Harman P38 auger noise?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

silverfox103

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2011
Littleton, NH
I have a P38 that I bought used 7 or 8 years ago, plus my P68 that I bought new 11 years ago. Together they do a nice job heating the house. The board on the P38 went a couple of weeks ago and I replaced it with the upgraded board. It was a pretty easy job.

The P38 makes a cyclical snapping noise when the feeder light is on. I emptied the pellets and didn't see anything that would be causing an issue. I also looked at the auger motor, it seemed to run smooth with no bumps. It sounds like when the auger turns it catches on something, then releases, making the snapping noise. It probably has been doing it for a while.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

thanks

Tom

I don't have the exact same stove as yours. I had a similar sounding issue that was caused by a misalignment of the auger drive chain after I replaced the auger motor. The chain would ride up on a sprocket tooth and then drop back down causing a dull banging sound. It didn't start right away after replacing the motor and it took some close watching to finally figure out what was causing the noise. That's my 2 cents.

If still makes noise with no pellets, look at the bearing, could be on it's way out.

Thanks guys for your answers. I will check the alignment and bearing wear. Won't get to it until early spring, as I'm headed down south for 3 months.

thanks

Tom