Harman P68 Firepot Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
if things didn't look too rotten I'd take it to a trusted welder and give it a go
Look at it this way.
right now.. it's junk.
If it did not work, it ain't that much different...
If it were me, I would try a new piece, something like this,
figuring that the whole thing "may" not be that thin at
distances away from the hole..
Forget building up the damage, It's too thin.
If you were closer, I'd certainly give it a go...

burnpot copy.jpg

Dan

If the metal is that compromised, replace it. For insurance/liability reasons I dont think it would be wise to try to fix it. Its a bolt on part, swap it out

Reactions: Mt Bob and SciGuy
Time is money. My stoves are my heat. If it was a shop stove,I might consider a welding patch, but only after a full cleaning and judging the rest of the metal.

For insurance/liability reasons I dont think it would be wise to try to fix it.
I do not understand that reasoning.
Because something is worn/broken,
does not mean it cannot be satisfactorily repaired..
I didn't suggest using duct tape.

Dan

Reactions: Washed-Up
I do not understand that reasoning.
Because something is worn/broken,
does not mean it cannot be satisfactorily repaired..
I didn't suggest using duct tape.

Dan
My reasoning is if the 1/8" thick metal in the pot floor is that compromised that it burn thru in a spot that the remainder of the metal on the pot floor has been subjected to the same amount of abuse/wear. In the 15 yrs I have been servicing Harmans, the only burn pots I have seen burn thru is the PF100 (they were known for that). Wit that being said if a P68 is burnt thru it could be a bad batch of steel. If it was a $1000-1500 part it would be one thing, but it is a couple hundred bucks.
We are all here to help one another and we all have different experiences and opinions that is what makes a forum like this so valuable. I am a service tech for a Authorized Harman dealer so my view is to get it back to factory spec. Others are welders/fabricators and know metallurgy and can make a assessment and determine what is need to done to make a safe sound repair. The majority of us on here dont have that kind of knowledge. The different points of view is very useful knowledge for the owner to make a decision on which way to go after hearing some debate both from both sides. All is good:)

.... If it was a $1000-1500 part it would be one thing, but it is a couple hundred bucks.
Others are welders/fabricators and know metallurgy and can make a assessment and determine what is need to done to make a safe sound repair. The majority of us on here dont have that kind of knowledge.
I understand your position, completely.
Mine is.. "IF" one has the ability, or knows of someone that does,
you have nothing to lose to at least try.. It's already junk.
Worse case is, it's still junk, and you toss it.
You say it's only a couple hundred bucks... To me, and other "Yankees", that is a lot.

We are all here to help one another and we all have different experiences and opinions that is what makes a forum like this so valuable.
Absolutely!!

Reactions: rickwai
I understand your position, completely.
Mine is.. "IF" one has the ability, or knows of someone that does,
you have nothing to lose to at least try.. It's already junk.
Worse case is, it's still junk, and you toss it.
You say it's only a couple hundred bucks... To me, and other "Yankees", that is a lot.

Absolutely!!
I am on here to learn from others and help when I can. My ears are always open. Nobody knows it all. I am on forum for most things I have. Toyota, Honda, Grasshopper mowers, stoves ect. The wife is always saying "what forum are you on now!":) Everyone wants to share there tricks they come up with.