Harbour freight Generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooper

Nov 13, 2011
Wilmington,Ma
Maybe users have done or thought about this? Could I run a pdvc off a harbour freight 900 watt small generator without damage to control board or functionality!!

If the generator power THD is around 5% you will probably be ok much higher could be bad for sensitive electronics.

Cooper - You should really do a search on here. There are several fairly long and VERY informative threads on this issue. They usually coincide with a big storm of some sort. Like most things, different people have different views. However, there is a fairly large consensus that you should really try to run your stove on an inverter generator.

Sometimes I'm a bit disappointed when I see this type of response, but I just don't have the knowledge that others have shared in those threads. Hope this helps.

The manual for that generator specifically advises against using it to run sensitive electronics.

Then that gens THD is greater then 6% or has voltage swings outside standard grid power.

Do not, I repeat, do not bother with a cheap generator. I have owned a few, some are decent, some are utter garbage, but NONE of them have any parts support. So if you have the slightest trouble, outside of the warranty period, you are SOL. I have an All Power sitting in the garage that is junk simply because I can't get parts or service for it. You want an inverter generator? Honda or Yamaha. Anything else and you are rolling the dice. RT

I have that same generator. I have a englander pellet stove and have used it to run the stove without a problem. Make sure you have a good surge protector.

A surge protector will not correct harmonic distortion on the line. This is from the manual for the Harbor Freight 900 watt model:

CAUTION: 10. This generator is not intended to power sensitive electronic equipment* without the addition of an appropriate line conditioner and surge protector (both not included). Sensitive electronic equipment should be operated on approved inverter type generators or pure sine wave generators.

* Sensitive electronic equipment includes, but is not limited to, audio/video equipment, some television sets, computers, and printers.

The manual does not state the THD or voltage tolerance. Probably well in excess of 10% given the manuals cautionary statement.

Northern Tool's brand is Powerhorse and they are well priced and all have less that 5% H.D. and are safe for sensitive electronics
Honda is probably the best but you pay for it

Status
Not open for further replies.