Harman P43 combustion fan problem.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaineiacMoose

Oct 23, 2014
Maine
Hey all.

I have finally ran into a problem with my Harman.

My wife called me at work the other night and said the stove was out. I told her to shut it off and turn it back on and see if that works. It did not. So when I got home I tried putting the stove in test mode and everything worked fine. I turned it to room temp auto with the feed set at 3 like the instructions say and all seems well until I hear the combustion blower kick on for a half second and then off and tries again ten or so seconds later.

So the stove wont light like this so I cleaned the stove since it seems I will be getting in there to figure this out. I even went so far as to take my tooth brush to the blower fan fins. Go to fire it up same thing.

At this point I am thinking that I should call the repair man but I really did not want to. I pulled the covers off the back of the stove and found the combustion fan. It was pretty warm to the touch I wiggled the wires and tapped it with a screwdriver a few times. Tried to fire it up and off she went. Now my flame is pretty damn lazy looking and it is leaving a bunch of ash everywhere more than normal.

Now I bought my stove used it had barely any use on it at all it was a stove for a camp. The stove is a 2013 model. As I understand it I am chit out of luck on the warranty for a combustion blower, is that true?

Fast forward 3 nights and I cleaned the stove again and when I went to start it same deal except this time the motor is very hot so you cannot put your hand on the motor.

Any Ideas fellas?
I do enjoy being warm.
Maineiac

Don't know if the warranty is transferable..look in your manual . So in test mode the combustion motor works fine? What happens if you try to run it on stove temp mode. Only thing I can think of is if you are comfortable with this is to "hot wire" the combustion motor, meaning make a power cord, Unplug the stove, disconnect your combustion blower wires and connect them to the cord and plug into the wall and see if runs OK then. Again Unplug the stove first....Do this test procedure only if you feel ok with electricity

Sounds like the motor is toast. If it won't work in test and you can't get it to run wiring directly to it as gfreek described above you need a new one. As for warranty, Harman has an 800 number. Call them and ask.

If you have to buy one then it seems this place has it for $102: http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/category-s/200.htm

If the bearings are dragging the speed down a light oiling sometimes can help that ( I did this recently with a frozen up clip up fan actually).. If it's electrical then that's a different matter..

Last edited:
I thought I saw the warranty was transferable IF you pay some $25 fee. Worth checking into. It could have been in the older Harman paperwork though for my older PC45.

I just read Harman's warranty and it is only transferrable as it was installed (ie, if you sell the house and leave the stove there). Although as F4Jock says, it never hurts to ask, especially being so new.

Reactions: bags
Yea sounds like a bad motor. They don't look very difficult to replace.
Not hard to replace if you need too but if the fan is seized onto the motor spindle it's a PITA. Many times this is the case. It will need to be cut off and you also need a new fan blade but they are fairly cheap. About $15 bucks if I recall correctly.

There is a Youtube video on someone cutting one off with a sawzall but I think there are better ways to get one off.

Not hard to replace if you need too but if the fan is seized onto the motor spindle it's a PITA. Many times this is the case. It will need to be cut off and you also need a new fan blade but they are fairly cheap. About $15 bucks if I recall correctly.

There is a Youtube video on someone cutting one off with a sawzall but I think there are better ways to get one off.
That is exactly why i apply a dab anti-seize during each ton cleaning when I reinstall the combustion fan blade after brushing it and the fan housing down real good. :)

I do the very same on my new 68 but it was a little late to do so on the used PC45 I bought. That fan and motor are monolithic. One piece! :mad:

The motor runs in test just fine. It just doesn't seem to want to start the stove when its out. One its on its fine I have been leaving it in manual mode so the fan stays on.

Any ideas?

Still sounds like dragging bearings. Test mode puts full voltage to the motors while in running mode the motors are regulated below full voltage I believe.

You would probably have to check to see what voltage is going to the motor in start mode..

Status
Not open for further replies.