Harman P38 issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bob_LobLaw

Mar 18, 2018
Canada
Please help. I have a harman P38 pellet stove that will only work when the heat is turned up all the way. Everything works fine at full throttle but nothing otherwise. It has the old style, two knob setup on it.

Thanks!

I can’t remember if room temp is an option on those older ones. If so and that’s what your using, could be a bad sensor. If not, could be a dirty or bad esp. baring all that, the potentiometer on your board dial could be going out. If your good with a solder gun, you can get those pots cheap and replace. Otherwise, your looking at a new board.

Reactions: Bob_LobLaw
I can’t remember if room temp is an option on those older ones. If so and that’s what your using, could be a bad sensor. If not, could be a dirty or bad esp. baring all that, the potentiometer on your board dial could be going out. If your good with a solder gun, you can get those pots cheap and replace. Otherwise, your looking at a new board.

Thanks for the response. A bit more info...

It doesn't have the temperature control, just the blower and feed rate knobs.

I just tried to run it at full throttle and the fan stops after about a minute or two and then it just feeds the pellets even though the stove itself is hot enough to engage the convection blower.

1] ESP sensor, clean or replace 2] bad potentiometer [ control knobs], replace, 3] bad control board..Also I would test convection blower make to sure it's not stopping after being on awhile..

1] ESP sensor, clean or replace 2] bad potentiometer [ control knobs], replace, 3] bad control board..Also I would test convection blower make to sure it's not stopping after being on awhile..

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can clean it up!

Also you could try cleaning the "pots" for feed & blower control knobs, maybe with some CAIG DeoxIT, or similar electronics cleaner, to clean them. Unit unplugged of course..

Also you could try cleaning the "pots" for feed & blower control knobs, maybe with some CAIG DeoxIT, or similar electronics cleaner, to clean them. Unit unplugged of course..

Awesome. Thanks!

My brother in law is an electric engineering tech and he's going to take a look at it for me. I'm not very handy. The worst part is that I've already sold the house so I need to get the stove in working order ASAP. And given the costs of moving, I'd love to not have to replace the whole board.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob_LobLaw and bags
Agreed. Start with the ESP. Then clean the knobs for a quick and dirty possibility. Roll them back and forth while using an electrical spray cleaner. Bottom line...... The old two knobber has some miles and time on that setup. Good Luck!

So an update. It was the ESP so I just received the replacement part.

One more question. When my brother in law was working on the stove, we took it off where it connects to the chimney. In the process we ruined the ceramic wool gasket. Any ideas as to the thickness of the ceramic wool that I should buy? The piece that was there was pretty degraded so it tough to tell.

Thanks!

So an update. It was the ESP so I just received the replacement part.

One more question. When my brother in law was working on the stove, we took it off where it connects to the chimney. In the process we ruined the ceramic wool gasket. Any ideas as to the thickness of the ceramic wool that I should buy? The piece that was there was pretty degraded so it tough to tell.

Thanks!

This is where the gasket was. I'm not even certain what the material was, I'm just assuming it was ceramic wool.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180404_140629.jpg
    20180404_140629.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 254
Great you're up and running. Thanks for the update.