Harman P38 Install in corner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
all of the clearances listed on that diagram are for the exhaust vent termination, not for the wall thimble on the inside of the house. you have no minimum clearance from the inside section of the wall thimble to anything. make sure to maintain clearances from the stove to the wall and from the pipe itself to the wall, but nothing to worry about from he wall thimble perspective.

X2

Your 2nd picture shows the thimble installed awfully close to an inside wall corner..am I correct?
Harman manual requires a 12" clearance between thimble and an inside corner. Thats is what my concern is....I need to get this inspected and approved by our town -code enforcement and I dont want to have to move it and reinstall and create more holes...especially since i am doing this next month in the cold of december.

That 12" is for the outside as in not in your house.

Ok not to confuse you or sound like nut...I can install a regular dura vent wall thimble with the edge of the thimble being less than 12" (mine would be at 8") from an inside corner of a wall. ??

My outside area where the vent comes out of the house does not have a corner...the nearest corner is approx 12-15 ft away.

I appreciate everyones help and patience with this.
thanks joe t

Ok not to confuse you or sound like nut...I can install a regular dura vent wall thimble with the edge of the thimble being less than 12" (mine would be at 8") from an inside corner of a wall. ??

My outside area where the vent comes out of the house does not have a corner...the nearest corner is approx 12-15 ft away.

I appreciate everyones help and patience with this.
thanks joe t

In a word yes, the reason for that G clearance is because there is no control of the exhaust when it exits the vent and there is a higher temperature involved and the possibility of sparks and the assumption is that the wall is made of combustible material.

Vent terminations have all kinds of additional restrictions.

All you have to concern yourself with is that you don't cut any of the house supports, clear all wiring and plumbing, and that you don't modify that thimble in any way.

Definitely post the outside picture, let us see the outside so we will know if any of the other clearances are met or not.

Yes, and please do.

If you can incorporate an OAK into that setup, it would be very beneficial, especially if you just use a horizontal run. Consider a power outage while yer stove is running. No natural draft from a vertical chimney = potentially smoke filled house. OAKs greatly reduce drafts from your windows, doors, cracks etc.

If yer gonna go a cut a hole in the wall, that is a great time to run the "plumbing" for your OAK. If you have vinyl siding, you can use one of those vinyl trim plate things you sometimes see behind electrical meter boxes or exterior lights. If you're remotely handy you can do this easily. Plenty of people on the forum that can offer good advice as to making it functional and clean looking.

Here are my stove pics...

this pic is the corner where I want to install my pellet stove...pellet stove in position.

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q19/highridgejoe/?action=view&current=100_0004.jpg

next picture is the location of vent installation on the outside of the house,,,,just to the left of the window and approx 12" from the overhang.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q19/highridgejoe/100_0006.jpg

Next image is the outside of the side of the house////looking down towards the end of the house to show the corner that is 12-15ft away from stove vent installation point.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q19/highridgejoe/100_0007.jpg

Final image is the picture of my Harman PP38+ Manufactured in 1997...I sanded it down when I bought it used and repainted it hunter green. Paid 650 for it I think I got a good deal.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q19/highridgejoe/100_0005.jpg

Thanks

joe t

And what does your manual say about the vent clearance to a window that can open?

Let's see I'll bet that without an OAK it is 4 feet to the side or below a window or 1 foot above and that 4' gets dropped to 18" with an OAK.

ETA: That is clearance requirement B in the manual for a P38.

Keep in mind, this is the termination, not the pipe where it passes through the wall. IOW, the opening at the end of the pipe.

Edit- I'm referring to the clearances Smokey posted, which are accurate.
Nice pooch.

As long as the window is secured shut ( use a pc of angled metal and screws to secure the windows down. I only need 1 ft between thimble and a window....If I cannot install the wall thimble 8 inches from an inside corner of a room then I will have to move it to another wall where I have exactly 12 " on either side of the wall thimble....An air vent would be added to a lower part in the wall.
These windows will not be able to be opened while the stove is being used during the cold months.

You should be able to install that wall thimble 8" or less from the corner if there is nothing in the way inside the wall which is always a big question on any install. I don't see anything that raises any concern from the picture you just have to carefully cut a hole and take a look.

You won't need to secure the window. If you're 12" away from the window along the wall and your vent pipe is 18" out of the thimble that'll give you 21+" clearance.

......providing you use an OAK.

I always hate to put holes in walls and I've certainly made more than a few rewiring a house or installing new fixtures.

In an older home you never know what you'll find. Old plumbing, gas lines, assorted critter nests, oh well enjoy.

BTW: Why hunter green?

Why Hunter green? I dont know....wanted something different than black.....
As for the clearance of the thimble to the inside corner of a room....is there someplace that I can find this information in print??
I will need to show this to the code person when they do the inspection before I can use it.

Thanks
joe t

Thats what the code guy said to me....he said...read the manual and install it the way the manual says.....
I dont see anything that says I can install it in the corner that close...except for the Venting section (pg 8) for the PP38+ stove manual :

F. The clearance to an outside corner is 11" from
center of pipe.
G. The clearance to an inside corner is 12".

My next question is.......In G. Is the clearance from the center of pipe like in F. or not?

I still need to show proof that a wall thimble can be installed 8 " (at the edge of thimble) away from the inside corner of a wall...with the center of the pipe within that thimble being exactly 12" away from inside corner of the wall.

You don't get it those clearances are for outside of the house.

They are all outside vent termination clearances.

Inside vent clearances are dictated by the vent maker and all of those clearances for double walled pellet venting are either 3" or 1" to the surface of the venting from the nearest combustible material.

The inside clearance is either 3" or 1" from the vent pipe and since you can't modify that thimble you can place that almost against the wall.

The venting manufacturers installation instructions controls inside vent runs not the stove installation manual.

Outside venting is controlled by the stove makers installation instructions because they provide the combustion blower which to a large degree controls what the exhaust gas temperatures and content will be.when it exits the vent outdoors.

Dont want to sound like an echo.... But most vents are 1" Clearance to Combustibles. So the vent can be 1 " from your siding (if you have 1" rated). But the most is 3". So a thimble that is 8" is No Problem at all. The thimble is extra insulation for the vent which can be 1"-3" away from a wall, siding, etc.

Welcome to the Forums. You made an excellent choice with a Harman. :)

J&K T, my advice it to skip the first few posts of this thread and re-read the rest of em. All the info you requested has been provided several times. You may be over thinking the problem.

Reactions: DexterDay
J&K T, my advice it to skip the first few posts of this thread and re-read the rest of em. All the info you requested has been provided several times. You may be over thinking the problem.

X47 (thats this post #)

Reactions: P38X2
Thankyou...I must look for DuraVent specs for the vent pipes and wall thimble...I found something that says 3" from all combustables. Thanks for the help....sorry it was like pulling teeth.

joe t

Status
Not open for further replies.