Harman p35i Noisy Mechanism

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tortue

Apr 13, 2019
Seattle, WA
Newbie p35i owner here.
Since new, the auger mechanism has been the source of metal rattling/groaning noises.
The noise only occurs during the portion of it's rotation that engages the "Pellet Pro" trap door mechanism.
I have added rubber grommets on the shaft portion between the roller follower and the trap door bushing to dampen the insane rattling that was occurring there. This has reduced the consistent rattling considerably.
However, there is an inconsistent metal on metal rattling that is still occurring during this same phase of mechanical operation.
By tapping on the flame extender with a small hammer (during operation), I can stop the noise for a few auger rotations but it returns.
I have tightened every nut and bolt that I can find.
I think I've isolated the issue to the two floating stacked plates that make up the pellet "trap door" at the bottom of the hopper.
I'm at a loss as to how I should approach this.
Anyone else have this mind numbing harmonic rattle going on?

This sounds a lot like the same problem I had with my new p35i.... Here is my post...

Thanks to the post from fmsm for pointing us in the right direction. My local dealer was quite interested in solving the problem, especially after seeing my video. They contacted Harman, then sent a tech to the house. After pulling the auger, and replacing the auger motor, we removed the flame guide extension. That was what finally stopped the noise. Since we can not leave it out, I put some fiberglass gasket behind the two points where it contacts the heat exchanger plate, and the cast flame guide. Just reseating it did not work for me.
The dealer mentioned that the flame guide extension has been a recent addition to the stove. They are going to continue to work with Harman, I will update the post if they come up with anything.
In the mean time, my stove is much quieter, just the normal pellet stove noises.

Oh... by the way... They never got back to me.. So I think its just a design flaw... As everyone mentions, they are great stoves until something goes wrong. I am just starting to hear a new different vibration.. Oh well... tackle that next season..

Hope this helps.