Harman PC45 6 blink status

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RP21

Jan 9, 2020
Swla218487
Hi guys, I have an older Harman PC45 that came with the house I moved into. The stove worked find just needed a good clean and new pipes. I burned corn out of it for a few weeks, decided to switch to wood pellets. Of course I switched the burnpot. It ran fine for a week or 2. Just recently when I turn it on the stove ignites fine and the combustion fan comes on but the flame is tall almost seems like its sometimes blowing toward the glass. The stove heats up and flame stays going for 15-20 minutes or so then the combustion fan shuts off and the stove continues to feed pellets but the flames dies down and goes out. The distribution blower never comes on. I completely cleaned the stove, vacuumed out the fines box. Replaced both gaskets. Also replaced the ESP probe and Im still having the same problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Did you also switch your DIP switches around for pellets? And swap the combustion pot and fan parts from corn to pellets?

Did you also switch your DIP switches around for pellets? And swap the combustion pot and fan parts from corn to pellets?
I did not switch the DIP switches, the board I have must have them on the inside. I did not know where to find the right switches because the owners manual does not show anything about that. The pot I did switch from corn one and removed the auger. And for the fans I'm not sure what you mean. Thanks!

I did not switch the DIP switches, the board I have must have them on the inside. I did not know where to find the right switches because the owners manual does not show anything about that. The pot I did switch from corn one and removed the auger. And for the fans I'm not sure what you mean. Thanks!
Just a follow up, went to the Harman website found what control board I have and burn pot and i changed the DIP switches to what it said for pellets and I am still having the same problem.

When you switch between corn and pellets, there is a different fan inlet part that is in front of the combustion fan (behind the ash pan). A larger hole is used for pellets, smaller for corn.

Did you switch that out too?

When you switch between corn and pellets, there is a different fan inlet part that is in front of the combustion fan (behind the ash pan). A larger hole is used for pellets, smaller for corn.

Did you switch that out too?
Well that would probably be my problem. I have the smaller one in. I did not know that you had to do this too. Apparently the people who owned this before did not have both to switch they only have the small diameter one. I'll have to look into buying the big diameter one.. hopefully not too much money. Thank you for your help.

Harman 1-10-08516S is the part you need, not too expensive, an internet search will give you plenty of purchase options.

I've run the small hole inlet plate with pellets before as it keeps more heat in stove and works well for lower flame sizes, but for max BTU the larger hole will be needed.

PC45 can be a PITA to set up and run well compared to P43/61/68 models. Algorithm reacts slowly for auger feed after fire starts. Try adding a hand full of pellets a few times after large initial fire starts to die down. Keep fire burning hot and see if auger feed time increases enough to maintain fire via ESP temp increasing.

If stove thinks fire is going out I believe it just times out and stops like your seeing.

You may have to increase the initial auger feed time (via DIP switch settings on 1,2,3) to get hotter and longer lasting fire until auger starts to increase feed duty cycle.

I've run the small hole inlet plate with pellets before as it keeps more heat in stove and works well for lower flame sizes, but for max BTU the larger hole will be needed.

PC45 can be a PITA to set up and run well compared to P43/61/68 models. Algorithm reacts slowly for auger feed after fire starts. Try adding a hand full of pellets a few times after large initial fire starts to die down. Keep fire burning hot and see if auger feed time increases enough to maintain fire via ESP temp increasing.

If stove thinks fire is going out I believe it just times out and stops like your seeing.

You may have to increase the initial auger feed time (via DIP switch settings on 1,2,3) to get hotter and longer lasting fire until auger starts to increase feed duty cycle.
Thanks, I'll probably just end up buying the large hole inlet once I use up this corn. It seems like the corn burns a lot faster than the wood pellets. If I do end up switching before I get that large hole inlet I will be sure to give this a try. Thanks for the help!