Harman p68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shoe0402

Dec 15, 2015
Pennsylvania
hi guys I just got a harman p68 from my brother in law for free!! He bought it used about 2 or 3 seasons ago and never used it. I hooked it up today and did a vacuuming of the stove and fired it up it fed quite a few pellets and then would burn but seemed like it was almost over feeding and just die out. It did seem to be better if I left the door open although it wouldn’t feed the pellets. Both the blowers (Intake and exhaust) seem to be working. The intake only seems to fire periodically (not sure if this is normal). I have an englander stove upstairs so this is quite a bit different.

hi guys I just got a harman p68 from my brother in law for free!! He bought it used about 2 or 3 seasons ago and never used it. I hooked it up today and did a vacuuming of the stove and fired it up it fed quite a few pellets and then would burn but seemed like it was almost over feeding and just die out. It did seem to be better if I left the door open although it wouldn’t feed the pellets. Both the blowers (Intake and exhaust) seem to be working. The intake only seems to fire periodically (not sure if this is normal). I have an englander stove upstairs so this is quite a bit different.
I am guessing but he probably didn't get a manual. If that's the case you can google Harman stoves and find a manual print the pages then look in the Hearth websire and you will find a article that tells you how to set the Harman to make it work right. Sounds like your exh fan is either not working and needs cleaning or possibly clean the esp prob .
Remove the ash pan and you should see the exh fan then you should see where the exh goes on the right side. Looking in that hole you should see a small 1/8 inch rod which is the esp probe. This should be cleaned also .

I am guessing but he probably didn't get a manual. If that's the case you can google Harman stoves and find a manual print the pages then look in the Hearth websire and you will find a article that tells you how to set the Harman to make it work right. Sounds like your exh fan is either not working and needs cleaning or possibly clean the esp prob .
Remove the ash pan and you should see the exh fan then you should see where the exh goes on the right side. Looking in that hole you should see a small 1/8 inch rod which is the esp probe. This should be cleaned also .
Hi no I didn’t get a Manual. I did get the fire going by feathering the door to get the flame hot. It seems to be going good now . I’m going to clean it good Thursday when I’m off again. Just trying to get it running today while I was off. It’s in our basement and has taken it up about 5 degrees in an hour

You mention an intake and exhaust blower, what you have is a combustion blower and a convection blower; the combustion blower is the one that is on the exhaust side (the one Rona refers to: "Remove the ash pan and you should see the exh fan then you should see where the exh goes on the right side. Looking in that hole you should see a small 1/8 inch rod which is the esp probe. This should be cleaned also), the convection blower is the one that blows air through the heat exchanger (the tubes that exhaust warm air into the room from the top front of stove). Depending on what mode & settings your stove is on, it is normal for the convection blower to ramp up & down (room temp mode). you should read the post on page one by lbcynya called How Your Harman Works -what your manual doesn't tell you..
Be very careful you don't damage the ESP when you are cleaning the stove!

Reactions: Shoe0402
I had it running really good I am going to clean it good tomorrow when I wake up. The only other question I have is there away to chit this down without running out of pellets? I opened the door and had it for off that way but couldn’t get it to actually stop feeding. I was thinking about hooking an on/off switch up to the feed motor and maybe using that to shut the feed off that way? Has anyone ever done this?

6770884A-E484-4B50-8276-7978695E825E.jpeg
On the control panel, bottom right knob

It'll purge the pellets in the auger, but should shut down after awhile

Don’t flip the switch, turn the knob to the off position.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Try turning it to off and turn the feed rate and temp setting all the way down

Turn that dial to off position . Harman's are known to be slow to react when shutting down but it is possible you need a new switch. They are a potempimreter only spelled correctly. But are known for wearing out and needing to be replaced. I read about a new version of that swich that is on E-bay. Anyway they are reasonable in price and can be installed by removing the old one and installing the new one.
When you turn that dial to off it is normal to be slow to shut off and exh fan will run for several hours.

Is it in AUTO? Manual says "keep the home fires going". Turn the Temp down all the way and turn to AUTO and it should go out.

Agree with all above, also, on mine, when I turn the dial to "off", the "status" light goes off. And then yes, it still feeds very slowly to purge pellets and takes a good 30 mins or more for it to be fully shut down and fans off.

Yep, turn dial to off, don't touch the feed rate or any other dials or controls as others may mention; it will take awhile to turn off sometimes 45 minutes, but the fire will continue to get smaller. I doubt you have potentiometer problems, mine are the originals & they're 20 years old.

I will definitely try it the next time I shut it off. I started it up today and cleaned it good it now ha my basement at degrees and I turned my upstairs stove down all the way since it’s 73 upstairs. Now the only other question I think I have is what is the difference with the feed rate And the temp control knob? I am just using the stove heat not hooked up to a thermostat. I read to leave the feed at 4 but just wondering what that does compared to setting the stove temp?

Reactions: fmsm and Shoe0402
Hi guys got everything to chit down and it is burning good the only issue I have with it now is I filled it up last night er around 530 at night before I left for work. When I got home this morning and checked on it it was off and completely out of pellets. I have the feed adjust slightly below 4 and the selector to auto for igniter, stove temp setting, and the Temp number set to 3. Seems extremely excessive use of pellets

I shut it down again and unplugged it for a minute and it seems better now. I will monitor it. I noticed before unplugging it the feed motor would run for a minute or so at a time then shut off for a minute and kept doing that. It is now running for 5-7 seconds and shutting down for a minutes then feeding again. The other thing I am noticing is the distribution fan only seems to run with the ignite in auto. I haven’t watching it enough in manual but on the little I have watched it that is what I seen. I have it in auto now to force the air but would be nice to flip it to manual if possible

When I got my P61, I also ordered a room temp sensor so the stove would use less pellets...
OEM Room Temp Sensor part # 3-20-00906

Please read this sticky! This will allow you to understand how your stove operates and what settings are what. If you are unsure AFTER reading then by all means ask away, until then........
I will read this again tonight at work and try to get a better understanding of it.

Reactions: fmsm