Harman p61-2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbosporsche

Dec 31, 2012
Shelton,ct
So I sold my englander pdvc and picked up a harman p61-2 with auto ignite. My friend had it when he bought his house and the people told him that they used it for 2 seasons then it broke so they went with a gas furnace.

I cleaned it all out and it seamed to start up. My question is after reading the manual from online and the sticky forums on here what's the best way to set up.

I mean do I use the room temp setting or go with a separate remote thermostat and go that route.

Depending on what you want it to do, I use stove temp mode it saves wear on the igniter and I know how much I am burning:cool:

Reactions: will711
Depending on what you want it to do, I use stove temp mode it saves wear on the igniter and I know how much I am burning:cool:

Ok thanks . I would like the stove to be as effient as possible as we all do. Least amount of pellets while getting the most heat into the room.

Hello

Congrats on your Nu-2-Yu Harman. :)
I picked up 3 "new to me" Harman P61a and sold one to pay for the other 2! Anyway, I have then both downstairs and with a combo of 120 BTUs they should heat well in this 2 level split.

My question is what type of house do you have and where is the location of the stove? Location is very important!

We have many options on controlling these babes.

Stove Control
1. Stove Temp mode - a good option especially for those cold winter days when it should be on all day.
2. Room Temp mode - good for the fall and spring when you want the stove to shut down on mild days where no heat is needed.

Remote Control
3. Wired T-Stat - Such as Lux 1500u from Lowes with the "Swing = 2" which is made for pellet stoves.
4. Wireless Skytech T-Stat such as the Sky-1001TH-A -- you can move to any location for more comfort.
5. WiFi T-Stat such as an Ecobee Smart-Stat such as EB-Stat-02 for Smart Phone control anywhere!

In options 3-5 the T-Stat must be connected to one leg of the room probe and the stove must be set on room temp mode on a setting higher than what your t-stat is set. Example set Harman control to 95 Deg F and then your T-Stat will control the temp when setting it to 70 or 75 Deg F for example.

I have not completely decided which way I am going but may try a few of the above options.

The Harman Stove controls work well and many people use them. There are also some members here who do use a T-Stat and feel they save even more pellets when using the programmable Set Back feature by turning the temp down at night.

So let's try some and compare notes?

Also we like to see some pics of your stove install?

Attachments

• HarmanP61aBasement.JPG
    HarmanP61aBasement.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 1,079
  • HarmanP61aGarageUpdated.jpg
    HarmanP61aGarageUpdated.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 581
  • HarmanP61aShed.JPG
    HarmanP61aShed.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 659
Reactions: herdfan2003
Hello

I picked up 3 "new to me" Harman P61a and sold one to pay for the other 2! Anyway, I have then both downstairs and with a combo of 120 BTUs they should heat well in this 2 level split.

My question is what type of house do you have and where is the location of the stove? Location is very important!

Stove Control
1. Stove Temp mode - a good option especially for those cold winter days when it should be on all day.
2. Room Temp mode - good for the fall and spring when you want the stove to shut down on mild days where no heat is needed.

Remote Control
3. Wired T-Stat - Such as Lux 1500u from Lowes with the "Swing = 2" which is made for pellet stoves.
4. Wireless Skytech T-Stat such as the Sky-1001TH-A -- you can move to any location for more comfort.
5. WiFi T-Stat such as an Ecobee Smart-Stat such as EB-Stat-02 for Smart Phone control anywhere!

In options 3-5 the T-Stat must be connected to one leg of the room probe and the stove must be set on room temp mode on a setting higher than what your t-stat is set. Example set Harman control to 95 Deg F and then your T-Stat will control the temp when setting it to 70 or 75 Deg F for example.

I have not completely decided which way I am going but may try a few of the above options.

The Harman Stove controls work well and many people use them. There are also some members here who do use a T-Stat and feel they save even more pellets when using the programmable Set Back feature by turning the temp down at night.

Also we like to see some pics of your stove install?

Don, I notice duct work to the right of one of your pictures. Do you have this model piped into your ductwork? If so, how well does it work?

Don, I notice duct work to the right of one of your pictures. Do you have this model piped into your ductwork? If so, how well does it work?

Piping any stove into ductwork can really help distribute the heat better. At first I tried just having the ductwork over the stove and measured 80 Deg coming out of the register upstairs. Then I brought the ductwork down to the front of the stove and measured 130 Deg out of the kitchen and livingroom registers so the heat is more even between the upstairs and downstairs.
See more pics in this thread.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ribution-getting-the-heat-up-one-floor.65315/

Anyway, it may be worth a try with the Harman too!

It may not be within the town fire codes but the codes vary so much. Some tows say if the ductwork is securely fasten to the front of the stove, then it is ok.

Reactions: herdfan2003
Piping any stove into ductwork can really help distribute the heat better. At first I tried just having the ductwork over the stove and measured 80 Deg coming out of the register upstairs. Then I brought the ductwork down to the front of the stove and measured 130 Deg out of the kitchen and livingroom registers so the heat is more even between the upstairs and downstairs.
See more pics in this thread.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ribution-getting-the-heat-up-one-floor.65315/

Anyway, it may be worth a try with the Harman too!

It may not be within the town fire codes but the codes vary so much. Some tows say if the ductwork is securely fasten to the front of the stove, then it is ok.

