Harman PC45 short lived igniter won't thread in.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bigkahuna427

Sep 2, 2018
Maine
I have replaced this igniter twice and barely get one season out of it. The blower works fine and i believe the issue is the igniter does not want to screw in. This is a stove I inherited so I do not know the entire history on it. The igniter has threads on the end of it but I have never been able to thread the igniter in. I think what is happening is the end of the igniter drops and doesn't sit over the end of the hole restricting air flow. In any event I am looking to dive into this and just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has had this issue and what the repair was. Looks to me to be difficult spot to get to and kind of in the middle of the stove.

I have no idea what you are talking about...
The Harman igniter is mounted in the cavity under the burn pot & is held in a bracket.
It is accessible by dropping the small cover plate held by (2) thumbscrews.
There are (2) 5/16" head zip screws holding the bracket in place.
The igniter doesn't "screw" into anything.
Please post a pic of what you have..

you may have some build up on the threads on the stove side cleaning may help. or a bur on the igniter side

the pc45 uses this type of igniter.
pc45igniter.png

Reactions: bags
The compression igniter directs heated air onto pellets in the burnpot through a port near the tip of the auger -- on my boiler that port is just to the right of the auger tip as you're looking into the burnpot. If that port is blocked, the igniter will have trouble lighting the pellets. I'd also suspect that the restricted air flow could overheat the igniter and shorten its life.

I had trouble with this myself after several trouble-free years from my heater. Now I use a piece of bare wire from a stripped piece of Romex to keep that port clear.