Harman P61A Pellet stove issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pa MKD

Nov 9, 2022
Pa
I have a 2017 P61A pellet stove that started to run even though the selector switch was in the off position. Distribution and combustion blowers run and after a few minutes the status blinks 3 times indicating a problem with the ESP probe. My question is can this happen when the unit is not even functioning?

Thanks

Remove, clean and re-install the ESP probe.e It's the heart of the Harman. This should be done with every cleaning, even more often if you burn dirty pellets.

Not sure that a dirty ESP would cause the stove to start up when the knob is turned to off.

I believe the on/off knob is potentiometer. It may need to be cleaned. There a spray type cleaners available. Just my $.02…
This is most likely the issue.

Thanks for the replies. The problem turned out to be a bad ESP probe. Had a service call done to verify.

Thanks for the replies. The problem turned out to be a bad ESP probe. Had a service call done to verify.

Well, so much for my theory - my apologies to @gutlo for basically poo-pooing his idea

Reactions: Washed-Up
Remove, clean and re-install the ESP probe.e It's the heart of the Harman. This should be done with every cleaning, even more often if you burn dirty pellets.
My P-43 is 12 years old and I’ve never removed the ESP probe. I simply take a bottle brush or paint brush and brush the ESP a few times during the burning season. I’ve not had any issues yet.

My P-43 is 12 years old and I’ve never removed the ESP probe. I simply take a bottle brush or paint brush and brush the ESP a few times during the burning season. I’ve not had any issues yet.

That is what I do with my P61a and P43 - brush it when I am brushing out the exhaust (about every other cleaning), but never removed either of them.

Reactions: ABusWrench