove

Reactions: pelletdude