HARMAN 512H BATTERY BACK UP? anyone have it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AZ23

Feb 19, 2014
canada
I am always paranoid about the electricity going off and wondering if anyone uses the 512H battery pack?

Is it easy to install and is it worth it?

For the price of it, I wonder if the 8 hours are actually worth it?

500W Pure Sine Inverter plus built in Deep Cycle Battery charger? It would cost about the same if you were to build it yourself. Just remember the battery quality will be important. You're not going to want to buy some crap WalMart "deep cycle" battery. You'll want a 90-100A-Hr, AGS quality battery. That could run you another $200-$300 alone.

Hi again, so my question was about the battery. It's approx $550 to buy. I am wondering if anyone has it and if it's worth the money. I wouldn't know anything about building one, so I am not questioning that.

That unit you linked is not a battery. It's a combined Automatic Transfer Switch/Inverter/Deep Cycle Charger. It needs to be connected to a battery.

Are you wondering what type/brand of battery to buy to go with the 512H?

oh ok- I guess I misunderstood - so to run this stove without power, it's probably more practical to just invest in a generator rather than get involved in all of this

It needs to be a Full Sine Wave output generator or you need to put, at a minimum, a line conditioner between the generator and the stove.

I have the 512H. it is sitting on top of battery in a nice basket next to my hearth to power my Harman stove. We have already tested it a few times with short and longer power outages and it was great to sit there in the dark, without running to power a generator getting heat and light. longest we had the power out was about 3-4 hours. no issues. the only change you perceive is that it emits a slight buzzing sound when running on bat. I have it plugged into a surge protector as with all its great features, it does not provide that.

It is costly, but we managed to get it "thrown in" into the pricing when we got the stove and install, etc. to be reduced to almost nothing. I would probably not buy it for anything close to full price.

I recommend it for the following setup: if your power grid is mostly stable and you only get sporadic outages that normally don't last too long. the 512 is perfect for that scenario. it switches from bat to power seamlessly and you get about 8 hours of run. if your power setup is more unstable and you may go for days or weeks without power - get a generator instead. instead of the 512, get a supported UPS (sine wave preferred) and plug your stove into that. it will give you surge protection and enough run time to get the generator up and running to avoid smoke in the house. if you are really in the sticks - get a whole house generator (much more $$$) with auto transfer - but I would still use a UPS on the stove to cover the transfer time. So, long store short. UPS is a must in any setup (as I see it) if you want a clean shutdown or transfer to gen. 512 if you have good power and too lazy to get a gen and run it and ok with only 8 hours of heat.

I have the 512H. it is sitting on top of battery in a nice basket next to my hearth to power my Harman stove. We have already tested it a few times with short and longer power outages and it was great to sit there in the dark, without running to power a generator getting heat and light. longest we had the power out was about 3-4 hours. no issues. the only change you perceive is that it emits a slight buzzing sound when running on bat. I have it plugged into a surge protector as with all its great features, it does not provide that.

It is costly, but we managed to get it "thrown in" into the pricing when we got the stove and install, etc. to be reduced to almost nothing. I would probably not buy it for anything close to full price.

I recommend it for the following setup: if your power grid is mostly stable and you only get sporadic outages that normally don't last too long. the 512 is perfect for that scenario. it switches from bat to power seamlessly and you get about 8 hours of run. if your power setup is more unstable and you may go for days or weeks without power - get a generator instead. instead of the 512, get a supported UPS (sine wave preferred) and plug your stove into that. it will give you surge protection and enough run time to get the generator up and running to avoid smoke in the house. if you are really in the sticks - get a whole house generator (much more $$$) with auto transfer - but I would still use a UPS on the stove to cover the transfer time. So, long store short. UPS is a must in any setup (as I see it) if you want a clean shutdown or transfer to gen. 512 if you have good power and too lazy to get a gen and run it and ok with only 8 hours of heat.

Can anyone tell me how far from the pellet stove the inverter and battery should be placed for safety. I’m concerned that the battery could overheat and leak or explode if it gets hot.

Look in your manual it gives clearances to combustibles
I would say that that is the clearance you need

As the OP said. It depends on the general power outages that you have and there durations. Generally only have 1 or 2 moderate outages per year of short duration. The worse ones are from 12 hours to days long and the battery will not cut it. I have a 1500 series pure sine wave battery backup that will get me 2 hours minimum run time on my Harmon P43. It work seamlessly for the short term stuff, and keeps all going long enough for time to get the generator out. The battery backup is right behind the stove. Hope this helps you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk