Harman P43 or Quadra Fire mt vernon ae ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmb78blue

Jan 25, 2017
PA
So I have decided to buy another stove in the spring or maybe sooner. I am really leaning towards the Harman p43 or 61 but I the Quadra Fire looks nice and has some nice features. I live in mountains SW Pennsylvania where is does get down to -15 and sometimes colder, My house was built in 1915 and about 1800 sf and has new windows and pretty good insulation. Right now I have a kozi Previa 40k btu and it does the job but I want to move that to the basement so I can completely run on Bio, and not oil!!!! I have both Harman and Quadra fire dealers with 30 mintues, and dealer support is great with both and Close!! any help is Greatly appreciated and Thank You in advance!!

I've never had a quad, but do have a P43 (and P61a). Love the Harman's for ease of use and simplicity of cleaning - so I guess you know where my vote goes ;)

Reactions: bags
Buy the one the wife likes !!

Reactions: rich2500
I like my Harman Advanced. If I were to replace my stove, which I am not, I would purchase a Harman P43, which is significantly easier/faster to clean than my Harman Advanced. I am sold on Harman.

I got my Harman Advanced new in 2008 and it just keeps running. I replaced the igniter last year. Outside of that no other repairs. I may be looking at changing the rope gasket around the door and ash pan. It will be 10 years old so probably good time to change the gaskets.

I never got an OAK installed. Seems to be working without it. If its not broken why fix it. I like simple.

Sorry I can't comment on the Quadra Fire. Many Harman owners on this forum. Hopefully someone that is not a dealer will post with their experience on both Harman and Quadra Fire. Check out the cleaning video's on each stove. to see which may be easier to clean.

I pick up bags, I put them down, I cut them open, and pour. Then I use some of the empty bags for dog poop. I have three 60lb dogs. I know, too much information.

Good luck on your decision.

you already know that you can't beat a Harman, so why try?

thanks to all! I think I am sold on the Harman p43 but if I can talk the wife into the 61 we will go that way. I know the dealer has 2 p43 in stock right now, I don't know if he has a p61. We are going to go Tuesday!! I know she LOVES looking at pellet stove and when I spend a couple grand, I wish!! just another quick question to all the Harman owners. Do you think a p61 would be over kill for my 1800sf house? I will be running my kozi previa in the basement also

I can heat my home with the PC45 but its pretty well insulated and really the top btu out put needed is not more that 20k. Comes down to circulation of the air to properly heat the spaces. My Bixby has a better fan and with corn being cheap too is doing the heavy work at a pound an hour till I get outside temps below 15. Your two stove option should be a breeze to heat provided your home is not tar paper shack:)

Harman is much easier to clean and work on. Much cheaper control module if it fails out of warranty.

P61 won't over heat more than p43 since they both feed the same amounts at idle. It's just the larger one can crank out more BTU if and when needed.

I am sold on the Harmon, I just hope he has a P61 in stock, I know he had two P43. I just have to convince the wife "WE" need the bigger one! Thanks everyone for your input!

Reactions: bogieb and bags
I think since you will be running two stoves the 43 would do it but as mentioned having that extra horse power at times is very nice. Both brands are good stoves but Harman is very hard to beat. Easy, simple, and bullet proof for the most part. Either way you'd like both over the Kozi.

I have a friend that started with a Kozi and after awhile he yanked it out and replaced it with a Harman. He likes the Harman much more. I am partial to Harmans and mine have treated me well. But if you already have one I'd roll with that as you are planning also.

Reactions: bogieb
Your kozi Previa is 40K BTU. Did it produce enough heat? If not you will need the Harman P61a that produces 60k BTU.

The Harman P43 produces 42K BTU which will only work for you if the kozi Previa 40k btu currently produces enough heat.

I think I am going to spend the extra bucks and buy the P61, I have about 4 Harmon dealers I saw on the Harmon webpage, I think I am going to go to the bank and get cash and make the day of driving to each one of them to see who will give me the best cash deal. I am going to also wait to pull out that $100 Harmon Coupon I have till after they give me the price!

Just a update Wife told me buy what ever I want!

Reactions: bags and bogieb
what is the price difference between the 43 and the 61? a round about number? I know that one dealer I bought pellets from last week told me 3100 for the p43

The P61 will only put out as much heat as you ask it to and you will have extra if you need it on those really cold, windy nights - and it will probably never work really hard to keep you warm. However, with the Cozy downstairs, you may not need that big a stove. I have a P61 in the basement that runs the most. Course it is heating the foundation and some of the heat goes upstairs so the P43 never really has to work hard. If I could do it all over again, I would have two P43's. However, my main floor is only 950 sq/ft (basement at 650 sq/ft) so my experience won't directly compare to yours.

Hey, and if the wife says get whatever you want - then go for it.

PS - you might want to check the clearances for the P61. You'll need something like 20" from combustibles (at the sides). The P43 isn't quite that much at 16" and you can get it down even further by getting heat shields for the sides (14" clearance for the P61 and 10" for the P43). You may have plenty of room as I don't know what your existing set up is, but thought I would mention it.

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
I think I am going to spend the extra bucks and buy the P61, I have about 4 Harmon dealers I saw on the Harmon webpage, I think I am going to go to the bank and get cash and make the day of driving to each one of them to see who will give me the best cash deal. I am going to also wait to pull out that $100 Harmon Coupon I have till after they give me the price!

Just a update Wife told me buy what ever I want!

HarmAn....HarmAn...HarmAn

I called the dealer he has on P61 We are going tomorrow morning, I am gonna be there when he opens the door at 8am!! Cant wait!

Good Luck! You will not regret getting a Harman at all. Great stoves.

I suspect the AE will be higher priced . I owned both the AE and a Harman PC45 Buy the Harman as a lot less problems. The AE sounds good until you have problems then you will need a dealer. You can understand a Harman and get parts from E-Bay usually different sources for fans that will fit a Harman. Meaning you don't have to be married to that dealer.

Reactions: bags and railfanron