Harman P68 weak flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gunslinger1919

Nov 13, 2020
MD
New to the group searching around for some answers my Harman P68 after an extensive cleaning has a weak flame and will not increase. It basically burns all the pellets out of the pot and will not feed anymore. I replaced several items as well, the esp probe, vacuum pressure switch and igniter. Pellets are lignetics gold. Also door seal is new and i just ordered a bottom seal only other thing i can think of. Only dealer/service is getting 80 calls a day and has like one tech making service calls.

Before anything else I'd try a few bags of a different brand of pellets.

Did you bypass the vacuum switch by connecting the 2 wires together..?? Shut it down and unplug it first..

I did by pass the switch and the ignitor never came on... I took the ignitor out and ran the wires again and sealed up the grommet. I plugged the wires into the vacuum switch normal and got the weak flame this time. Before it was not lighting now a weak flame. Machine was unplugged and reset as well. Ill try again tomorrow as I am working tonight. I have some statesman pellets I can run but never really had and problems out of lignetics gold.

New to the group searching around for some answers my Harman P68 after an extensive cleaning has a weak flame and will not increase.

Was there a weak flame before the cleaning or only after the cleaning?

Did your extensive cleaning by chance include cleaning the "fines compartment" ? It's really easy to accidentally improperly close the lid on that compartment and not get it sealed up. If it's not properly sealed it will leak so much air that the vacuum switch won't close and to allow the igniter to function and the stove won't burn properly either. There's a slot in the top of the fines compartment cover that must slide over a tab that sticks vertically upward from the feeder weldment. If you're doing this by braille it's easy to get it wrong. Depending on your installation you may need a mechanic's mirror and flashlight to look at it.

YMMV,

Hugh

Last edited:
Also, haven’t seen it mentioned, check your intake flap and make sure it’s moving freely

Reactions: SciGuy
Checked into flap it is opening fine as I have an outside air kit. The fines box was cleaned as well I have it back over the little lip and wing nut tightened down. Once I get a new lower door gasket I’ll replace that this week. Thanks for all the follow up and challenges on cleaning and reassembly.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Ok just pulled the fines cover again and put it back on.. I jumped pressure switch and the stove started right up. So possibly low pressure somewhere maybe that bottom door seal I need to replace it this week.

Reactions: bags
Ok just pulled the fines cover again and put it back on.. I jumped pressure switch and the stove started right up. So possibly low pressure somewhere maybe that bottom door seal I need to replace it this week.

How's the flame now? If it's good, you just found your air leak. I've flubbed getting the fines cover on more than once when I was certain I'd done it correctly.

Flame is running good! Obviously the initial big one until burned down but looks normal.
28A1382E-EE29-44DD-83F7-17AAD94660B4.jpeg

Excellent!!! I'd go ahead and unjump my vacuum switch. I expect things will fine now.

I love it when things come together.

Don't forget to close your hopper lid.