Harman Install - couple questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

void791

Sep 6, 2018
K/W Ontario
Just received a bunch of pellet pipe for my stove (Security Chimneys Secure Pellet which I understand is just about the same as M&G Duravent). Anyway my two questions are

1) The Harman specific adapter fits over (not inside) the stove's exhaust. It doesn't appear to fit too tight unless I ram it on. Anyone know who I am supposed to secure this to the back of the stove (other than the silicone)? Ring clamp?

2) I am going to go from the stove adapter to a tee then up about 6+ feet then elbow and horizontal out of the house through an existing chimney. My question is, how do I support the weight of all that pipe on the inside of the house? Solely on the stove's exhaust? Is there some kind of bracket for the back of the stove? Other?

Thank you all!

1 ) push it on as tight as possible then put 3 screws through the adapter into the stove then wrap the seam with silicone tape or rtv the seam
2 ) wall bracket

Reactions: bags
If I recall I simply hi-temp siliconed mine on. Sealed and you will have no need to remove pipe for cleaning nor moving the stove. Quick and easy. Just another option.

Thanks for the replies. Questions @rich2500, is there such thing as an interior wall bracket (that isn't going to look like poop)? Will screwing into the stove collar not pierce it and cause issues? I mean the output has to be hottest there.

I only ever seen the typical pipe brackets, could you use one of those and possibly hide it behind the stove. As for screwing into the exhaust tail pipe it's actually recommend with duravent.Im not familiar with security chimney pipe so don't know there recommendation. If you ever experience a violent ignition you would be glad it's screwed because it can blow the pipe right off the back of the stove, It happened to my boss last year.

EDIT:
I do have screws in mine. I had to look. Plus I do remember putting silicone at every joint. Never had any issues and zero repairs on the P68 up to this point. I am due for installing new door rope gaskets which I will do before firing this season. I just kept fluffing the OEM ropes to gimp thru last season.

As for interior brackets: I haven't really seen any used myself. When the pipe sections twist lock together they become rigid. If needed maybe just use some metal strapping you can make whatever like HVAC guys do for supporting duct work. Not sure of your situation but look up and follow manufacturer's recommendations.

I would put a dab of rtv on the screw before running them in Then wrap over them and the seam with silicone tape or rtv.

Be sure to use a 6"or 12" piece between adapter and tee to allow some room behind to service stove. Some models adapter directly to tee will work but is a bear to service