Harman Advance Feeder Not Working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BKyler

Dec 6, 2023
Ebensburg, PA
We have a Harman Advance pellet stove and the auger won't turn and the feeder light won't come on. I cleaned out the hopper, cleaned the stove, cleaned the pipe and it still won't work. When I plug in the stove it makes a buzzing noise but nothing happens. Any suggestions?

The first thing I would do is to try it in test mode.

Reactions: Washed-Up
The next thing I would do is unplug the stove and then use a test lead and hook up the feeder motor directly to a 120V outlet to see if it turns on it's own. If it still doesn't turn I'd remove the feed motor and try it again. If the motor works then it could be something jammed in the auger feed. If the motor is still not working when plugged directly into an outlet it needs to be replaced.

The next thing I would do is unplug the stove and then use a test lead and hook up the feeder motor directly to a 120V outlet to see if it turns on it's own. If it still doesn't turn I'd remove the feed motor and try it again. If the motor works then it could be something jammed in the auger feed. If the motor is still not working when plugged directly into an outlet it needs to be replaced.
There were some burnt pellets in the ash pan and I emptied it and now it seems to be working. Would burnt pellets in the ash pan make it not work.

Pellets in the ash pan won't cause it to stop feeding. But if the front door is not closed all the way that would stop the auger feeding.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Pellets in the ash pan won't cause it to stop feeding. But if the front door is not closed all the way that would stop the auger feeding.
It worked until Friday night and then all of a sudden it started making this grinding noise and I unplugged it and when I went to plug it back in again it kept making the noise and wouldn't feed pellets. I never opened the front door at all during that timeframe.

Sounds like it could’ve had a pellet jam in the auger

Sounds like it could’ve had a pellet jam in the auger
The only thing I did today was empty the ash pan of a few pellets and plugged it in and it started. All it did since Friday was make a noise every time it was plugged in, didn't feed pellets. I can't believe just emptying the ash pan would make it miraculously start working again.

Maybe a week auger motor…some jams can be unjammed by knocking the stove etc…glad it’s working for now…I have a feeling you’ll be posting about it again though

Maybe a week auger motor…some jams can be unjammed by knocking the stove etc…glad it’s working for now…I have a feeling you’ll be posting about it again though
Maybe. I accidentally unplugged the stove while it was running on Friday and that's when the issues started.