HARMAN P 43 IGNITER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Boorus

Feb 21, 2019
Michigan
GOOD MORNING ALL . I AM RUNNING IN ROOM TEMP MODE AND OCCASIONALLY THE OUTSIDE TEMP WILL GET IN THE MID 30s AND THE STOVE WILL SHUT DOWN. WHEN THIS HAPPENS I WILL CLEAN THE GLASS AND SCRAPE OUT THE BURN POT. AFTER DOING THIS, 3 OUT OF 4 TIMES THE STOVE WILL FEED PELLETS TO OVERFLOWING WITHOUT IGNITING! I WILL HAVE TO REMOVE ALL PELLETS AND TRY TO RESTART 2-3 TIMES BEFORE IT IGNITES PROPERLY. THIS IS THE 2ND HEATING SEASON ON THE STOVE . I DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM THE FIRST SEASON. IS THE IGNITER GOING BAD OR AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?

Have you cleaned inside the burn pot where the igniter is?

Exactly. Turn it to Test and Blow out with Air or Turkey Baster. I always preload my Burn Pot on Harmon XXV. Lights within 2 min or less.

I second the above posters. Also make sure all the holes in the burn pot are cleared. I use a small bent nail to check and clear them.

GOOD MORNING ALL . I AM RUNNING IN ROOM TEMP MODE AND OCCASIONALLY THE OUTSIDE TEMP WILL GET IN THE MID 30s AND THE STOVE WILL SHUT DOWN. WHEN THIS HAPPENS I WILL CLEAN THE GLASS AND SCRAPE OUT THE BURN POT. AFTER DOING THIS, 3 OUT OF 4 TIMES THE STOVE WILL FEED PELLETS TO OVERFLOWING WITHOUT IGNITING! I WILL HAVE TO REMOVE ALL PELLETS AND TRY TO RESTART 2-3 TIMES BEFORE IT IGNITES PROPERLY. THIS IS THE 2ND HEATING SEASON ON THE STOVE . I DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM THE FIRST SEASON. IS THE IGNITER GOING BAD OR AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?

If I don't clean the area inside the burn pot weldment where the igniter lives ~ every 1/2 ton of pellets burned I'll see slowed ignition or failed ignition. Loosen the two wing nuts and slide the cover upwards and then off. I fit a piece of clear tubing into the end of my shop vac that can be inserted into the cavity and suck every bit of ash out. If you tap the burn pot a few times to fins of the igniter will shed the ash stuck between them. This is also a good time to double check that all the small holes in the burn pot are clear of carbon. A mechanic's mirror is handy for this task. Igniters seem to fail all at once rather than slowly.

Hugh

Reactions: Ssyko
If I don't clean the area inside the burn pot weldment where the igniter lives ~ every 1/2 ton of pellets burned I'll see slowed ignition or failed ignition. Loosen the two wing nuts and slide the cover upwards and then off. I fit a piece of clear tubing into the end of my shop vac that can be inserted into the cavity and suck every bit of ash out. If you tap the burn pot a few times to fins of the igniter will shed the ash stuck between them. This is also a good time to double check that all the small holes in the burn pot are clear of carbon. A mechanic's mirror is handy for this task. Igniters seem to fail all at once rather than slowly.

Hugh
Have you cleaned inside the burn pot where the igniter is?
THANKS ALL!! I CLEAN THE BURN POT THOROUGHLY WHEN I DO THE GENERAL CLEAN BUT NOT IN BETWEEN. I WILL FROM NOW ON! THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLIES

Exactly. Turn it to Test and Blow out with Air or Turkey Baster. I always preload my Burn Pot on Harmon XXV. Lights within 2 min or less.
interesting... never heard that one.. how does the stove know your burnpot is loaded with enough pellets./? btw; i do hit the ignitor with compressed air after fingering out the ash.. [ must keep mouth closed when performing this] ..lol

Reactions: Washed-Up

Hugh
Thanks Hugh. That was great info.

interesting... never heard that one.. how does the stove know your burnpot is loaded with enough pellets./? btw; i do hit the ignitor with compressed air after fingering out the ash.. [ must keep mouth closed when performing this] ..lol
Heck if I know, it just lights lots quicker that way. Your suppost to run in Test to load the Pellets. I don't do that. Under Starting in Manual it says "4. I f starting after an empty hopper, turn Feed Adjuster to
"TEST" (for one 60 second cycle).2 This will feed pellets into the auger tube and also allow you to check the motors for operation."

I just pre load it and skip the test. Save the Wear and Tear on Pot. Plus saves those minutes.

Heck if I know, it just lights lots quicker that way. Your suppost to run in Test to load the Pellets. I don't do that. Under Starting in Manual it says "4. I f starting after an empty hopper, turn Feed Adjuster to
"TEST" (for one 60 second cycle).2 This will feed pellets into the auger tube and also allow you to check the motors for operation."

I just pre load it and skip the test. Save the Wear and Tear on Pot. Plus saves those minutes.
Ok. I burn 24/7 so rarely have an empty pot..

40f right now and Heat Pump is cheaper to run than Pellet Stove. Going to be 50f today (Newport WA). Strange Fall. Almost all of our Snow is Gone

I do the same thing after my 4-5 weeks cleaning shutdown on our P43. I just take a handful of pellets, squirt some gel starter on them, throw them into the burnpot and they are flaming away in a few minutes.

sam

Little confused here. Who does a test before starting the stove? I turn it on, it starts feeding an eventually ignites the pellets in couple minutes I dont see the bums rush to save a minute or 2..unless missing something here...

Last edited:
Little confused here. Who does a test before starting the stove? I turn it on, it starts feeding an eventually ignites the pellets in couple minutes I dont see the bums rush to save a minute or 2..unless missing something here...

I figure the sooner the pellets light, the sooner the igniter shuts off and maybe it lasts longer. been doing it that way for so long now ( our 8th heating season with the P43) it's just habit.

sam

I figure the sooner the pellets light, the sooner the igniter shuts off and maybe it lasts longer. been doing it that way for so long now ( our 8th heating season with the P43) it's just habit.

sam
I can understand that.. have 7 yrs on my harmanP61A ignitor..