Harbor freight MM stop the beeping already

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Has anyone disconnected the beeping part of your HF MM? That beep is really loud at late hours in a quiet house. If so was is easy and how did you do it?

velvetfoot said:
I'll bump up the thread but have to know what an MM is.
I believe it's a moisture meter.

Shipper

Sorry I should have been clear. Yes it's a moisture meter. Every time you take a reading it beeps very loud. I would love to disconnect the beeper without doing damage to it.

Wow I just caught my mistake. It was a busy morning getting all the kids out the door. It's an I.R. Thermometer.

just use it like a good hitman, hold a pillow over it while you "shoot"

Well I just took it apart and found the beeper is soldered to the board. I was hoping for it to be mounted in the handle with wires that could be cut. So I just put some tape over the hole and did make a decent difference. i may pour some glue in the hole to see if that really cuts down the volume.

Are you using it late at night when everyone is asleep or is it beeping on its own?

You could try sticking a pin in through the hole and pierce the speaker. Its just a little plastic film and once you rupture it enough it won't be able to vibrate properly at all. It'll still make a sound, but you can break it enough to quiet it way down.

Mine does not beep but I would just tear apart the buzzer until it is just two wires on the board. That will take care of the beeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.