After looking at that thread and the pictures you all have become my high tech redneck heros....:cool:. I may have some pics of my own to post soon. My mind is racing with ideas for my basement...lol.

After looking at that thread and the pictures you all have become my high tech redneck heros....:cool:. I may have some pics of my own to post soon. My mind is racing with ideas for my basement...lol.
Stick with a unit that allows ducting to be connected or go the furnace route. Stoves have too much heat coming from the convection blower and could cause issues like hot registers that will burn toes. These units have higher CFM convection fans and lower convection temps. They also have sealed convection so if the unit smokes it less likely to go upstairs.

Some of us improvised as we went along. If you can do it right the first time, It will most likely be a safer install.

[qthanks Don2222, post: 1507557, member: 13576"]Hello

Stove Control

Remote Control

Also we like to see some pics of your stove install?[/quote]

thanks for the writeup I have an expanded Cape. The house is built in 1980 insulated, the house is 2600 sSq ft with 500 of that a fa
mily room with its own pellet stove insert. the first floor plan is pretty open. upstairs is 2 bath 4 bedroom.
thanks

Another option that I didn't see mentioned is Room Temp Manual. If you change the igniter selector switch to manual when in room temp mode, the stove won't shut down. When no heat is needed, it burns at the lowest possible level and will ramp up when heat is needed. If you put the igniter in manual when in stove mode, the blower won't run.

Another option that I didn't see mentioned is Room Temp Manual. If you change the igniter selector switch to manual when in room temp mode, the stove won't shut down. When no heat is needed, it burns at the lowest possible level and will ramp up when heat is needed. If you put the igniter in manual when in stove mode, the blower won't run.

X2, Good info!

Looking at the title of this thread got me thinking, "What the hell is a P61-2? I've heard of just a plain P-61 and I have a P61A, but not a P-61-2. How is it different than a P-61A?

Looking at the title of this thread got me thinking, "What the hell is a P61-2? I've heard of just a plain P-61 and I have a P61A, but not a P-61-2. How is it different than a P-61A?

Good Question.
There are exactly 4 models

The following models have the old style Fire Door.
P61 - Manual Lite (Old ash door and ash pan)
P61a - Auto Lite (Old ash door and ash pan)

The following models have the new style Fire Door.
P61-2 - Manual Lite with new recessed ash door so the the decorative tile is flush with the front. (The ash pan is thinner also)
P61a-2 - Same as above but with Auto Lite

Hope this helps.

Pics are of the same stove that I re-incarnated ! ! ! LOL
Pic1 below is old P61 or P61a with old fire door and old ash door with optional surface mounted tile frame holder.
Pic 2 below is new P61-2 or P61a-2 with new fire door and new recessed ash door with recessed tile.
Also has optional nickel trim kit and hopper extension

Attachments

• HarmanP61.JPG
    HarmanP61.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 859
  • HarmanP61aBasement.JPG
    HarmanP61aBasement.JPG
    213.4 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
Looking at your pictures, my stove (purchased March 2009) has the new fire door, but hard to see the difference in the ash door. So based on that I have a P-61-2, although my dealer never referred to it as that, just P-61A.

Looking at your pictures, my stove (purchased March 2009) has the new fire door, but hard to see the difference in the ash door. So based on that I have a P-61-2, although my dealer never referred to it as that, just P-61A.

Yes, it is a P61a-2

The tile sticks out in pic 1 - There were problems with them falling and breaking!

So in pic 2 - the tile is recessed and cannot fall and break!. In order to close the ash door with the new recess, the ash pan is slightly smaller. LOL

I apologize in advance if I should have started another thread for this question, but I figured I would ask here since the discussion is already taking place for the various differences of a P61.

If I call up my dealer and order a P61a, am I going to get the the P61a-2 or do I need to specify '2'? Is the hopper extension an option with the P61a model or just the P61a-2 model?

The hopper extension is optional for all models and the Harman price is approx $229.00 I got an aftermarket job for $85.00. it is just a sheet metal box. with no top or bottom! LOL

Thanks for the replies. I am picking up a P61a on Monday.

Does the hopper need additional support with the extension attached?

Thanks for the replies. I am picking up a P61a on Monday.

Does the hopper need additional support with the extension attached?

No, but I bolted mine on. Some people just use self tappers.

Welcome to the Happy Harman users club! Less maintenance and less hastle!

Last edited:
No, is great for those long cold days or three day weekends.

Not, but I bolted mine on. Some people just use self tappers.

Welcome to the Happy Harman users club! Less maintenance and less hastle!

Thank you. The lower maintenance/hassle quality was a key contributor to my decision to buy one. I actually enjoy maintaining equipment, but I do not enjoy babysitting it. The Harman will be replacing a Fabco Nightfire 3000 (just died) that was installed in 1993 by the original owners of the home that I bought a couple months ago. It would have been nice to have the last week or so as we saw temps below zero overnight, but a natural draft pellet stove leaves much to be desired.

FWIW, all current P61's produced these days are P61a-2. The ole P61 hasn't been produced in years, it was eclipsed by the P61a.

I also don't know many (if any) dealers who refer to the P61A as a P61A-2 (even tho that's technically correct)

I picked up my stove today. How do I know when it was made? The only date I can find is a test date.

you would have to ask your dealer....other dealers cant look up the MFG date by serial number if they didn't sell it originally....otherwise I'd be happy to do so for you

Status
Not open for further replies.