Harman P68 Auger Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fgaston

Oct 8, 2020
Wilton, CT
Hi Folks:
Auger stopped operating. I've researched all posts on topic I can find, and checked usual suspects:
  1. jumped/bridged vacuum switch
  2. all seals tight and unobstructed
  3. thorough cleaning including exhaust/ESP probe, feeder body, etc.
  4. I can turn the auger freely, so it's not jammed by a pellet.
I then thought about auger motor itself but then read it's extremely rare to have to replace one.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, Fred

Check the 1/4-20 retaining screw that secures the auger shaft to the motor.
It has a 7/16 head on it, & can loosen up over time & may need to be tightened.
You need to make sure it sits directly on the flat that is machined into the shaft,
or you will still have an issue.

Reactions: Washed-Up
It very well could be the auger motor. I replaced mine a few years ago when it went dead. Test it with an old electrical cord (one end cut off) plugged directly into an outlet.

I can turn the auger freely, so it's not jammed by a pellet.
That it should NOT do, at least not much. Like Daksy said, check the auger securing screw. Sounds loose.

On my stove the auger interfaces with a drive tang that couples to the motor drive so I can remove it (no securing screw) but it must interface with the drive tang or it won't rotate. Good and bad. If I run out of fuel in the hopper, the last bit of fuel will cause the feed auger to back out of the tang and enter the firebox an inch or so.

Thanks for your help. So, after inspection, the motor (& fan) do work, AND the screw is tight, but it's not turning. So should I focus on the drive tang or is their a reduction gear that might have broken. The screw I checked was on shaft outside of motor that connects to auger & was a tad bigger than 3/8". Question: if I do need to pull motor, is it easy to do? I don't see how it connects but will Google. Best, Fred

Pretty straight forward, and always label your wiring so reassembly is easier

You say the auger turns by hand
the screw is tight
the motor works
Did the auger turn feely when connected to the auger motor?
If so and the screw is in the right place and tight
I would pull the motor and test make sure the output turns
open it up and check for a striped gear

The newer drives have plastic gears inside that are prone to stripping... Not good for the end user, good for profit (cheaper to make). Planned obsolescence.

Gents:
I pulled motor and when motor is engaged, fan spins but shaft doesn't spin at all, so I'm going to buy a new motor tomorrow to prepare for the coming cold. Thanks all for your help!

Reactions: Ssyko and DAKSY
You need to take the gear case apart and put some real grease inside. Not hard really. I grease all my drives every spring. I've actually installed grease fittings on the gearcases so I use a grease gun.

Reactions: DAKSY
Good news gents: it was the auger motor (the gears were intact). Question: do I move the whole fan assembly (fan/large spindle)? Reason I ask is if I use old fan/spindle it doesn't fit exactly right and makes a louder noise than usual & required me to initially start it by hand. I don't see how to take just the fan off & move it to the new "spindle". Thanks Fred

Correction: I used the motor spindle (without fan) that came with new auger motor, and obviously everything is good. I'm assuming they would have included a fan if it was required. Thanks again for everyone's help-couldn't have done without you, and the wife is very happy.