Harman Accentra 52i Loud Popping Noises

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bobbycd

Feb 25, 2024
Denver, CO
I recently had a Harman Accentra 52i installed in my home by my local installer. The unit makes loud popping noises, and it sounds like someone is throwing rocks at it. The noises happen maybe 5-10 times per minute. They are very annoying and keep me awake at night and startle me while I am trying to enjoy the peace of my home. This is the second replacement by Harman due to these noises. The installer cannot figure out how to fix the noises. I have read some older (9-10 year old) threads on this subject on this forum. These older threads did not allow me to post a reply, so I am starting a new thread (my first). I have pasted the link to the video I filmed below. Does anyone else have these issues with their Harman Accentra insert?

ACg8ocJR2pSthphgHU2K0tSVECL1FUwWRiTE3GYS-NJIBOIWhg=s40-p-mo
ReplyForward

Add reaction

Yes, I’ve got some popping sounds like that on my insert. I believe it’s coming from the exhaust piping. When the stove is ramping up to produce more heat, the popping starts. I also hear it when the stove is ramping down down to reduce heat output.

I attributed it to the expansion and contraction of the metal exhaust piping due to the temperature change.

Yes, I’ve got some popping sounds like that on my insert. I believe it’s coming from the exhaust piping. When the stove is ramping up to produce more heat, the popping starts. I also hear it when the stove is ramping down down to reduce heat output.

I attributed it to the expansion and contraction of the metal exhaust piping due to the temperature change.

How do you know for certain? I have a hard time believing that. I have heard little tinging noises, and they seem normal. But this is a loud click/pop. Do you know what can be done to fix this issue?

How do you know for certain? I have a hard time believing that. I have heard little tinging noises, and they seem normal. But this is a loud click/pop. Do you know what can be done to fix this issue?
I don’t know for sure but it is coming from the right side of the stove where the exhaust pipe is. Happens much more on Room Temp when the stove ramps up and down. Doesn’t seem to happen much at all on Stove Temp.

I don’t know for sure but it is coming from the right side of the stove where the exhaust pipe is. Happens much more on Room Temp when the stove ramps up and down. Doesn’t seem to happen much at all on Stove Temp.
Yes my popping noise nearly always happens on “room sensing mode,” and not “constant burn mode.” And yes when ramping up and down for me mainly too. When you say stove temp are you referring to “constant burn mode?”

Have you had any success with fixing it at all? It seems like it should be something that requires a simple fix, but apparently Harman doesn’t fix it. They told me my first one was “defective.” Very strange.

Stove mode = constant burn mode. No, I’ve not tried to fix it.