hardwood, softwood blend vs hardwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to trying them myself.

Last year I burned FSU with great results. None to be seen this year, but our HD has Heat'rs, a brand I never saw before. I wrote the company and they got right back to me. Like FSU, it is also a softwood/hardwood blend. This one is from Arizona and I like them just fine. Small pellets, great heat, low ash, clean burn, and relatively low amount of fines in the bag.

im general, softwoods are hotter and produce less ash. I don't know why anyone burns hardwoods to be honest, besides price

im general, softwoods are hotter and produce less ash. I don't know why anyone burns hardwoods to be honest, besides price
I burn the Energex Hardwood for a tons worth or so, then DF for mid winter. DF here are considerably more money than Energex Hardwood but the EHW are getting up there pretty close in btu at 8600. I really like Spruce Pointe but my local dealer priced them out of willing range to pay ( 7.49) a bag singles or by the ton (8700 btu). Next down the list being a sure thing was Energex Hard at $299 a ton and as I said 8600 btu. I like LaCrete but too far to travel, same price as the Energex Hardwoods and the later are a 20 minute ride from my house.

I might have taken LG from the same guys who sell Energex but hey had not taken delivery of them yet when I went to pick up pellets.

So thats why I burn hardwood. Partially price driven, also travel distance. But good heat too!

Status
Not open for further replies.