Harman 25th anniversary sparks entering living space

metalman570

Jan 12, 2021
Jamestown, NY
I have an older Harman 25th anniversary pellet stove (ser. no. 8143). Lately I have noticed, periodically, sparks coming out of the stove via the decorative oak leaf vent area above the door. Upon visual inspection and performing the "dollar" test there appears to be no breach of the door seal. I'm assuming the sparks are escaping from the burn chamber. Anyone have this problem?

metalman570

Jan 12, 2021
Jamestown, NY
Could you post a video?
Thank you for responding Washed-Up, I'm sorry that I cannot show a video at this time as we shut the stove down as soon as we saw the last sparks. I can tell you that they were small and shot out into our living room a maximum of app. 2ft. and quickly burned out. At least the ones we witnessed. The last two came out only seconds apart. We're waiting for a return call from a technician and if they want us to fire it up I will attempt to capture it then. Its been a great stove other than that. Thanks again for your response. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Washed-Up

Washed-Up

Feeling the Heat
Nov 5, 2011
Kananaskis,Alberta, Canada
That’s very odd, if the rope gasket is good, then the metal on the door might be compromised, haven’t run into this before and am very interested to find the reason.
Tom

gfreek

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2010
Attica,,New York
Is this a XXV Anniversary edition stove ?

metalman570

Jan 12, 2021
Jamestown, NY
Is this a XXV Anniversary edition stove ?
Hi Tom, Yes. XXV anniversary. Serial number 8143. Manufacture date Sept. 2006. Service guy called this morning and will be coming to look at it next week. He is also very interested in the situation. I will let you know what they find. I would also add that, beginning late last heating season we began to experience very dark ash. The accordion heat exchanger actually gummed up with creosote so I let it burn hotter than usual to burn it off. I don't know if the two situations are related. We have a CO detector in the room with the stove, no detection. Thanks again for your interest.
Eric

Reactions: Washed-Up

metalman570

Jan 12, 2021
Jamestown, NY
Hi Tom, Yes. XXV anniversary. Serial number 8143. Manufacture date Sept. 2006. Service guy called this morning and will be coming to look at it next week. He is also very interested in the situation. I will let you know what they find. I would also add that, beginning late last heating season we began to experience very dark ash. The accordion heat exchanger actually gummed up with creosote so I let it burn hotter than usual to burn it off. I don't know if the two situations are related. We have a CO detector in the room with the stove, no detection. Thanks again for your interest.
Eric
Sorry gfreek, did not notice the last message was from you. I appreciate your interest and help also. Talk to both of you next week.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up

gfreek

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2010
Attica,,New York
Any update on this ??

Reactions: Ssyko