Harman Feed Setting for Hamers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RKBAGUY

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Milford, PA
I guess it might come down to experimentation, but is there any reason why, if pellets are burning thoroughly and cleanly at the '3' setting, that I would want to bump it up to '4'? I know that it's not desirable to have any unburned pellets dropping into the ash pan, but I'm running Hamer's and they look to be burning well, although down pretty close to the auger, with nearly all the air holes visible in the burn plate. So, if the stove is working at a 3 setting, why would I want to go to 4 or higher?

Doesn't sound like you have the Harman suggested 1" of ash at the front of the burn pot.
That's what I'd shoot for, but I wouldn't just jump to 4. Try 3-1/4 or 3-1/3 and let it normalize...
Once it does, see if the 1" is there if it is, good...
If not, bump the feed rate up a bit...

I guess it might come down to experimentation, but is there any reason why, if pellets are burning thoroughly and cleanly at the '3' setting, that I would want to bump it up to '4'? I know that it's not desirable to have any unburned pellets dropping into the ash pan, but I'm running Hamer's and they look to be burning well, although down pretty close to the auger, with nearly all the air holes visible in the burn plate. So, if the stove is working at a 3 setting, why would I want to go to 4 or higher?
Hi RK, what are u burning on room temp or stove temp? You will find that there isn't much fussing around with the harman stoves they pretty much do it all by themselves. A heist setting of 3 just limits the stove and cannot feed anymore than 3, 4 is limited to 4 and so on.

I'm using room temperature to regulate. I changed it to 4 sometime after posting just to see what would happen, but one wonders why they'd have a limiter setting of 3 or less if you're not supposed to limit it.

You can set it lower,page 25 of manual explains it well.about smaller rooms,etc.Also,this control style has been around a long time,pellet quality is much better nowadays,and,even the newest board retrofits into the older stoves.Also,some burn a mixture of corn with their pellets.

I'm using room temperature to regulate. I changed it to 4 sometime after posting just to see what would happen, but one wonders why they'd have a limiter setting of 3 or less if you're not supposed to limit it.
I can set my stove in room temp at 3,4,5,6 doesn't matter to the stove it will only use enough pellets to satisfy thermostat. Now in stove temp,constant burn,if you turn the temp dial on high and then set your pellet feed so that it can only feed enough pellets to give you one inch of ash at the end of the burn pot that will stop unburned pellets from falling in the ash pan and will give you the max feed for both settings.

I can set my stove in room temp at 3,4,5,6 doesn't matter to the stove it will only use enough pellets to satisfy thermostat. Now in stove temp,constant burn,if you turn the temp dial on high and then set your pellet feed so that it can only feed enough pellets to give you one inch of ash at the end of the burn pot that will stop unburned pellets from falling in the ash pan and will give you the max feed for both settings.
Except that I have no unburned pellets, even on setting 4.

I guess I'll just leave it there for now and see what happens. Thanks!

Reactions: Mt Bob
When you changed the feed rate to 4 if your still burning in room temp the stove would need a call for heat that would need a feed rate of 4 to see it feed that much. if your thermostat is satisfied it may only be feeding at a rate of 1 the stove will choose between 1and 4. Now constant burn is the way to set the max feed if it's important to you to do so once you set it in constant you can go back to room temp. a feed rate of 4 is what most use so you don't have to test if you don't want to.