Harman 52i Noise Diagnostic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2014
Mendon, MA
So lately, I feel like my 52i has been "louder" than usual. It's a vibration type noise that is on/off every 20 seconds or so while the stove is running, in standby, and even during cool down. It doesn't coincide with the feed motor kicking on/off and it doesn't change based on distribution fan speed. This has me thinking it's a combustion motor problem.

I pulled the stove out tonight and the combustion motor shaft sticking through the motor feels loose to me. I should NOT be able to wiggle the end of the shaft and have it move correct?

Also, the entire auger motor assemly seems very loose to me. Is it supposed to be, or should that be socked down tight? Don't want to call the service guy just yet.

From the dates, it is a new stove? If so, get it looked at by the dealer as it would still be on warranty. If used, hopefully other Harman owners will chime in with specifics ...

Will say that on my stove, there is play in the auger motor assembly but there are brackets that only allow limited motion with the auger itself being kept in line by a bearing. Occasionally, I can hear it shift when feeding but not often.

Good luck!

Yeah, installed Jan '14, bought late Dec '13. It's been 7tons since I cleaned the chimney last. Stove place said to give that a shot since they can't come out until next week.

I agree, the movement in the auger motor seems designed in. It's the shaft play in the combusion motor that has me a bit worried.

Call your dealer.

Eric

Cleaning didn't do anything except make a giant mess and show me that I shouldn't wait 6 tons before cleaning 35' of chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.