Harman P61A ignition problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KKremp

Jan 5, 2014
Barrhead Ab
I have a Harman p61A in a home I purchased a few months ago. I know very little about this stove and can not seem to find a tech to come look at it. I t was working fine after the first cleaning a couple months ago and is now failing to ignite. The igniter light is not on and there are no status blinks. I changed the igniter so I know it is not full of ash. The burn pot is also clean. I tried lighting it manually but before the fire can get established it feeds so many pellets it pushes the fire out into the ash can. Not sure what to try next.

Put it on "manual" and try relighting it again.

I have a Harman p61A in a home I purchased a few months ago. I know very little about this stove and can not seem to find a tech to come look at it. I t was working fine after the first cleaning a couple months ago and is now failing to ignite. The igniter light is not on and there are no status blinks. I changed the igniter so I know it is not full of ash. The burn pot is also clean. I tried lighting it manually but before the fire can get established it feeds so many pellets it pushes the fire out into the ash can. Not sure what to try next.

Sounds like the auto damper inside the air inlet tube in the back is stuck close! May need some WD-40 or some lubricant.

Thanks. Now I have a 3 blink status light. I guess that's a new ESP.
So it IS running now? IF you have a well sealed OAK, turn the stove to off and unplug it for a few seconds, plug it back in and turn it back on, then see if you get the 3 blink again.

Thanks. Now I have a 3 blink status light. I guess that's a new ESP.

The ESP probes do not go bad easily. I would suspect a loose connection on the ESP wire to the circuit board. Unplug the stove, then disconnect the ESP probe wire on the back of the circuit board by pushing on the tab. Then plug the ESP wire back in and make sure it is making good contact.

Last edited:
Another thing I forgot is that the blowers will run when the stove is in the off position. Even when it is cold.

If the blowers run with the mode knob in the off position, that is indicative of a bad control knob known as a potentiometer. A new pot can be soldered on the circuit board, but if this stove is in warranty, I would demand a new circuit board from your dealer!

It's not on warranty. Could this cause it not to light?

Yes, I would definately replace the circuit board. New boards have better algorythms in the chipset for better heat control too!

Status
Not open for further replies.