Harman Advance does it radiate heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fordcummins

Dec 12, 2013
North central Oregon
I am in the process of updating a very old Harman Advance serial number shown 3271. Do these stoves radiate heat I have Quadra-Fire that does not radiate heat. It is more like a furnace. It starts up and shuts down by a thermostat so it is hot and cold in my house. My main source of heat is a wood stove but during the night when the house cools off the pellet stove comes on to at least maintain 64 in my house. My Quadra-Fire is a 1991 model so I am planning on updating to the Advance. I did a good cleaning know I have replaced the burn pot the ignitor I also replaced the chain drive and the wiring harness and changed it to a double paddle fan. When I cleaned it there was a build up of hard ash behind the paddle wheel do I had to remove it to clean it out. One strange thing is found that it was not wired the same as the schematic. It may not make a difference but the white wire that goes to the pressure switch was connected to the combustion blower. It did not seem to run right in the test mode now it does.
P.S. I am installing the cross over kit while I have the stove apart.

Thank you not really I am hoping an Advance owner can tell me. I did some research on the wiring and the white wires locations should not really matter. My old harness must have been bad because it would not test right.

They dont radiate much. If you look at it, the front door area is the only part exposed. The side doors wrap around the sides. The Pseries probably has the best radiant heat with the whole firebox single wall steel exposed to the room with no fancy tin

Reactions: ABusWrench
I have an Accentra. I believe it’s somewhat similar to the advance. It basically only radiates heat from the window. The sides are a bit warmer then the top but I can usually rest my hand on the top with no problems.

The best pellet stove I’ve had that does radiate heat was the Cumberland 3650. The front, top and sides were always very hot. Too hot to touch. I really liked that stove. I’d still have it if the burn pot had been a little more user friendly.

I do thank everyone for the responses. If it radiates any heat it will be better than the old Quadra-Fire 1000. The 1000 does not even warm on the top. But as I have mentioned it does not have any adjustments or changes to the fire size or the distribution blower. It is all or nothing maybe the Advance will be better because it will adjust the fire size and blower speed so it continues to heat the room. The 1000 starts and shutdowns like a furnace so I am hot and cold. I think the 1000 is a good stove I purchased it 1999 but is was build in 1991 the only thing I have replaced is the burn pot. It had a ceramic pot and the ignitors were very fragile. Now with the cast steel pot it seems to burn good. Plus with the newer burn pot it has a clean out feature so I just pull a rod at the front of the stove. And only clean out the bottom ash pan once season before I had to get on the floor and open the front cover every few days to pull a wedge out of the burn pot to clean it. But the 1000 is very loud with three fans running 2 fans for the combustion.

Yes it will radiate heat. Won't get involved with your wiring, sounds like you figured it out.
Bay front stoves generally do not radiate as much as other stoves, but require less clearance on the sides. Some P series Harmans get so hot, they have optional side shields for them.
Not sure what 3650 is talking about, one of the selling points if a FS Accentra was the thicker cast, as the whole burn chamber is open to the sides. Mine are generally at 250 degrees, as others I have seen.
But, yes, you will love the "switch up", hi-low fire mode, for certain weather, mine stays in that mode below certain outside temps, otherwise stove would be starting up every 1/2 to 3/4's of an hour, and the house remains at a more constant temp. And then there is fireplace mode.

I will check my P43 with my Laser temp to see what the temps are on the sides, front and top. Maybe others can do the same with other models and see where they are at?