Harman Accentra Insert. Lot of ash and heating 1200 sqft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skirby1212

Jan 6, 2016
Massachusetts
Hi guys. Bought a used Harman Accentra Insert and this is the first season using it. First of all I love the stove. Been using it since beginning of the cold season. Burning about one bag a day. Maybe a little more here and there. Been noticing a lot more ash recently. I’ve read that the ash pan can hold a lot of ash but I seem to have to empty it every week. Not a big deal as I clean the stove weekly but want to know if this is normal? I installed myself and never did a draft test. Heating a 1200 sqft ranch and one downfall is stove is at one end of the house and the master bedroom is at the opposite end of the house so it’s hard to get heat all the way to the other end of house. Wondering if I need to put additional fans to keep the air flowing through the house. I had wood stoves prior and didn’t have any issues. Just not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if it’s just the way it is. I am running 3” liner about 15’ tall. Thanks in advance

A lot depends on the pellets used..what are you burning ? hows the combustion blower, is it noisy? Also to move air around my setup is a fan that pushes cold air towards the stove room and one that pushes the hot air back and it seems to keep the temperature differential within 4 degrees vs 10 . I still have to insulate my rim joists in the basement which I believe is the reason for such a big difference as well as get my oak setup.

A lot depends on the pellets used..what are you burning ? hows the combustion blower, is it noisy? Also to move air around my setup is a fan that pushes cold air towards the stove room and one that pushes the hot air back and it seems to keep the temperature differential within 4 degrees vs 10 . I still have to insulate my rim joists in the basement which I believe is the reason for such a big difference as well as get my oak setup.

As far as pellets. Mostly green supreme and Fireside I believe they are called. Seems limited in my area as far as how many brands are available. The different pellets I’ve used don’t seem to make much difference as far as ash is concerned. I also replaced the combustion blower about 2 months ago because the old one was very loud

Pellet type may be the issue, try finding something ultra premium rated like Turman if you can find them or a white pine pellet ..these usually are about .15 to .2 percent ash, the green supremes are only guaranteed to be less than or equal to 1 percent. I have the 52i stove with a much smaller ash pan and burning big box store pellets I have to empty every week, Right now I’m burning Turman’s and haven’t had to empty yet going on a little over 2 weeks , I usually get about 3 -4 weeks with ease.

If you were burning corn like I am (not sure if a Harman can), you'd be emptying the ash pan every other day. :)

Pellet type may be the issue, try finding something ultra premium rated like Turman if you can find them or a white pine pellet ..these usually are about .15 to .2 percent ash, the green supremes are only guaranteed to be less than or equal to 1 percent. I have the 52i stove with a much smaller ash pan and burning big box store pellets I have to empty every week, Right now I’m burning Turman’s and haven’t had to empty yet going on a little over 2 weeks , I usually get about 3 -4 weeks with ease.

I hate to hijack the thread . But where did you get your Turmans? Ive got a 52i tc in CT as well. I bought 4 tons 4 brands and Turmans burn terrible in my stove a clumpy ashy mess .. just curious maybe i got a bad ton..

To get your thread back on track...........A better quality of pellets may help with the ash...but it doesn’t seem terrible. As far as the cold bedrooms......that’s just the way it is. A pellet stove is a space heater. If you want even temps throughout the house......you want central heating...ie ducted furnace. A couple we’ll places fans may help.

To get your thread back on track...........A better quality of pellets may help with the ash...but it doesn’t seem terrible. As far as the cold bedrooms......that’s just the way it is. A pellet stove is a space heater. If you want even temps throughout the house......you want central heating...ie ducted furnace. A couple we’ll places fans may help.

You can do like I do (if you have a forced air central furnace), run the blower only 15 minutes every hour to distribute the heat throughout the hose but be apprised that your pellet consumption will go up appreciably. Remember, unlike a central heat plant that inputs around 100,000 btu or better, your pellet stove is only capable of about 50,000 BTU running at max and clean inside as the ash produced by burning pellets or corn, coats the interior of the unit and lowers the heat transfer rate. The coating of ash is a good insulator inside.

What I like to do is run the central heat plant and bio-mass stove together and let the central heat plant cycle on and off as needed. My bio-mass stove is on a remote thermostat that is located next to the thermostat for the central furnace so I can easily monitor the temps on both.

At night, I have the central heat plant dialed back to 55 and I let the bio-mass stove assume the entire load when we are asleep, snuggled under the electric blanket. 7AM the central heat plant comes back up to a pre set 68 degrees and warms the place back up. I keep my bio-mass stove at 70 on the thermostat all the time.

Last couple years with the low cost of propane (we heat with it), I didn't even bother running the stove at all. It wasn't economically prudent to run it with pellets (here) at 250 a ton and propane at a dollar a gallon but, the price of pellets here dropped to $200 a ton and I tapped into a free source of corn so now I'm back burning even though propane is still pretty cheap at $1.10 a gallon.

I penciled out the difference per effective BTU and came up with, so long as propane is under $1.20 a gallon and pellets are 250 a ton, it's more prudent to run propane. With the 200 a ton price, it's almost a break even scenario and the wife likes the stove heat anyway so I'm back to roasting bio mass.

Of course, none of that applies with oil heat or hot water baseboard, only forced air. and your mileage may be different.

Some pellets make more ash (and fly ash) than other brands do. I think it depends entirely on the feedstock used to extrude the pellets.

Here, I have good results with Michigan Hardwood pellets (Gaylord, Michigan), but probably not available everywhere. Wood pellets seem to be a regional thing, most likely due to transportation cost. Farther they have to be hauled, more it costs.

Feedstock for Michigan Hardwood is forestry slash and recycled hardwood pallets.

Always keep in mind that the more you clean it out inside (and remove the ash coating), the better it will run and produce more heat per pound of fuel.

I did set up my furnace to have a fan only mode but the piping isn’t insulated which is one of my next projects. I like the idea of programming fan only every hour just need to replace the ducting as for now I think all the heat would be lost in the duct work. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and ideas. I think after insulating the pipe that would help because one of the returns is in the room that the stove is in

I did set up my furnace to have a fan only mode but the piping isn’t insulated which is one of my next projects. I like the idea of programming fan only every hour just need to replace the ducting as for now I think all the heat would be lost in the duct work. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and ideas. I think after insulating the pipe that would help because one of the returns is in the room that the stove is in

I have the same scenario. The main return is located adjacent to the appliance in the great room so the heated air gets effectively 'sucked' down it.

I’ll start searching for better pellets. I’d like to find some soft wood pellets to try as I hear they are pretty good too.

I see you are in Mass, what part?
I am in Mass as well and if you are local I can recommend several places to obtain low ash/high heat Pellets for you Accentra.

I had a Accentra insert for several years and now own a 52i as well as a P43 so I like to test out different pellets, drives the Wife mad :)

Jeff

Hi guys. Bought a used Harman Accentra Insert and...
I'm also in Massachusetts with an Accentra Insert in a small ranch. My stove is also at one end of the house opposite from the bedrooms. Firstly, the ash pan in that stove is fairly small compared to most of the freestanding models so emptying it once a week seems about normal to me. As other have mentioned, pellet quality may have some effect on this also. As far as moving heat through the house, I've gotten the best results by putting a box type fan on the floor in the room adjacent to the room where the stove is and have it blow into the stove room. Mine is about 5 feet from the doorway that connects the 2 rooms and as soon as the fan is turned on, I can feel warm air coming in to replace the cool air being pushed toward the stove.

jp,
Good suggestion with the fan, especially for those of us that have the Pellet Stove in the far end of the Home away from the Bedrooms.

Jeff