Harman Invincible insert over feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skid296

Mar 12, 2014
Maine
Hello,

I have an Invincible Insert that has recently started malfunctioning.

I am living in Maine, heating a 2000sqft house with my Invincible insert. last night after coming home from a trip and cleaning my stove, I ran it at level 7 temp and full feed for 6-7 hours. Heat output was great, full combustion and fine ash falling into the ash pan.

Before going to bed, I turned the heat setting back to 6 since the house was not at the desired temp. Higher than I normally leave it.

In the morning I checked the stove to find that many pellets had partially burned and had overflowed the ash pan, spilling throughout the inside of the stove. It was a big job cleaning those burning pellets out.

Now I have restarted the stove, set the feed to 3 and heat to 3.5. The pellets are continuing to partially burn and fall into the ash pan. This has never been a problem. I did recently use some Northeast Pellets instead of my usual supply of Energex. Those pellets were horrible. More horrible than I thought pellets could be (fines, ash, seemingly low BTU).

I have since switched back to Energex, which I consider the best in my area. These problems are happening with 100% Energex. Could this be due to the ESP sensor having buildup on it and over feeding? I have never actually accessed and cleaned that sensor since purchasing the unit March 2014. I am hoping this problem magically goes away, but it seems doubtful since is is happening on 2 very different settings and situations.

Thanks

Steve

To hell with just the esp, clean the entire stove and vent system, take two aspirin for the arthritis pain before it starts.

To hell with just the esp, clean the entire stove and vent system, take two aspirin for the arthritis pain before it starts.
ESP should be cleaned at least yearly. And to hell with the asprin. Take two shots and let us know what happens in the morning!

I really get the feel that it may be due to a bad batch of pellets. The incoMPLETE combustion has never happened. I removed all pellets from hopper, vacd down in auger and replaced with a bag from a different ton of Energex. It seems to be burning well now. Have got it up to level 4 heat at feed 3. Has a nice ash line in burn pot.I willI absolutely clean that esp on my next big cleaning.

THanks guys. I will keep you informed if it fails again. i am guessing the story isn't over.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.