Happy FRYDAY to all

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinman1

Oct 28, 2014
Long Island New York
Yes it's a happy Friday , because last nite I finally got my Osburn 1800 inset to burn for 4-1/2-5 hour burn. NOW I need to tweek this thing so I can get another 1-2 hours of more burn time!The damper was turned down to a 1/4 open , then moved it to 1/2 open for more heat. Last nite I did use 10 month seasoned splits at around 18 percent . It was hardwood but not sure which exact ? Any ideas for tweaking it ?

The better the wood, the longer the burn. I'm not familiar with your stove, is it an EPA insert with secondary combustion? If so you'll maybe get that extra hour by getting it to run with the air completely shut off. My Oslo sometimes takes a few attempts but usually I can get it to run great with the air all the way off - I'll have 200 degree stove top temp and plenty of coals after 9-10 hours. Oak, hickory, and locust are my favorite of the hardwoods.

The better the wood, the longer the burn. I'm not familiar with your stove, is it an EPA insert with secondary combustion? If so you'll maybe get that extra hour by getting it to run with the air completely shut off. My Oslo sometimes takes a few attempts but usually I can get it to run great with the air all the way off - I'll have 200 degree stove top temp and plenty of coals after 9-10 hours. Oak, hickory, and locust are my favorite of the hardwoods.
Yes it's a EPA Stove with secondary's. I will give it a try, closing it down all the way. With the wood ,I'm not 100 %sure which is which , but will try to pick out the locust & give that a try. Thanks for the reply.

Depending on the wood, try turning it down as far as you can while keeping the secondaries burning. As we speak, I have my stove all the way down and the secondaries are glowing, the chimney is emitting no smoke and the stove temps are rising. That's just me, but do experiment and take a look at the chimney now and then to see the smoke output.

You get the best efficiency when you can get the secondaries to do most of the burning.

Reactions: tarzan
Longer burns AND more heat ... turn down the air control as much as possible while still achieving a secondary burn.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Status
Not open for further replies.