Harman P61 vs P68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigeclipse

Feb 8, 2017
NY
All,
I currently have a wood stove that heats the house just fine but I am tired of lugging all the wood and the dirt...etc from the stove getting everywhere. We have a 1600 sqft house. The house is both old and new. Technically built in early 1900s but has been renovated a few times since so some parts are modern while others are not. I would say it is in the middle of being well insulated versus terrible insulation. The floor plan is not open but our ceilings are extremely low at 6 foot 7 inches which certainly makes heating the house easier. It is a two story house with 2 bedrooms upstairs and a master bedroom on the first floor. I live in the north east in NY. Winters are typically in the low 20s but we do see days in the teens and even below zero occasionally. I don't want to make the mistake of getting to small or too large a pellet stove. I would locate the stove where the wood stove currently in the middle of the house. I will also vent it through the existing chimney (I have read a little about converting a wood stove chimney for pellet stoves). We like to keep the main room in the house in the low 70s but do not mind hotter as we are used to it with the wood stove. If the main part is 75 the rest of the house will be between 68-72 so not bad. We are looking at buying used. There is a Harman P61 from 2009 for sale locally which has recently had its full service (whatever that means) for $1200 dollars and looks like it is in nice shape or there is a Brand new only used one pallet of pellets so far P68 locally for 3500$ (we would offer maybe $2800). If the P61 will work id rather go that route as it is much cheaper. Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd buy the P61 for that price, it's a heat cranking machine. I assume this is a p61a that has an igniter verses manual start only p61 model. If not then maybe think about whether you want a manual start stove or not.

Reactions: bags