Harman Accentra 52i TC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gjbertson

May 12, 2024
Chama New Mexico
Hello, I have been a wood burner for over 40 years. The last 20 using a Treamount fireplace insert (circa 1975). Tired of chimney fires had three over the last 20 years. I live at 8000 feet in the rocky mountains, we get an average of 10 feet of snow a year with 0 degree temps in January. I burn 4 to 5 cords of Ponderosa Pine a year.
Looking to replace with a pellet stove insert, I am limited on height of 22 inches. I really like the heat from a wood stove. Can a pellet stove come close to the BTU
output?
Would like to hear from former wood burners that have converted to pellet stoves. Are you happy?

I googled and found a number of 40,000 BTU per hour for "a" treemont insert. Don't know what model you have tho. I presume that's the maximum output of it.

I see here
That pellet stoves can go from 8,000 to 90,000 BTU per hour.

So I presume you should be able to find a unit matching your need for BTUs.

I'll let the pellet owners and converts provide real advice.

In my summer kitchen (circ 1912) we went from an insert to a free-standing stove
The fireplace was removed. The pellet stove we bought puts out a max of 45 thousand BTU
It maintained heat in that room with temps hitting -40::C and a few times lower
When we get up in the morning the room will still be at 22::C or better no matter the outside temp
We feel it was the best investment we made.
Now this is your experience yours may differ
I don't recommend stoves buy what you like but the two most reliable stoves on the market
are Envrio and Harman. Both made in North America

If you are harvesting your own firewood at minimal cost I would think it would be far cheaper than purchasing pellets.

He's been burning for 40 years. I presume at some point harvesting and processing firewood can become too much.

Harvesting wood is time, and my time is costly…I grew up on a farm having to cut wood as a kid, we switched to a pellet stove my last year at home…knowing what a difference and less work/hassle getting pellets vs wood, not to mention the heat output, I can’t see switching back to a wood burner, convenience is important.

Reactions: johneh
Thanks everyone. Well I get to be 70 this year, yes cutting, blocking, splitting, stacking is still doable but is a lot slower that it used to be.
Big issue is this old stove did not have a positive connection to the chimney and created lots of creosote in the damper area and lower chimney. I took (with help from neighbors) the stove out for the first time in 20 years and was SHOCKED what I found. Cleaning chimney monthly was not always enough to keep the chimney fire from happening. That is a very scary event!!!
Now I have to decide what to replace the wood burner with. Pellets still have to me moved at least three times.
We have used the wood burner as out main source of heat and I would like to replace it with something that heats as well (Pipe Dream?).

If my numbers above are right it's not a pipe dream ...

Reactions: Washed-Up