Hardy h4 pump sizing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tjmortenson

Oct 2, 2019
Pequot Lakes, MN
In the process of hooking up my hardy h4 boiler, and the pump is burnt out. It no longer has the taco 009 that came factory. My question is should I use the factory size taco 009 or could I use a 007? I have a loop of 1" pex about 25 feet from the boiler to my furnace heat exchanger, and back to the boiler. The heat exchanger is rated at 120,000 btu.

Hardy uses the 009 because they typically are pumping long distances through 3/4" pex and need a high head circulator. The 007 should be fine for a short loop like that in my opinion.
I use a lot of Grundfos 15-58's and B&G NRF-22's (which are similar but somewhat higher head) for short loops like that.

In the process of hooking up my hardy h4 boiler, and the pump is burnt out. It no longer has the taco 009 that came factory. My question is should I use the factory size taco 009 or could I use a 007? I have a loop of 1" pex about 25 feet from the boiler to my furnace heat exchanger, and back to the boiler. The heat exchanger is rated at 120,000 btu.
The 15-58 is $89 at Menards locally. You can’t beat that price and with the three speed you could dial it in. My guess is speed 2 that close. I have about 25’ each way coming off the primary loop and run mine on speed 1 and have a 10 degree delta t.

The 15-58 is one of my favorite pumps. Except for the plastic speed selector. I wish they had a heavy duty one like the B&G NRF-25.

I like the 15-58 pump also and have several on my Garn system. Like the others have said the speed selector switch is a little cheap. I do have one on my system that is 11 years old and still running. Its on my domestic side so it runs year around.