Harman Accentra52i-TC wont regulate temp or shut down HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

87Betelgeuse

Oct 10, 2022
Connecticut
My Harman 52i-TC is only 3 years old.
If i turn on my pellet stove it disregards the temp I set and heats the room way hotter then I want.
Even if i switch to manual mode it has no effect.
If I hit the shutdown button it refuses to shut down until its run out of pellets.

I had my Platinum dealer come by and they cleaned the entire unit ($250) and said that'll fix the problem... it didnt (It worked properly for a couple days)
I called back and they now said I needed the wireless room sensor ($200) and that'll fix the problem... it didnt
They have no idea how to troubleshoot the problem and have now ghosted me.

I've seen similar posts where people say its the esp probe. Yesterday I cleaned the probe and it seemed to actually work but that lasted less then a day. And now i'm back to where I started.
When I go into the diagnostics I can see that the ESP is reading a temp of 400-413 degrees so I assume that the probe is not the problem since im getting readouts??

I dont want to just keep buying parts hoping that it fixes my stove. Im hoping there is a logic based way to diagnose this rather then just guessing.
If anyone has insight it would be very much appreciated.

Never worked on a Harman TC model, probably never will, as life is slowing down. Harman almost never releases repair/diagnosis info. Right off top of head I can think of 6 parts that were "upgraded" for problems, but only dealers get this info, and they are restricted from releasing this info. Older models have a diagnostic box that plugs in, to help diagnose problems, I would imagine the newer TC models have a lap top to plug in, but do not know this for sure. Then comes the cost factor of buying the lap top, and the programming. Anyway, I can give a few hints, possibly helpful-
Can you run stove without the wireless sensor, as there is another sensor on the control unit?
Either way, can you, on the stove screen, bring up and monitor the room sensor temps? If so, this may tell you something, like it never reaches the "set" temperature.
Anyway there is the exhaust probe, it still could be your problem, it may be working, but not properly. Also, I believe there is a return air sensor that could be the issue..
At worse, it could be the stove touch control, or the control unit itself, I imagine those are expensive.
You could drop a line to Harman, and/or call another dealer.
Good luck.

Never worked on a Harman TC model, probably never will, as life is slowing down. Harman almost never releases repair/diagnosis info. Right off top of head I can think of 6 parts that were "upgraded" for problems, but only dealers get this info, and they are restricted from releasing this info. Older models have a diagnostic box that plugs in, to help diagnose problems, I would imagine the newer TC models have a lap top to plug in, but do not know this for sure. Then comes the cost factor of buying the lap top, and the programming. Anyway, I can give a few hints, possibly helpful-
Can you run stove without the wireless sensor, as there is another sensor on the control unit?
Either way, can you, on the stove screen, bring up and monitor the room sensor temps? If so, this may tell you something, like it never reaches the "set" temperature.
Anyway there is the exhaust probe, it still could be your problem, it may be working, but not properly. Also, I believe there is a return air sensor that could be the issue..
At worse, it could be the stove touch control, or the control unit itself, I imagine those are expensive.
You could drop a line to Harman, and/or call another dealer.
Good luck.
Thanks for responding.

The stove runs without the wireless sensor with the same results.
When i bring up the on screen diagnostics it does show the correct temp of the room.
Ill look into the return air sensor as I have not inspected that yet.

I contacted Harman and was told to kick rocks and deal with my dealer directly.
I called every dealer within 100 miles and none offered any knowledge.

Well that sucks. OK, you can go into the diagnostic screens, and watch the exhaust probe as stove is warming up, it should continually rise, until it sees a pre-programmed temperature, then pellet feeding should drop back. You also can watch the room temp. and return air temp. and see if they do anything strange. You also may have corrupted programming, you may want to try to upload the programming off the data usb stick, or, if you don't have, check your programming and see if there is a update. You will have to go to Harman's web site to check this. Will leave you link to the only diagnostic manual they have released to the public---

Reactions: Washed-Up
Thanks for responding.

The stove runs without the wireless sensor with the same results.
When i bring up the on screen diagnostics it does show the correct temp of the room.
Ill look into the return air sensor as I have not inspected that yet.

I contacted Harman and was told to kick rocks and deal with my dealer directly.
I called every dealer within 100 miles and none offered any knowledge.

Any luck with this? I am having the exact same issue with my 52i, the feed motor only ever runs at 15% doesn't shut off, use room temp etc. etc.

Any luck with this? I am having the exact same issue with my 52i, the feed motor only ever runs at 15% doesn't shut off, use room temp etc. etc.
Unfortunately not. It is so frustrating because it seems like anytime i unplug the stove to check a different part it works for a day or less and then goes right back to the problem.

Unfortunately not. It is so frustrating because it seems like anytime i unplug the stove to check a different part it works for a day or less and then goes right back to the problem.
I have a new ESP sensor coming today I'll let you know if it fixes the issue.

So my stove seems to be working fine after a very thorough cleaning. I pulled the stove outside, vacuumed and blew out with compressor.

Reactions: VintageGal