Harman Advance running rough

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nasabuzi

Nov 16, 2014
Levittown, NY
Hi, so a few days ago I did the usual cleaning of my Harman Advance and went to start it the first time this season and it sounds like its running rough. The sounds happens before the distribution blower comes on so it's not coming from that. The combustion motor/fan is definitely running louder than before but to me this noise seems to come from the center of the machine. I attached a video hoping it might help some.

Are the fan blades contacting the cage? Video is a bit short to be conclusive

Are the fan blades contacting the cage? Video is a bit short to be conclusive
With the machine unplugged I spun the blade from the front and it didn't appear to be touching the cage at all. It does seem that the shaft on the combustion motor has some play in it. Like I can move it forwards and back a little bit, at this point that movement while running is making this noise.

Sounds like the bearings might be shot, you can replace them…or it’ll be a new combustion blower

Reactions: nasabuzi
Not too many people know or realize this, but WD40 will ruin the bearings, part of its make up degreases and will dry the bearings out even more, 3in1 oil or a light synthetic oil is what you want to put on

Reactions: nasabuzi